Bersa 380 & C-TAC IWB for carry combo?

This is a discussion on Bersa 380 & C-TAC IWB for carry combo? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - first time posting on this forum. First off - I'm not looking for a debate on 380 ACP stopping power vs 9mm and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa 380 & C-TAC IWB for carry combo?

Bersa 380 & C-TAC IWB for carry combo?

OK - first time posting on this forum.
    First off - I'm not looking for a debate on 380 ACP stopping power vs 9mm and up calibers - I know it's underpowered comparitively but I live in a relatively safe area and I believe that a mugger, road rage attacker, or local drunk will be deterred by a hit to a vital zone or multiple hits by a 380 ACP with good HP ammo. I'm not a cop facing the "crack crazed criminal" or looking to stop a terrorist.
    Anyway... I have an Astra A-100 in 9mm for open carry (legal in VA) and a Beretta 92 FS in 9mm for home defense (along with a tactical 12 gauge) but for everyday concealed carry I have bought a Bersa Thunder 380 and have been looking at the C-TAC IWB holster rig for it. Your opinions/experiences of this combo? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

The 380 everyday is better than the 9mm you leave at home. Many members here speak highly of the Bersa Thunder.

I personally don't have the C-TAC but have the Comp-Tac Infidel for my M&P and really like it. I have been thinking of adding a C-TAC to the holster drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    First off - I'm not looking for a debate on 380 ACP stopping power vs 9mm and up calibers...I live in a relatively safe area and I believe that a mugger, road rage attacker, or local drunk will be deterred by a hit to a vital zone or multiple hits by a 380 ACP with good HP ammo. I'm not a cop facing the "crack crazed criminal" or looking to stop a terrorist.
    You might not want a debate but with that comment you're just asking for it.

for everyday concealed carry I have bought a Bersa Thunder 380 and have been looking at the C-TAC IWB holster rig for it. Your opinions/experiences of this combo? Thanks in advance!
    I highly recommend the CTAC. I have one for each of my carry guns. I can't recommend the Bersa however. I have one and carry it when I can't carry anything else. I would like it more if I didn't have to keep sending it on for repair. Their warranty center is not that impressive either.

Can't speak for that specific combination, but I do have a C-TAC for my M&P9 (full size) and I absolutely love it. Even with my fully-loaded rig, the C-TAC keeps it stable, so I'm sure the Bersa will carry quite well. I find that it is very comfortable both when out and about and even when sitting around at home.
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

Many like the C-Tac, I have no experience with them. I carry my Bersa .380 in a Tucker Heritage IWB.

My bersa has been great, I carry it with DPX.

Which warranty center have you been using? Over on bersatalk.com the guy from one of the repair centers posts pretty often. You may find his info over there, maybe he can get your gun right.

OK - first time posting on this forum.
    First off - I'm not looking for a debate on 380 ACP stopping power vs 9mm and up calibers - I know it's underpowered comparitively but I live in a relatively safe area and I believe that a mugger, road rage attacker, or local drunk will be deterred by a hit to a vital zone or multiple hits by a 380 ACP with good HP ammo. I'm not a cop facing the "crack crazed criminal" or looking to stop a terrorist.
    What's a "safe area" and where can you find one in this day and age?
    If you shoot a drunk with a 380 and he notices it, it's just going to piss him off even more.

I've seen several people shot with the 380 and "premium" ammo & none of em have ever spent more than a night in the Emergency Room before going to jail or home & the majority of people I've seen shot with a 380 did not even spend the night in the hospital. Couple of em were shot under 10 feet and the bullet did not even stay in the skin, it just fell out. One guy was shot in the head & he never even had a concussion & the bullet bounced off his head.

IMHO the .22 Long Rifle is a better cartridge for self defense, but that's just my opinion.

My little Bersa is carried in a Uncle Mike's IWB that my wife did a little creative sewing to make it nice and snug.. has always worked fine..

IMHO the .22 Long Rifle is a better cartridge for self defense, but that's just my opinion.
    Hard to argue vs strong personal experience but I'm not buying that! Gimme my Corbon 90 grain .380 over 22 LR any day..

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I have a Bersa, and I love it. I carry it while running. Its a great gun, easy to operate, I have approx. 1300 rounds thru mine without a malfunction.
    Curry

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post
    If you shoot a drunk with a 380 and he notices it, it's just going to piss him off even more.
    I've seen several people shot with the 380 and "premium" ammo & none of em have ever spent more than a night in the Emergency Room before going to jail or home & the majority of people I've seen shot with a 380 did not even spend the night in the hospital. Couple of em were shot under 10 feet and the bullet did not even stay in the skin, it just fell out. One guy was shot in the head & he never even had a concussion & the bullet bounced off his head.
    OK, OK... the first reply to this thread was right --wasn't looking for this debate but this reply (quote above) isn't credible and realistic. Sure -if you shoot a person in the skull with ANY caliber at the right angle then it will glance off the bone or ride the scalp. But if you get hit in the skull at 7 yards or less with a 380 at a decent angle, it's going to do major damage. People shot at under 10 feet and the bullet barely penetrating the skin??? No frigging way. Maybe if they're wearing super heavy coats and the angle sucked... according to the tests, 380 ACP with modern HP ammo has a one shot stopping probability of over 50% and penetrates balistic gelatin 6-8 inches. I know lab tests and statistical studies don't always match up with real life, but I don't think that they're off by gigantic amounts.

To illustrate my point about any caliber having the potential to "bounce off" a person's skull;
    one of the survivors of the Virginia Tech shootings (the girl who called in 911 and directed response units to the scene) was shot in the back of her head by Cho's 9mm Glock at a distance of under 5 feet. The bullet glanced off the rear portion of her skull and fragmented across her scalp. She was still able to talk to 911 on the phone after she was shot. She was bleeding profusely but was able to walk out of the classroom when it was over and has no permanent injury from the shot.

I too have a c-tac and, while I don't have a bersa thunder, I imagine that combo would work very well together....heck if it can make my brick of a glock comfortable I couldn't imagine what it could do to a nice little bersa!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post
    there's a jefferson parish sheriff's deputy who lost his life to a .380 (story)

This is yet another of the notorious caliber wars, keep it cool guys.

If I'm not mistaken the primary question was regarding a gun/holster combo. He expressly said that he doesn't want to invoke any caliber war.

Advice and opinions on the internet are often worth less than you pay for it, we will always disagree on caliber effectivity. It's well documented that you can kill with any caliber so I suggest we stop arguing about variables, really, if he is comfortable carrying .380 then that is great. I was, and would be again.

I would not want three rounds of anything fired into my body.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of this.

this reply (quote above) isn't credible and realistic.
    I will agree that it is a little exaggerated.

But now I have to jump in on a couple of your comments.

...according to the tests, 380 ACP with modern HP ammo has a one shot stopping probability of over 50% and penetrates balistic gelatin 6-8 inches.
    6-8 inches of penetration is not very much, and ascribing a one-shot-stop percentage to a caliber is ridiculous.

The knock on .380 JHP is that it generally does not expand reliably, and when it does, the penetration is inadequate.

I know it's underpowered comparitively but I live in a relatively safe area and I believe that a mugger, road rage attacker, or local drunk will be deterred by a hit to a vital zone or multiple hits by a 380 ACP with good HP ammo. I'm not a cop facing the "crack crazed criminal" or looking to stop a terrorist.
    You are not a LEO, but what you have in common with a LEO is that if/when you shoot your weapon at someone you NEED them to stop. Why do you think you need to stop a terrorist or crack crazed criminal any more than a mugger, road rage attacker, or local drunk who is threatening your life? Either you need to stop the attacker (whichever criminal category he falls into) or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango
    I don't know for sure, but I would guess the bad guy shot him with FMJ, which is a completely different story. A .380 may be lethal just as .22 may be. The issue is not what can be lethal, but what has the greater ability to incapacitate. A .380 may incapacitate, but it would be more of a gamble (with JHP) than other larger calibers.

When I have to carry my Bersa .380, it's loaded up with FMJ.

WHY DO THE BAD GUYS ALWAYS HIT COPS IN THE ARM OPENING OF THEIR VESTS?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    He expressly said that he doesn't want to invoke any caliber war.
    Since he has jumped in on it to comment on another post. I have done likewise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links