Sig 232 - Your input requested...

This is a discussion on Sig 232 - Your input requested... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is needing a carry gun that is smaller and lighter than the gun she currently carries. I have finally convinced her that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 232 - Your input requested...

Sig 232 - Your input requested...

My wife is needing a carry gun that is smaller and lighter than the gun she currently carries. I have finally convinced her that the purse carry is not the best, nor preferred method of carry.

She has shot her mother's Sig 232 (.380 ACP) and really likes it. Any thoughts or opinions on this gun? I was not able to find any links, and it seems like a good "starter" carry gun as it is light, small, and has at least a .380 caliber.

Before I get one for her, I really would like some feedback from anyone that might have first hand experience longer than 50 rounds...

Thanks!
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I had a SIG P232, great gun.

I traded it on an XD9 SC, not because the SIG was bad but the XD was better. More ammo, slightly better caliber...

In the time I had it I carried it a lot and shot about 1000 rounds. Only failure I had was with one type of JHPs that the gun didn't like (Silvertips IIRC), all other HPs were ok. I also used Cor-Bon Pow'R Balls in it to be extra sure that in a defense scenario it would feed.
    The feed ramp on the P232 has a seam/join across it, this is what caused the FTF.

So other than a reminder to be sure that the HPs work in it ok, and that is prudent in any gun, I would say if she likes it then go for it.

The best option is a blued version, it doesn't come with the rubber Hogue grips that the Stainless does but it weighs less and costs less. You can add the Hogues yourself.

Don't buy cheap mags on eBay, get real SIG mags if you want extras, the cheap ones are hit and miss.

Takedown is as easy as it gets. Cleaning is easy, no real nightmare nooks to speak of.

You might want to look at the Bersas too, similar guns and less money again. But IMO you get what you pay for in a SIG, they're great guns.

JD
    Administrator
    The 232 is a very good .380, it has some features that I do not care for, it has the European mag release, it does not have a slide stop to keep the slide open, although I will admit I'm fuzzy on the operation, I'm sure Pete can clarify, the slide drops after the last round is fired, correct?

I don't care for the DA trigger pull, and I'm not overly fond of the smaller hammer, especially if your going for SA shot.

But what I do like about this gun is that it is sleek, it does carry well, and is very reliable. It handles recoil better than the Bersa .380 IMHO

Very sleek, it's a good size for small and large hands IMO but a thin slide, hides well.

DA first shot, SA subsequent. It has a good decocker to go to DA after loading.

Mag release is an anomaly, you might 'forget' where it is in a SD scenario...

I forget about the slide, but the guy who took it off me was shooting it the other day and didn't notice when it ran out of ammo, I guess because the slide didn't lock back for him.

What does she currently carry?

Sig P232 is small and light.
    You might check out the Sig P239, it comes in 9mm and .40 and is the same length as the P232, but 1/2" taller. My wife can conceal it just fine.

Walther PPK/S, is smaller than the P232 and is available in .32 or .380.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Sorry if my last post wasn't as coherent as normal, I was talking on the phone and typing - almost as bad as driving and Crackberrying.

I've owned it's older sibling the 230 since 1994. It's a solid little .380 that shoots like a "bigger" gun. I've probably put about 2K through mine, I even have my Dillon set up to reload .380 so I can practice with it. Every time I think of parting with it, I take it out and shoot it. The thing is surprisingly accurate and thanks to it's size very easy to shoot well.

The slide does lock back on the last shot, it locks on the empty magazine. Once you swap mags, slingshot the slide to release. The DA to SA is better than most as the decocker only drops the hammer part way.

Really the only thing not to like is the mag release which is the European heal type. This requires a 2 hand mag change and even with some practice is still a lot slower than a standard mag release. But, I do find it faster than a revolver with a speedloader. A lot of the smaller European guns are set up this way including some of the older SIGs, P38s, and the older HK P7s. It was explained to me this way:

The designers felt there was a greater chance of inadvertently dropping a mag than the odds of needing a fast reload.

I used to own and old Walther PP and have shot a friend's PPK, I prefer the 230 over both even with the mag release. I often use mine when I just can't get away with hiding my 1911 under a polo etc. In a VMII the pistol pretty much disappears.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    ... and it seems like a good "starter" carry gun as it is light, small, and has at least a .380 caliber.
    No, No and No again. The 232 is smallish and sort of light but small and light does not make a good "starter" gun, it goes the other way around. The 232 will teach her where to put her thumbs real quick though.

The 232 is a quality gun, but there are better options IMO. The 239 would be a great choice, mid size glocks (19) and XD's are some other.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, No and No again.
    But what do you really think?

BTW, Sixto knows his SIGs, I was hoping he would chime in...

I compared the P232 and P239 back a few years ago and settled on the P239. I like the .40 S&W over the 9mm, but there is no reason to not consider the 9mm as a very good option.

Personally, I would recommend that you have her shoot both the P232 and P239-9mm and have her decide for herself. They are very similar in size and very close in capacity (7 vs 8 rounds).
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Hmm, I liked the Sig 232, but I thought it was kinda big for a .380. That's probably why it shot well.

If she likes that, maybe check out a Kahr. Not the PMs, but the larger CW, K, or P models. They're a little larger & heavier, but that aids in shooting it & they're still very concealable. They have about the same capacity as the 232, but it's a 9mm.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    My wife is needing a carry gun that is smaller and lighter than the gun she currently carries. I have finally convinced her that the purse carry is not the best, nor preferred method of carry.

She has shot her mother's Sig 232 (.380 ACP) and really likes it.
    If she already knows she likes the 232 then she'd probably be more likely to carry it. Not sure what gun she's sizing down from or why but if the 232 is what she's most comfortable with then, that's the gun she should have. Are there more effective calibers than .380? Of course there are but the gun needs to suit it's owner or it won't get carried.

I'd be thrilled if my wife would agree to carry anything at all so, by all means, get her something she'll carry and be glad she's willing to do it.
    Jack

I completely sympathize with your dilemma/concern. I'm currently pulling my hair out trying to help my wife come up with a carry plan (handgun choice AND carry method) that will work for her.

B.

.380 vs. 9mm

I like Sig guns, but am not sold on the .380 caliber as a self defense choice. I think a 90 grain bullet with 200 ft-lbs of energy is a little light, compared to a 115 grain 9mm bullet with 400 ft-lbs of energy, when you want to stop an attacker.

You can buy 9mm guns that are roughly the same size and weight as the Sig P232, and I would rather have one of these in a self defense situation than a .380. Here is one candidate - the Kahr P9:

I had a blued 230 (alloy framed type and an earlier version). Burglar took it. Bought another and kept it for quite a while. I only sold it because .380 ammo was so high, and I decided I could get a 9mm that wasn't much bigger. I recall it was very natural as to "point and shoot" type firing, just like pointing my finger. I don't know if I would pick it over the Kahr (sold it too), but liked it much better than the PPK/S (had sold it, too, never missed it). If the shooter likes the light weight, light recoil, and size, they are nice little guns. I didn't put a whole ton of rounds through mine or anything, so this is just a general quick impression.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links