Charter Arms - What Were They Thinking?? - Page 2

Charter Arms - What Were They Thinking??

This is a discussion on Charter Arms - What Were They Thinking?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cosmo Funny that I should stumble up on this thread today. I just dropped a Charter Arms Undercover .38 off with my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charter Arms - What Were They Thinking??

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Funny that I should stumble up on this thread today. I just dropped a Charter Arms Undercover .38 off with my gunsmith to have it sent back for repair. The "weapon" and I use the term loosely is only 3 months old and one of my many mistakes in life. When (and if) this gun is returned to me in working order it is up for sale! I hate to sell it to some unsuspecting person, but hey....buying it taught me a valuable lesson, maybe it will do the same for someone else. I guess it would be ok if you used it to throw at someone, or maybe tied it to the end of a long stick and beat someone to death with it...I don't know...there may be some value in there somewhere. But as far as being a gun, I think you would have more luck inserting the bullets manually in the BG than you would have shooting him with this POC!

Let's see now...... Forcing a felonious BG to look at an 8x10 glossy of Rosie O'Donnell wearing a thong..........or, ........ trying to get a Charter Arms POC to function long enough to adjust his attitude......Hmmmmmmmm.

The jury would probably convict you on the first choice but say you were only joking on the second choice.

Regards,

just me

Total junk, I bought 2 .44 bulldogs and both have been back to the factory 2 times for new cranes and firing pins and they still are not reliable. I hate to see John Taffin, a person I admire, preach about how good these POS are. I wish I had been able to handle one of them before I ordered. The actions feel like there is sand in there. They both shot a foot high until I filed the front sight, and I have been unable to shoot a full cylinder without a misfire. And thats with both reloads with Federal primers and factory ammunition.

VIP Member

Charter Arms - What Were They Thinking??

We want your money!

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    Too sad when someting once good becomes bad. Check my avatar; there's my Charter Arms .357 'pug' which I have owned 21 plus years. I shoot .38s in it almost exclusively and it has worked well and been reliable. It was just what I needed at the time, a good quality gun not made to hold up to daily shooting but that would work if needed and not put a big chunk in you payday. It still does what I want it to. Sorry to hear the current company doesn't make then like that.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One of the great mistakes in my life was selling an old CA 38 bobhammer to a friend that needed a gun. Man I miss that thing.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    My most recent CCW acquisition was a Taurus 415 .41 mag.

It came down to a contest between it and a Charter .44. I've always kind of wanted a Bulldog, and I found one of the new ones at the right price.

I went with the Taurus, as it felt markedly sturdier, I thought the .41 mag had a little more juice and I had read mixed reviews on the Bulldog. The two guns were roughly the same size, both pointed well and both seemed mechanically sound.

Reading this thread confirms that I made the right choice.

But I still haven't ruled out the Charter for a "maybe later" purchase....if I could find a good'un, it'd sure be a neat piece.

Guess it just got itself under my skin. I've had guns do that before, and it'll happen again.

Reminds me of a great country song by Tracy Byrd: "I'm not sorry, I wasn't wrong, and it's probably gonna happen again...."
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Hey there,

I have a Taurus Total Ti .41 Mag with a ported barrel and I luv it! Hope you like yours.

As to Charter, and as I stated in an earlier post, they know full well that they are not manufacturing a good firearm. It appears they just don't give crap. They will continue to bury the Charter name while they laugh all the way to the bank.

Regards,

just me

Taurus has a full line of large bore compact revolvers that will fit just about anyones taste. As for the Charter Arms I still kick myself for trading away the 44 I had 20+ yrs ago.

HKR
    I've had an old CA .38 for about 13yrs now. Don't know how old it is, but it has always been reliable. Seems well built. Guy I did sheetrock for gave it to me one week when he was short of cash. Too bad my current employer doesn't pay in guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links