advice on 9mm / .40 compact :Merged

This is a discussion on advice on 9mm / .40 compact :Merged within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried to use the search feature, but did come up with the type topic I was looking for. I am going to be going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on 9mm / .40 compact :Merged

advice on 9mm / .40 compact :Merged

I tried to use the search feature, but did come up with the type topic I was looking for. I am going to be going to a show with an acquaintance / dealer who is going to help me find a deal with one of his colleagues. I'm going to be picking up either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 for home defense, but am also shopping for a 9mm or .40c compact semi-auto.

I want to go compact because I will be using the gun at the range and for home defense, but my wife is also going to learn to shoot and practice at the range so if something happens at home, she can "hole" up with the kids in a locked bedroom with the pistol while the dogs and I head downstairs to try to deal with the situation.

Right now, my favorite and what I'm shopping for is the S&W M&P 9mm or .40 compact. Felt great in my hand, and I'm liking the fact that I can put the small backstrap on for my wife's significantly smaller hand.

Are there any other specific recommendations you all would have? Specific Glock, Sig Sauer or other makes / models? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and information!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    There are lots of good compact guns out there at reasonable prices , and the M&P is a fine firearm . I would suggest tho since it will be for both you and your wife that you take her shopping with you and have her " coonfinger " the guns . If you run across one look at the Kahr cw line too since it is affordable ( for a kahr ) and seems to be getting great reviews .

On a side note , I am not a fan of the .40 due to they way i perceive its recoil ( i have yet to shoot one that does not seem " Snappy " so if your wife is not an avid shooter the 9mm may well be a better choice since she is more likely to shoot it recreationaly and thusly become a better shot .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Wits-Z View Post
    Felt great in my hand, and I'm liking the fact that I can put the small backstrap on for my wife's significantly smaller hand.
    That is a hard point to beat...

You're right RR.. I would love to have her come with me to feel some different weapons. Right now, she's seriously opposing the gun purchase. We live in a nice neighborhood, but we are within 25 minutes of some rough areas. My wife can't comprehend that our neighborhood and area is certainly a target for desperate individuals coming out to hit. I now have two young children, and I'm simply not interested in taking a chance that something DOES happen, and all I've got is the two dogs and my baseball bats.

Anyway, I am trying to find something that is in the middle. Mainly comfortable for me, and usable for her in the event she changes her position and will join me for practice at the range.

Someone else mentioned the Kahr to me, so I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a few examples at the show. Thanks again.

Wits , I like Kahr , they are as close to " a revolver with a slide " as you can find , so are simple to operate for a novice , and with the longer trigger pull are not as prone to discharge prematurely as the glocks or xd in the hands of the excitable or inexperienced . From what you have said Your wife is much like mine when we married , Mine did not " hate guns " but saw little use for a pistol when we had diapers and baby food to buy . An incident occured where she stopped an attempted rape with one of my handguns that was in the car , and nowdays she has a ccw , and in fact has been a police officer over the years . I am kinda proud of her transformation .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Wow.. I'm glad your wife was able to deal with the situation and is ok.. I can imagine that would be an experience that would certainly change your frame of reference with respect to personal protection.

I sure would rather have my wife not be a fan of guns than to have her perspective changed by that kind of situation.

Thanks again for your advice!

As far as your shotgun choices go either one is a fine choice, my 2cents about your pistol question is that if you like the M&P go for it.
    They seem to get nothing but good reviews, I have never shot one.
    As far as the 9mm or 40 question, I personally like the 9mm in the smaller sub compact guns, the recoil is less and generally they are a little more controllable during quick fire situations. Before all the 40 fans circle their wagons, I carry a Glock 23 as a duty weapon 40+ hours a week and I have no problem with the 40cal. its a great round as is the Glock a great weapon, again its just my opinion. If you want to consider different brands, the Springfield XD series are great weapons, Kahr Arms and Taurus make nice carry weapons also. good luck with your choices. CJR.

Thanks a lot CJR.. I'll get a hold of an XD9 or XD40 before I make the final decision.. If I can find any Kahr Arms, I'll give them a feel too.

Wits , I would rather my wife not had that experience either . Howeaver she came out ok , she did not submit , she fought and fought well . A handgun made her ( 5-1 and about 100 lbs ) the better of a 6-6 250 VCA . It was available to her and she used it . She carries the same pistol as her ccw today lol she wont get rid of that dammed ol detonics.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Wits , I would rather my wife not had that experience either.

RR -- I hope my post did not convey an implication that you viewed your wife's situation positive at all -- other than the fact that she had the will and resources to protect herself. I absolutely did not mean for it to read that way.

We shall see how my wife adapts and whether she will be willing at least try firing the handgun.

I will admit to not having any experience with the M&P's - The old Sigmas left me with some "trust" issues regarding S&W.

Having said that, my personal belief is that the single best all around defensive pistol is the Glock 19 - so long as you can reliably keep your finger "at register". It's small enough to conceal very easily, light enough not to be a burden and very capable in the right hands.

Personally, I truly despise .40's - I would not even consider owning another one. If you want more than a 9mm, my next recommendation would be a Glock 30. However, with the right ammo and good shooting skills, the 9 is more than adequate for personal defense, imo... It would also be much easier for a smaller person (like your wife) to handle, shoot & control.

870 vs 500? Either are great choices, although I grew up with an 870, so that would be my choice. You won't go wrong with either one. Good luck!

Wits , I in no way took your post to say that , in fact mine was somewhat agreeing with you that in a proper world our ladies would not have such concerns . The experience was not positive in any way , it was traumatic . The result was positive in the sense she took charge of her own safety , even demanding to go shoot , and shoot properly for defense . BTW she consistently posts square range scores in the high 90s for qualification ( you know gvt quantifiable scoring lol ) , and kicks some butt in fun house courses . I wouldn't want her on the " other end " of a gunfight , but am dammed glad to have her at my side when things tend to slide south .

Gary i was just like you on the S&W issue and for the same reason ( sigma ) untill i shot an M&P . Once you shoot one report back bud lol , that is all i am going to say .

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I recommend the S&W M&P compact. I bought one as an alternative to my full size 1911 for hot days down here, and I am very pleased with it. Accurate, quite controllable, and completely reliable.

I don't want to take this thread afield, but I did want to comment on part of your post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wits-Z View Post
    I want to go compact because I will be using the gun at the range and for home defense, but my wife is also going to learn to shoot and practice at the range so if something happens at home, she can "hole" up with the kids in a locked bedroom with the pistol while the dogs and I head downstairs to try to deal with the situation.
    I am hoping you will take a moment to re-consider this part of your plan. Single-person houseclearing is iffy at best, and puts your potential assailant at an advantage.

Might I suggest a slight alteration?

Having her holed up in the room with kids and dog is a great idea. On the phone with 911 the whole time, of course.

But since your potential adversary has to come upstairs to get to you, use the terrain to your advantage. Find a position at the top of the stairs where you can cover the stairs and let them come to you. You'll be in an excellent position to make them regret their choice.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

I am hoping you will take a moment to re-consider this part of your plan. Single-person houseclearing is iffy at best, and puts your potential assailant at an advantage.

Might I suggest a slight alteration?

Having her holed up in the room with kids and dog is a great idea. On the phone with 911 the whole time, of course.

But since your potential adversary has to come upstairs to get to you, use the terrain to your advantage. Find a position at the top of the stairs where you can cover the stairs and let them come to you. You'll be in an excellent position to make them regret their choice.

Matt
    +1! Absolutely! The best word that I can think of to describe a guy who attempts to do a "house clearing" by himself is "Deceased".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links