The "Impulse "Buy

The "Impulse "Buy

This is a discussion on The "Impulse "Buy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It finally happened today. I went into a gunshop and came out with something that I had NO intention of buying when I went in. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Impulse "Buy

Senior Moderator

The "Impulse "Buy

It finally happened today. I went into a gunshop and came out with something that I had NO intention of buying when I went in.

There is a gunshop that I hangout in occasionally, usually going there every Friday since I work at 4-10 hour days. The owner is a member of my gun club, used to work where I do and he always has some great conversation. He is also a gun nut, buying anything and everything that is new. He's been known to buy stuff just to shoot and then resale as a used gun. As a result of that, I get to see and play with all of the latest and greatest stuff.

Although he lets me handle anything I want, its not often that I buy guns. Fact of the matter is, I have enough that I just dont need another. When I do buy a gun, I will thoroughly research it and mull over it for awhile before I actually buy it. I will always shop for the lowest price and it may takes me months to get what I want.

Today was different. He had 2 Keltec PF-9s in there and I had never seen one. Normally, I'm not that high on Keltecs as I see many models of them on the range when doing CHL classes and some of them work and some of them dont.Some display great accuracy and some of them dont.

So he shows one to me and I fondle it. Its a single stack, has a 7+1 capacity, in a size that is small, but not so small as to be to small for my rather large hands. The thing that I liked most about it is that is FLAT. Very flat. Flat enough so that dropping the gun into the pocket of my 'cargo" shorts was virtually undetectable. I put it into my front pocket...no bulge. Put it into my side pocket...no bulge. Finally, I dropped it into my right rear pocket and still there was no tell tale bulge. Since I am left handed and I out my wallet in my left pocket, that back pocket is a perfect place for a 8 shot 9MM.

The real beauty of the gun came when actually shooting it. I must admit that I really didn't expect a whole lot from the gun and would have been satisfied with it if it just fired like it was supposed to without malfunction.

Man...was I ever surprised.

Although the trigger is not the best, it is workable. The first shot dead centered a two inch diameter bullseye at 7 yards. After some slow fire, which basically shot the center out of the bullseye, I decided to shoot it as I would if I ever had to use it...rapid fire, basically point shooting.

The recoil was a bit brisk, but buy no means distracting,after all it is a small gun. It was very controllable, firing all shots into about an 8 inch diameter at 7 yards, this with me cranking the trigger as fast as I could.

Backing up to 10 yards and using the small sights with some trigger control proved that the little gun as as accurate as I can shoot it. No malfunctions of any kind using Winchester Ranger SXT.

About the only thing I dont like about it is the slide must be pulled back to release the slide after it locks. I would prefer to just hit the slide release for a rapid reload but it just ain't happening...reminds me of a Glock. That and the fact that Keltec only supplies one magazine with their guns. Whats up with that ? Any semi auto ought to have a least TWO mags come with it.

So, it was an impulse buy and one that is very rare for me. I am glad that I did it though. I am seriously considering making it my new back gun after I put some more rounds through it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    I figured there are enough threads with Keltecs on them already.

It looks no different than any other except that it is flatter.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Welcome to the great " buy em when ya see em " club LOL

Edited to add

Please pick it out , i have a khar , and want to feel better/worse that i did not wait for a cheaper option LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    I'm no P-95 when it comes to pictures...but here ya go...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Arkies have great taste in guns. I carry the old P11 alot (not my main carry piece) and love it. Congrats on the addition. We don't always need them but it sure is fun when they follow you home.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Assistant Administrator
    Pic is fine Bob - thx for that. Must say I have yet to handle one but feedback so far seems quite good. Only one question - how much space is there inside trigger guard for finger? I found P3AT I had very tight for space in that area - enough to bother me.

Haha - ''impulse'' buys ... yeah - been there. Went into gun shop three or so years ago - wanted some SD ammo. Came out with NIB Super Redhawk, and had them fit a Millet red dot. Shucks, that dented my pocket book that day LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I figured there are enough threads with Keltecs on them already.

It looks no different than any other except that it is flatter.
    Point taken, HotGuns, but I thought you might post some pics of your targets, too.

Besides, I just love to post that TTIWWOP emoticon!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    Only one question - how much space is there inside trigger guard for finger? I found P3AT I had very tight for space in that area - enough to bother me.
    I've got fair sized fingers and it dosent bother me. There is enough slack in the trigger that resting your finger on the trigger leaves about 1/4 of an inch from the trigger guard.

I just noticed that the rear sight is adjustable for windage. Not that I needed it, but it is a nice touch.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds good - thx
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    ****** hot , I guess i will just have to bite the bullet so to speak . Tho i have a Kahr pm i allways look for a better answer at a cheaper price .. I suspect that the little pf aint it .. but i will never know till i get one .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Redneck,
    for a "little "gun the sights arent half bad. They are the three dot type which actually show up pretty well on the black. It may be a moot point since its a belly gun but it dont hurt either.

One thing about it, this thing can go anywhere with me and barely be noticable. Plus, 8 shots of 9mm is definatley better than .22,.25,.32or.380. I'll use this as my "unarmed" gun when I dont expect to have to use it.
    For everything else, its the .45.

I'll think I'll add a pocket to my BP vest and put it there for "emergencies".

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I carry my PF9 all the time and love it. It is amazing to me how small it is yet it isn't too small.

FMC

Impulse buy? For me, call Nostradamus>make a prediction>then wait 240 hrs

Criminals must wait 240 hrs before buying their guns as well
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

[QUOTE=HotGuns;421390]
    That and the fact that Keltec only supplies one magazine with their guns. Whats up with that ? Any semi auto ought to have a least TWO mags come with it.
    QUOTE]

I totally agree with that last point you make - the Bersa I just bought also only came with 1 mag - shelling out $30 right away for the extra mag was a bit annoying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links