Need Advice -- Bluing Or Ss For Ccw Gun

This is a discussion on Need Advice -- Bluing Or Ss For Ccw Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog (circa 1982). The original bluing job was not very good. I am debating about whether to reblue ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice -- Bluing Or Ss For Ccw Gun

Need Advice -- Bluing Or Ss For Ccw Gun

I have a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog (circa 1982). The original bluing job was not very good. I am debating about whether to reblue it or to chrome it.

I know that police/military prefer a non-glare finish (bluing), presumably because it does not tip your position in the dark.

On the other hand, chroming is more practical for either a wet climate (Pacific Northwest) or a hot climate (South/Southwest), in terms of rust prevention. I live in a very hot climate (desert).

What is your advice?

2. Remove Ads

Robar MP3. Kinda looks like brushed chrome, only tougher.

Sorry no pics
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Dirt Dog is right about Robar (I'm sure he meant NP3), its a great finish- but it is a little bright. It looks almost like a dull gold in person. But to answer your question:

If the gun is Concealed- the finish doesnt matter that much, because its covered- 80% inside a holster and the rest under garments. Of course the black is going to be less obvious if it is accidently uncovered or you open carry.

I will say this for hard chrome- I bought a used Glock23 (cheap)that had a very warn and scuffed finish. When choosing between finishes I went with hard chrome because it's humid here and I sweat alot. It looks nice, but the great thing is cleaning- just wipe it down in seconds!

I have both finishes and really it comes down to what you like when its out of the holster.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I like stainless or hard chrome

Most of my carry guns are stainless steel or hard chrome. I think these materials have the following advantages over blued steel:

1. Greater rust and corrosion resistance.
    2. Never needs refinishing
    3. Cleans up more easily - especially hard chrome
    4. Very attractive finish visually

I don't buy the old argument that a light colored gun will "give your position away" in low light. When the gun is concealed under clothing nobody can see it anyway, so all guns are equal until the draw. Once drawn, you will generally use the gun immediately or the attacker will back off and you won't fire - so that you either want him to see it, or really don't care. How often are you going to be sneaking around in low light with a drawn gun, stalking an adversary?

Here is a picture of my Glock 23 with the slide refinished in hard chrome. After 10 years of use it doesn't show a mark and looks brand new.

I myself, prefer SS over blue.

But If I had to choose between blue and Tenifer it would definitely be Tenifer. Matte finish, hard to beat Tenifer coatings.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Robar MP3. Kinda looks like brushed chrome, only tougher.

Sorry no pics
    I agree, I have seen alot of good photos of np3, pretty tough finish. I personally like blued guns better but the SS will definitely keep your gun in better shape for longer. If you want to stick with black maybe you could do a black duracoat. That stuff is supposed to be very good also.

Thank you for the info. The reason that I mentioned bluing is in case the gun accidentally flashes through the front of a coat. I also did have one situation where I confronted two burglars who were breaking into my house towards dusk.

The other twist in this is that I am thinking of applying for a position as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff. If I do apply, and get the appointment, I am thinking of using the Bulldog as an ankle back-up gun.

There are plenty of good finishes out there. NP3 is pretty much the cream of the crop. I have heard good things about "Roguard" from Robar as well. Also Gander Mountain has some interesting looking finishes available.

I think the NP3 is basically a hard chrome finish, with teflon mixed in.

VIP Member
    pogo2 ,where did you have the 23 hard chromed? It looks great!

Arotek in Washington state did the hard chrome

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    pogo2 ,where did you have the 23 hard chromed? It looks great!
    The hard chrome on my Glock 23 slide was done by Arotek in Washington state:

Arotek website

They did a good job and the finish has a matte stainless appearance, and is not shiny. The gun also has Arotek night sights, stainless guide rod, extended mag release and extended slide stop.

The hard chrome seems almost indestructible and does not scratch. Here is a photo of the other side of the gun:

Well, all my handguns are blued, and I live in Texas. There is a GIANT reason that I chose the blueing over SS.

I think they are cool looking.

Yep, that is the reason why. I used to have a SS hadngun, and I did not like the fact that it felt heavier. I exchanged it for the blued version, and that is history.

The reason that I jump in here and tell my "story" is that I have several blued weapons, and wear them as my concealed handgun in the smack middle of the Texas summers. As with all this monsoon rain we have been getting, the humidity is incredibly high. I do sweat a lot, and because of that, I have to take that into account. So far, all my handguns look well, with no signs of any additional wear and tear....
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I like SS carry guns when I can.

I do like Hard chrome for revolvers though so go that way.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Answer this question and you'll have your answer:

When sneaking around in the dark, do you want the BG to see your gun (for effect) or not (for stealth)? Can you find a middle ground?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Thanks pogo2,I'll contact them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links