Taurus 1911B

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911B within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just drooled all over one at Slug Masters. Has anyone put any rounds through one? It feels like a dream! and the Price! WOW ...

Thread: Taurus 1911B

Sponsor

Taurus 1911B

I just drooled all over one at Slug Masters.
    Has anyone put any rounds through one?
    It feels like a dream! and the Price! WOW $530.50 OTD w/night sights!
    This is definitely going to the top of my wish list.
    How is Taurus' warranty/service reputation?

Might have to do something about the huge beaver tail though.
    Attached Images
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

Warranty is lifetime .. some have had good exp some not at that price if you think you want it better buy it as prices have been going up most are going 600+

It's a $450 gun IMO. Yeah, it has checkering but it's pretty shoddily done, there are gaps under the rear sights on many and the finish isn't very good.
    For $450 it would be a good deal, as it's NOT a bad gun at all- it's just way overpriced.
    Taurus CS leaves much to be desired from what I hear.

I bought a very slightly used Kimber for $550, I'd hold out for a deal like this on a Kimber Colt or SA.
    Hoplophile

Administrator
    I agree with Hobbes, but I dont think I would pay $350 for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    We saw one at the range that had the plunger tube fall off...

Think of it like this, with all those features, and that low of a price, there has to be a reason for it.

Taurus does have a lifetime warranty, but they are slow. They sell a lot of guns but haven't increased the number of 'smiths IMO.

Don't buy it for the warranty, don't buy anything just for a warranty.

Buy it because it doesn't need that warranty, and for that I would recommend maybe looking elsewhere.

/I do have a few Taurus guns.

Owned one, read "owned" one, now gone. Hold for another gun.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I own both the PT1911 and a Kimber Pro Carry II. The PT1911 does everything the Kimber does for $250 less than I paid for the Kimber. That being said the fit and finish is a little better on the Kimber, but not by much!!!

I have put over 1500 rds thru 2 PT1911s and they worked every time the trigger was pulled. They are very accurate, the checkering is machine cut and not as nice as hand cut(but hand cut is much more expensive), the fit on both of mine is very good, the finish is the PT1911s weak spot. I have only found 1 JHP that won't feed reliably, every other brand of ammo has fed just fine. Are they perfect, no way but they are an excellent range/home defense gun; for the money they are the best value on the market right now in a 1911 platform. IMO
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

You can get a Springfield 1911 GI cheaper, or a Mil-spec for around the same price. I believe in the "value" priced 1911 category the Springfields are #1. I love my PT145, it's been flawless , but quality seems to be hit and miss with Taurus, go with something that has better reputation, espescially with a 1911.

I had to send my PT 24/7 PRO in for some barrel issues. I sent it registered mail with return receipt. After receiving my return receipt and allowing about two weeks to pass bye, I called Taurus to check on the progress. The woman at CS stated that they never received the gun. I said that I had the return receipt in my hand with a signature on it. Long story short, she basically called me a liar. Two days later they called me and said that they had found the gun. I told them to return the gun to me and that I would be selling it and I would NEVER purchase another Taurus product for as long as I live. Their response to me was , " You have that right, have a nice day " They do so much volume that they could care less if they lose your business or not. +1 to Pete, buy it because it is engineered not to need warranty work because the people at Taurus could care less!!!
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

I also would recommend looking to Springfield rather than Taurus in that price range. The PT1911 isn't bad, but the Springer is a much better base gun. Most of those 'custom' features on the Taurus aren't made of very good components, and while the Springfield is much plainer, it's built out of good parts.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I own one, which I bought back in February for $499.95.

I've put about 400 rounds through it without a single hitch.

I'm impressed with the workmanship, EXCEPT for the finish, which looks like they just powder-coated the gun. The finish wears VERY quickly.

I've used Taurus' lifetime repair policy just one time, about 15 years ago, with a Model 66 revolver that was damaged by faulty FACTORY ammo (CCI Blazer - VERY hot load - never again), and they did me right. Even reblued the gun.

I've owned four Taurus firearms over the years, and haven't regretted a single one of those purchases.

Maybe I have more sense than money but I love mine no problems at all, the fit is good shoots great and is accurate, it may not be 1/2" at 50 yards but when will I need to shoot 50 yards thats why I have a rifle. The fit and finish may be nicer on the expensive 1911s but IMO its not $2000.00 nicer.

Say I love my and now have over right at 200 rounds through it. So far not a hiccup. It now rides on my right hip everyday. The finish is not the best but i decided that was ok as it is going to be carried and need to be refinished at some point anyways. (will cost about $100). Shoots great, so far better than I can myself. I would recommend it, but Springfield certaily makes a very nice pistol and I looked very hard at the Loaded, but opted to save $200 for now and buy ammo with that along with a holster. Hope this helps.

Also in the 200 rounds I have feed SWC,FMJ,JHP and all have feed reliably and each have been made for different manufacturers.

Sponsor
    I put my name on the waiting list for a Stainless PT 1911 at one of the local shops today. They said the date has been pushed back twice now, but they're hoping sometime in Jan. I might even have the money by then!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Links