Defensive Carry banner

Finally picked up a 1911

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ICTsnub 
#1 · (Edited)
I went to the gun show today. At the second table I went to I saw this Colt MK IV series 80. The guy had it priced at $725, which was probobly a fair price as is. I asked him whats the lowest he would take for it and he told me $675. I told him I had $625, and I ended up taking it home. It has a couple nicks on it and not the original grips, I wouldn't consider it excellent condition. Its very nice though. Also its the officer's model (commander size). Do you all think I got a good buy, or did I over pay? BTW, I accidentally posted this in the wrong section.

#2 ·
I think it's a pretty good buy! If it's got original factory equipement, you might consider a heavier recoil spring. Take it to a smith and see what shape the internals are in and then go from there. I've got Hogue finger grips on my 1911 and love them. I'll not go back to standard grips again. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
There were actually three models of the MK IV Series 80: Gov't (5"), Commander (4.25") and Officer's ACP (3.5"). The Government was my first 1911 too, way back when. It was an excellent gun that I wish I still had. I can't say much about the price as it's way too regionally affected but I think mine cost me roughly $525 NIB around '93 or so. Inflation and public demand always drive price on older Colt gun.
Jack

#7 ·
I have almost the same .45 though it's nickled plated and is a full-size 1911. I bought it new about 25 years ago, used to carry it on duty cocked and locked, during the "police revolver era". That dark .45 bore contrasted with the light nickel made that bore look much bigger than it really is. They are great guns, I'll bet you will enjoy yours

#10 ·
I have an Officer's, mid '90's stainless, #1 favorite pistol. Original grips were junk, no loss. Mine was $575 DEALER COST, if you like yours, you did fine. Wish I could have done the show, but glad to see another Colt fan in town.

#11 ·
Fair price

The $625 you paid for a used Series 80 Colt Officer's model sounds fair to me. Here is one for sale on Gunbroker, for example, priced at $690 in a straight auction with no reserve. It appears to be the same thing that you describe as your new gun:

Gunbroker auction Colt Officer's model

This particular gun makes a very good CCW piece, as it is quite thin and easy to conceal. You could consider modifying it slightly for that purpose by adding a beavertail grip safety for shooting comfort and thin grip panels to reduce grip thickness. You should also test it thoroughly with practice and carry ammo to make sure it works reliably.

#12 ·
I got my Colt Officers I think around 1986. (I know they hadn't been out very long when I got it) I paid around $650 NIB.

I added Pachmyr grips and have shot probably 20,000 rounds. Have replaced barrel link and springs and still going strong.

The Colt 1911's always seem to hold their value so I think you probably got a very fair deal.

Next work on it will probably be different grips or go back to the original walnut (I still have them), get some new 2 color contrasting night sights and probably some new wolff springs and start carrying it again.

(Maybe a trigger job as well)

#13 ·
I like the fact that Colt products hold thier value so well, that is one of the reasons I got it over a Kimber. I will have my pictures loaded shortly. I forgot to mention that it's stainless, (which is why the small inperfections stand out). I had the officer's model and the commander confused. I thought they were one in the same. It's the officer's model though. Now all I need to do is learn how to work on it. I've been told they are kind of complicated. Im also used to working on simple guns (glocks and sigs). I would also like to make the trigger very light (2-3lb). Any suggestions what I should do with the trigger?

#14 ·
Trigger - Recommend about 4 lbs

I would also like to make the trigger very light (2-3lb). Any suggestions what I should do with the trigger?
If you want a trigger job I advocate taking it to a skilled gunsmith, as this job is difficult and poor workmanship can lead to dangerous problems, such as multiple shots with one trigger pull.

I personally think that a 2-3 lb trigger pull on a 1911 is a little light, especially if the gun is used for carry or defense. I have had a couple of 1911s set to 4 lbs by a gunsmith and this seems quite adequate for accurate shooting. I once owned a Colt 1911 that a previous owner had set to a 2.5 lb. trigger pull, and it kept going off prematurely for me because I couldn't seem to adjust my touch to such a light pull.

#16 ·
I highly recommend getting a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's The Colt .45 Automatic, vol. I Shop Manual if you want to learn all the details of the 1911. Volume I is great for step by step disassembly, detail stripping and the general workings info. Volume II gets more into specific gunsmithing info (so I'm told). It's the best reference there is.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...805&title=Jerry+Kuhnhausen+SHOP+MANUALS/BOOKS

Jack

#17 ·
my glock 19 that I carry often is 2.5-3lb pull. For some reason Im a trigger sensitive shooter. I understand were your coming from, about the courts and hair triggers. If it's justified then it shouldn't matter how your gun is set up. I agree that smoothing out the pull will make it alot better though. Right now it has this kind of spungy feel to it.

#18 ·
Just remember that the Glock trigger swings in an arc and where you place your finger on the trigger affects travel length and poundage (through leverage). The 1911 trigger is a straight, linear pull so a 3 lb Glock and 3 lb 1911 will feel very different.
Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.