Kahr QC?

This is a discussion on Kahr QC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a member of a couple of other forums. The are 'specialty" forums. I respect this forum for the broad range of experience and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr QC?

Kahr QC?

I am a member of a couple of other forums. The are 'specialty" forums. I respect this forum for the broad range of experience and tastes among members.
    That said, I will soon be purchasing a new Kahr K9 or T9 stainless pistol. Have there been any recent QC issues or know problems with Kahr firearms? Has one pistol be less suseptible than the otjer in regards to QC issues?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The polymere models, particularly the PMs have "seemed" to be more problematic.

Personally, I've had NO problems with mine & have had it for over a yr.

The ones you're asking about have generally been fine.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Never heard of problems with Kahr 9mm guns, only .40s and that was a while ago IIRC.

I've got a CW9 (polymer frame) that's been great to me. Can't speak on the steel models.

Both my PM9 and my dad's PM9 have been rock solid. Such good shooters that another friend of mine is going next week to purchase one as well. My experience has been entirely positive. Hope this helps.

Administrator
    I've had lots of Kahrs, sold lots of Kahrs and have a lot of friends with Kahrs. I've read of the problems on the net, but the ones I've seen in person have been operator error. The smaller you get on any auto, the more chances you have of failure due to operator error.

I buy and recommend Kahrs every chance I get, but the micro's are not good for novice shooters.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I have an MK9 and a K9. Good, reliable guns. They are older guns, however, both purchased in the 1990's. They do not seem to be a very popular item around these parts, so the only ones I have shot are my own.

I have no experience with the polymer models, which seem to be the ones getting slammed so heavily for poor quality control on some of the other gun boards........

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've had lots of Kahrs, sold lots of Kahrs and have a lot of friends with Kahrs. I've read of the problems on the net, but the ones I've seen in person have been operator error. The smaller you get on any auto, the more chances you have of failure due to operator error.

I buy and recommend Kahrs every chance I get, but the micro's are not good for novice shooters.
    Hello Sixto,
    I'm interested in the type of operator error you mention. Would you describe the specific error? I have held off buying a Kahr because of what I believed to be QC problems.

whw

I'm not Sixto, but my guess is that when he is saying 'Operator Error', that could mean one of two things:

1) limp-wristing the gun
    2) Not using the slide-stop to load the first round

Each can cause problems with feeding, jamming, returning to battery, etc.

Also, a failure to break the gun in right. Khar's seem to need some serious oil and cleaned every 150 rds or so while breaking it in to insure a malfunction free or close to it break in. I think this is more so for the smaller framed ones like the PM and MK models and the PM's being the hardest to break in of them.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    I'm not Sixto, but my guess is that when he is saying 'Operator Error', that could mean one of two things:

1) limp-wristing the gun
    2) Not using the slide-stop to load the first round

Each can cause problems with feeding, jamming, returning to battery, etc.
    Yup, thats it on the nose. In addition to shooting garbage ammo and not breaking the pistol in before the gripes begin. A lot of guys take the gun out of the box, load it up with some garbage ammo and expect it to run flaw less. Kahrs are well built machines with tight tolerances, Kahr tells everyone who buys one you got to break it in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, thats it on the nose. In addition to shooting garbage ammo and not breaking the pistol in before the gripes begin. A lot of guys take the gun out of the box, load it up with some garbage ammo and expect it to run flaw less. Kahrs are well built machines with tight tolerances, Kahr tells everyone who buys one you got to break it in.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to give the Kahr a second look. I had pretty much written them off.

whw

I took my MK9 out today for the first time at the range, and I admit to being a bit apprehensive about waiting to experience some sort of failure.

I shot a 100 FMJ rounds with no problems at all, and I was impressed at the feel of the gun.

I still need to break-it in more, including HP ammo, but if it continues to be as good as it was today, I might look into getting another Kahr as a companion piece (probably a CW9).

Don't discount a Kahr from just reading about them on the web. See if you can try some out at a range, and go from there.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My CW40 had a few burps on the break in, but I was completely expecting them. The most common was a fail to load and the bullet would get stuck on the feed ramp. All of them however I narrowed down to being my error through limp wristing.

I seem to have a problem getting my meaty hands around the grip firmly without biting my thumb on the slide. Just a training issue and the last 50 rounds I ran through it were flawless. Going to run a few more boxes of ammo and work on the training before I start carrying it. I actually enjoyed the opertunity for malfunction drills until my hands were just to numb from shooting and reloading and I had to stop.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I am SOOOOO torn when it comes to Kahrs! I really, REALLY want a small, lightweight, single-stack, DAO 9mm. Kahr seems to fit the bill. But I read so much conflicting information about them that I am very hesitant.

One thing I have to mention is that the people who say "yeah, it might have trouble, but their customer service is great!" do pretty much nothing to convince me. I figure that if a lot of your customers know what kind of customer service you have then something is wrong! With a product I am going to bet my life on, I want reliability to a degree that your customers very rarely ever have to talk to customer service!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links