Truglo TFO's on my XD-45c - **Photo's Added**

This is a discussion on Truglo TFO's on my XD-45c - **Photo's Added** within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kinda pissed right now! I have just discovered that my TFO's are trashed after taking a Tactical pistol class and was wondering if anyone has ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truglo TFO's on my XD-45c - **Photo's Added**

Truglo TFO's on my XD-45c - **Photo's Added**

Kinda pissed right now! I have just discovered that my TFO's are trashed after taking a Tactical pistol class and was wondering if anyone has had problems with them before?

I noticed today that they were not capturing natural light like they normally do, I thought it was odd but didn't have time to look into it further at the time. Now tonight I look at them again, walk outside in the dark and no sites visible. Well actually the front site is visible but dim, the rears are trashed and I can only barely see the right side and the left side rear is totally gone, meaning no glow whatsoever, dark!

When looking at them from the top the front looks like it is ok but yet is very dim when looking at it. The rears have what looks like internal shattering of glass about half the length of the site on the right rear and the whole site on the left rear looks shattered.

These are new or newer sights maybe 3 months old that have maybe 500 rounds through them, I shot 250 for the class and maybe 250 before that. The gun has never been dropped and complete care has been taken with this gun so I can only assume that the recoil of the shot's has damaged them.

Has anyone had this problem with TFO's?

By the by, the XD is a nice piece and I was very surprised at how well the gun shoot's and how well I shot it from the get go. I am a 1911 guy but this gun really impressed me right away at the range that I used it for the class. The only problem is the sites.

Anyone have a link to the Truglo website also. Doing a google search will not pull up the official site, only hit's from forums with reviews of them and one's for sale on ebay.

Thanks for any insite or help with the TG website.

Couple Photo's I was able to take that turned out pretty good and shows what I am talking about.

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; July 8th, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

http://www.truglosights.com/

Judging from your post above, you were spelling sights as sites in your search, and only getting mentions on websites.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Here's the website: http://truglo.com/

Don't know what to tell you about them, though
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I just finished putting them on my G19. Who installed yours? As I understand it, too much shock while installing them can cause damage, sounds like what might have happened in your case.

I basically pressed my front sight on, applied Loc-tite and secured the screw (no hammer used). For the rear sight I used a wooden block and mallet to tap them into place, using the wood to cushion and absorb any direct shock.

Gary Brommeland recently started stocking the Tru-glo sights (that's where I got mine), hopefully he'll see this thread and offer some insight into what may have happened. The idea that normal recoil may have shattered the fibers or tritium vials is somewhat disconcerting.
    Jack

Wow... I have never heard of that happening... I almost got truglo's btw...

Decided to try the vertical sight alignment of the Big Dots and got them instead on my XD, but was thinking of Truglo's for my 1911's so be sure and let us know what you find out sir.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd be more concerned about where the tritium leaked to and did it leak to any part of my body.

I have tfo's on 3 of my guns and have not had problems.

Yea, I guess I was to mad to spell "Sights" correctly last night!That works much better.

Anyway, they were installed correctly and have worked just fine up until now. In fact, these sights are much easier to align when shooting than my Mep's or target sites are for me, I was pretty natural with them.

I am going to call Truglo on Monday and figure out what they think about it. I am not sure any tritium has leaked out, it is much like a windshield shattering, they are still intact just shattered it looks like.

Still looking for anyone else with this problem or anything similar with the Truglo's. Not sure I am going to get another pair if Truglo does not stand behind these and/or this is going to happen again.

I will keep the thread updated as I find things out, thanks for the link.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

TFOs on my XD40

I just had TFOs put on my XD40 service for duty carry. I haven't even seen them yet. I stepped off the back of an ambulance wrong about 0330 friday morning and twisted my ankle so I am laid up right now!

Hope mine do better than yours. We'll see I guess
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

111 - Sorry about that ankle, that is painful and many times worse than a break!

I hope you TG TFO's work out for you, I am sure this is an isolated case but wanted to find out if there is anyone else has had this problem.

Photo's Added!!!!

Ti

Read something about this on another forum. Some guy's fiber optic element broke off. Seems to be a common thing...

I'll see if I can find it (don't know if we can mention another forum).
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I would think the tritium, being radio-active would glow wherever it is.

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah but it's in front of the fiber optic, and the fiber optic is broke, it may diminish the glow of the tritium

Administrator
    Those are pretty well known in my circles to be pretty wimpy sights. They are great, but take no abuse. I have had a few customers who bought them and they were trashed in a week or two. I almost bought some because they did work so well until I got set straight by an honest shop keeper.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Tritium by itself doesn't glow. It's the phosphor in the vials that glows, and is energized by the tritium. The amount of tritium gas (a hydrogen isotope) that is included in a vial used in a night sight is 1/30,000 the amount to potentially cause a radiation health hazard. Don't worry about the tritium, but see about getting them replaced.

http://kauai.hawaii.edu/msds/files/ckf/ckfdr.html

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Those are pretty well known in my circles to be pretty wimpy sights. They are great, but take no abuse. I have had a few customers who bought them and they were trashed in a week or two. I almost bought some because they did work so well until I got set straight by an honest shop keeper.
    what sights do you use instead of the TFO's?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links