9mm barrel life?

9mm barrel life?

This is a discussion on 9mm barrel life? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; General question for folks; are pistol barrels like rifles barrels in that they will eventually wear out after "X" # of rounds through them? Do ...

9mm barrel life?

General question for folks; are pistol barrels like rifles barrels in that they will eventually wear out after "X" # of rounds through them?
    Do pistol calibers (specifically 9mm) burn out the rifling? If so, what's the average # of rounds for a 9mm barrel life before it's lands and grooves are worn down?

It's tough to tell how worn a pistol barrel is since the rifling in the barrels isn't deep to begin with.

Assistant Administrator
    IMO they will well oiutlast rifle barrels - if only for the reduced velocities they deal with.

Top end rifle rounds that push velocities real high will not only have higher bore wear but the throat erosion due to hot gases will be another factor.

There probably is an ideal "X" rounds for a handgun barrel but it'll usually be very high for most shooter's habits ... look at the figures some Glocks have on them these days - multiple thousands of rounds in original gun. I do think the polygonal tho will have longer life than conventional rifling.

I fancy too if lead cast bullets used for practice then that can extend life, as long as deleading is done before returning to jackets. Some WWII Lugers around have little or no rifling left but hard to know whether to equate that to # rounds fired or maybe metallurgical aspects.

As to an average .... I have no figure but will place my guess as minimum 5,000 before undue wear very noticeable and all modern semi's anyways should make 10k and beyond. Hot ammo thru revo's might bring barrel life figures down, such as top loads in .454 for example.

Just thinkin' aloud really!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

most handgun barrels cannot be shot out unless its something like a 38 super loaded way hot which will burn out the throat .. most people are not shooting that fast that the barrel cannot dissipate some heat

Handgun barrel life

Pistol barrels have a much longer service life than high powered rifle barrels. Pistol calibers burn much less powder,producing less heat and burning gas. A 9/m/m barrel of modern steel should last maybe 20 to 30 thousand rounds before any wear of consequence. A .357 magnum would wear faster due to larger powder charges. Under normal conditions you will wear out springs and other small parts before your barrel reaches the end of its service life.Type of rifling,process of cutting,and surface finish of lands and grooves are also a factor.

VIP Member
    I don't think barrel life will be a major issue on most handguns, either. If needed, however, you can use this as an excuse to purchase more firearms, to spread out the wear and tear....

I know for sure my trainer has at minimum 50K through a 9mm Springfield Loaded and a gun smith was telling him he was getting close to needing a new barrel but was still good to go for now.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

There are guys out there with Les Baers with over 100k rounds through them - only thing replaced were springs. These are .45 ACP which is lower velocity and pressure, but I wouldn't think it would be something to worry about. Unless of course you're trying to come up with an excuse of some sort...

Austin

1943 - 2009
    Some WWII Lugers around have little or no rifling left but hard to know whether to equate that to # rounds fired or maybe metallurgical aspects.
    That was caused by improper cleaning after being fired with ammo containing corrosive primers. In fact, corrosive primers are the main cause of so-called "shot out" pistol barrels.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    Good point Terry - I forgot completely about corrosive ammo effects.

My earlier figures of 5k to 10k for modern guns was based on being able to detect wear rather than being remotely ''shot-out'' ........ but figures way beyond that are well proven as has been stated and as long as lands present enough to engrave - the barrel is still functional.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I put nearly 40K rds through a Browning BDM 9mm semi-auto, and it simply got more accurate as time went on. No appreciable wear; no reduction in accuracy; no lack of "spin" on the bullet. My guess is that one could have gone ~100K rds before needing to be rebarrelled.

"Average" though? Depends on the barrel material and usage, I would think. I'd bet something north of 50K rds would be average, before negative issues would cause an armorer to want to swap a barrel. But that's just a wild guess.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    There are guys out there with Les Baers with over 100k rounds through them - only thing replaced were springs

Thats very hard to believe as the top IPSC shooters are rebuilding their 1911's well under half of that figure due to wear.

My SA 1911 went 35K and needed new trigger, hammer, sear, etc due to the wearing of those parts. I've never heard of ANY 1911 running close to 100K with nothing but springs replaced.

As to pistol barrel life, you'll likely not shoot out the barrel on a defensive type pistol caliber in your lifetime unless you are a major shooter putting tens of thousands of rds downrange yearly over many years of use. If you can afford to shoot that much, a new gun would not be cost prohibitive in the least as the ammo you ran through the gun to shoot out the barrrel would have paid for 20 brand new guns or more in that time.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    My highest round count pistol was a Glock 22 that had close to 49,000 rounds when I sold it. The new owner says he hasn't had a problem and I'd guess he's put a couple thousand through it at least. I can't imagine shooting enough to damage the barrel on a pistol.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Glock Barrels Thousands & Thousands & Thousands of Rounds !!

Take the best leave the rest !

With todays metalurgy you will most likely get bored of shooting the gun you have and trade it on a new one (or die) before you will shoot out a barrel.

(NOTE: this does not include instructors, competitors, gun pros, or the couple of certifiable gun nuts that I know)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Links