stovepipes

stovepipes

This is a discussion on stovepipes within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok. so i have now put 100 rounds though my new kimber aegis. i must say that i love this gun. it is the perfect ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: stovepipes

Unhappy stovepipes

ok. so i have now put 100 rounds though my new kimber aegis.
    i must say that i love this gun. it is the perfect size for me and just feels great and is quite accurate.
    BUT... There is a major problem. i get stovepipes 30% of the time
    I have been keeping my wrists as stiff as i possibly can. i dont feel like im limp wristing at all. i have this problem every once in a while with my bfs 45 usp compact but if i concentrate on it then it doesnt with that one. and really this kimber has practically ZERO recoil. so i dont see how i can possibly be getting this many stovepipes when im locking my wrists up so tight. Yet my bf and my friend have no had it stovepipe in the 5-10 rounds they shot.
    So whats going on? do you think it is me (most likely)? if so how in the world do i fix this. im keeping my wrists super stiff.
    What other possibilities are there? (shes clean and lubed)
    I love this gun and want to carry it but it needs to go bang!

JD
    Administrator
    Well the first thing to do is try and isloate it to a magazine if possible, if your having problems with all the mags it's probably not a mag issue.

This could also just be part of the break in period. Kimbers need a couple hundred to smooth out.

While your wrists may be stiff, how is your grip? if your wrists are stiff but your grips is loose you can still have issues.

Stove pipes are usually grip related i wont say limp wrist as that is not always the Case..

Are you shooting High thumbs

Low thumbs

or teacupping?

Loose grip with locked wrists can cause it to

that will help us diagnose why your having problems

One way is to have someone watch your hands as you shoot and nothing else to see if you are breaking your wrist for a limp wrist or something else

Do you shoot weaver or just square up or the other stance starts with a I ...I certainly cant spell it ?

Also where at in michigan ?

What I do with any new semi-auto pistol: send several hundred rounds through it, using a variety of ammo, until I find that one specific bullet that works best. Then, I shoot the heck out of it for (generally) 1000+ rounds, to ensure basic reliability. If all failures to eject, feed or otherwise cycle cannot be accounted for in 1000 rds, I might push it to 1500 or 2000 rds. But if it can't start aiming toward zero % failures, it's outta here. IMO, 100rds isn't hardly the point at which to begin judging a specific gun's tendencies.

Keep in mind, as well, that not all bullets work well in all guns. My CZ P01, for example, simply hates short rounds. Several of the CorBon varieties fail miserably in this gun, but every longer round gets predictably better, the longer it gets. The most-reliable round I have found is the DoubleTap 9mm JHP +P, which is the longest one out there, so far as I know. Go figure, but the OAL measurement seems to be highly regarded by my specific gun. No number of parts changes alters that, and simply changing to the longest, tightest bullets I could find (DT JHP or Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP), I get nearly 100% reliability.

What I did with my CZ P01: Shot ~1700 rds first, varying the ammo until I found a highly reliable one; sent it to the gunsmith for an action/trigger job and spring swap (involving some different springs than the factory chose); then shot it another 500rds to break everything in finally. At that point, I was convinced in its 100% reliability. It had some minor teething pains, most of which could be explained by the regimen I used to hammer it during the break-in period, but it's now perfect. Could not have possibly thought that after only 100 rds.

Ditto on the comments about speed of cycling, which can be impacted by dragging your fingers along the slide during cycling, an under-powered bullet load you're using, the "wrong" recoil spring, a gritty slide-to-frame fit. Hard to tell, with only 100 rds.

You can also try loading each magazine with only a few bullets, instead of all the way. Cycle through the magazines, to see if you can isolate if one of them is contributing to the problem.

I'd suggest speaking with the Kimber shop, to ask what they recommend for a terribly inconsistent new Aegis. I'd be willing to bet that some of the after-market Kimber gunsmiths out there know of these issues with the Aegis and have minor changes to the springs, extractor, magazines, whatever. After another 300-500 rds, of a variety of types of ammo, you'll then have a better chance at narrowing in on the actual problem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Guns need a "Break-In Period"

I'm not a "professional" but here's my suggestion;

1) Clean and oil weapon
    2) Shoot 100 rounds
    3) Clean and oil weapon and repeat step two then step one until 500 rounds have been fired
    4) Repeat step 1
    5) Shoot 200 rounds of your carry ammo through your weapon without cleaning after 100 rounds
    6) No failure? clean weapon and carry it
    7) Failures? Clean and sell weapon to nearest sucker

I don't sell any weapons to friends or family that I care about

Biker

ill have someone watch my hands next time i shoot.
    its not the mag i think. i have two and theres no difference.
    bud- im in GR
    i shoot modified weaver generally. i didnt actually try using isosceles stance. ill try that next time and see if theres a diff.
    my grip? hmm. im pretty sure my grip was quite firm but ill look at it more text time. my thumbs are usually um. i donno. where i was taught they should be? medium high i guess.
    ill get back to ya after the next range time.

ccw9mm and BikerRN have got you covered. The only things I will add is that Kimber sends a POS mag with there gun's and I am sure the Ageis is no exception.

When oiling, really oil it during break in to the point where it is spraying on your glasses some the first few rounds. Clean as BikerRN said at every 100 rds up to 500-700 rds.

The other thing I would consider doing is order the Springfield 9mm mag's (I am assuming that this is the 9mm Ageis and not the .45) that the EMP uses and throw the Ageis mag in the trash.

I know for sure that the Kimber full size Target 9mm comes with crap mag's, switched to the Springfield 9mm mag's and problem solved. I am not sure who makes either the Kimber mag's or the SF mag's but the SF mag's are the better ones.

But the bottom line is you don't have enough rounds down the pipe. Do it like B-RN suggests and I'd bet most of your problems will all but dissapear.

Question - Did you clean your Ageis real good BEFORE shooting it as well as lubed it well when you shot the 100 rds through it?

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Hopefully they go away with shooting but i never has seen stovepipes go away with breakin

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Hopefully they go away with shooting but i never has seen stovepipes go away with breakin
    I agree with that too. This is why a mag change is in order IMO. I wish I knew more about the Ageis and what mag it uses. I know from experiance that Kimber send's the worst mag's with their gun's. I've always used a Wilson or a Tripp Cobra mag with all my Kimbers but neither company make one for a 9mm yet.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Ti you are right there about the worst mags out there they send

JD
    Administrator
    Metalform and Mecgar make good replacement mags for 9mm 1911s, I prefer the Metalforms over the Mecgars.

Springfield carries 1911 mags in their on-line store, but I think they are only for full size IIRC.

Funny Jd i prefer Mec gars to the metalforms

JD
    Administrator
    I had some problems with the mecgars (mainly spring related and bad feed lips on new mags) with my Kimber in .40 I just bought some metalforms to try out when it comes back from the smith.

I had some from Tripp Research and they didn't hold the nose up enough.

I thought they made a completely new magazine/grip frame for the EMP - if so, the EMP mags likely won't work in the Aegis.

After breaking in you'll know more. The gun should run a little smoother after 500 or so rounds. Grip should be at least as strong as a firm handshake. With a firm grip its much more difficult to limp-wrist. Changing to a lighter weight recoil spring would help - but I wouldn't jump into that until its broken in.

Once its broken in, if you still have problems (doesn't really matter if someone else can make it work since its your gun) and you swap to a lighter weight recoil spring and/or mainspring you will get increased slide velocity. This may solve your problem but can also cause accellerated wear on the frame.

Austin

Senior Moderator
    OOOOORRRRRRR (and BELIEVE ME, I HATE to say this) it could very well just plain old be the gun.

First, (and this is not news to anyone who knows anything about 1911s) 1911s have never done great with other calibers in their chambers. The most troublesome 1911s I've every encountered have been 1911s chambered in cartridges other than the .45.

Secondly, Kimbers quality control has slipped over the last couple of years. While there's still a good chance you'll get a fabulous gun, there's also a chance you could get a lemon.

While this isn't meant to completely frighten you, it should at least let you consider the idea that this doesn't necessarily mean you are doing anything wrong.

Start at the basics and work your way up, but don't carry that gun until it's working perfectly EVERY SINGLE TIME you pull the trigger.

Start with going through the break in period, try new magazines, do a little more research, and if it's still giving you trouble either send it back to Kimber for a check up or have a gunsmith look at it.

Keep an open mind, and while I agree that a good shooter always looks in the mirror to see if they are the cause, they should also look at other possibilities, even faulty equipment.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links