Concealed Carry model 1911

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry model 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SteveKolt One of my favorites is my Kimber Ultra Raptor II. I also have the full size Raptor II, and the Pro ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry model 1911

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKolt View Post
    One of my favorites is my Kimber Ultra Raptor II. I also have the full size Raptor II, and the Pro Raptor that my wife decided was hers after shooting it...
    +1 on the Raptor series, sexy guns, not like those other plain Jane guns Kimber makes... My Pro Raptor is going to be my EDC, but love my Ultra and Grand II. Not cheap though if you are looking for something a bit less pricey. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I like the 4" or 4.25" option myself. My Springfield Armory Champion LW seems to work great for all day carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

OD*
    Another option would be Colt's "New Agent."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't have one but have researched this to death and one day, I hope to get a 4" officer's model. Kimber's CDP compact is just about ideal in my book because I REALLY want front strap engraving from the factory and it has it. Not many do. If Springfield would offer anything in a 4" barrel with Officer's frame I'd buy it but they only offer the 3" ultra compact. I love the looks of that gun but want 4". Now I've ruled out a 5" because that inch can make a difference depending on your height and build. For smaller/slimmer, it pokes out a bit and makes a bump and takes a bit longer to clear the belt. 4" is perfect for shooting, reliability and still good for concealing. If your taller and bigger, then 5" won't be a problem but weight will always matter. The bigger you are the less you notice it but I've carried a full size Springfield Mil Spec and it gets HEAVY after a while so "if" I get a 1911 carry piece some day, it'll be a lightweight frame, officer's model w/4".

A previous poster mentioned the Colt Defender. I think that's a great weapon but I've never quite liked the look of the finish when holding it in the shop! Hope you find what you're looking for!
    God Bless
    Gideon

VIP Member
    My absolute favorite CCW is my Springfield Champion - 4" 1911 in a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II IWB holster. Being all stainless I do notice the weight differance but it's so comfortable to carry I really don't mind!

FWIW I think the 4" - 4.25" is the best choice, not that another 1" makes a ton of difference.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    My absolute favorite CCW is my Springfield Champion - 4" 1911 in a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II IWB holster. Being all stainless I do notice the weight differance but it's so comfortable to carry I really don't mind!
    I carry a stainless Baer Stinger (4.25” with Officer’s Grip) for the same reason. In a Sparks VMII with a good belt, I hardly notice the weight while carrying.

I shoot this gun quite a bit and use it for what ever pistol classes I take and in matches once in a while. For shooting I appreciate the weight and 4.25” barrel as I can shoot it almost as well as my 5” Baer.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I have found my Para CCO to be the most comfortable carry gun I have tried. The LDA trigger means no hammer spur, which means no beaver tail to poke my love handle. Grip is big enough and the barrel is long enough to be easy to shoot with hot .45 loads.

Then I gave the whole thing a melt down and polish job. For me it's damn near perfect.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    --Theodore Rosevelt

JD
    Administrator
    There are too many to list, I like the rounded edges of a Kimber CDP, but I don't have much faith in the MIM parts which are used in many if not most of the mass producition 1911 makers, not just Kimbers.

I frefer a bushing style barrel to a bull barrel.

I prefer a 4.0 to a 5" bbl. as there are generally less issues with the longer barreled guns, and I'd take a 4.25 over a 4" I don't like the silly little tool that's needed to take apart the 4" and 3" guns.

I would suggest the following:

Colt Commander, either light weight or all steel (I like 'em heavy)
    Colt CCO, if you can find one.

Kimber CDP Pro.
    Kimber CDP Compact

Springfield Champion, again you can go light or all steel.

I have no experience with the S&W 1911's yet, so I won't advise them.

Para Ordnance makes good guns, but I've never been happy with their finishes unless it was all stainless.

I will advise that you have the MIM parts replaced. I never really bought into alot of the stuff I'd heard about MIM parts until recently, but it's definately true, all steel parts do hold up better.

I'm going to start acquiring replacement parts and get rid of the MIM stuff.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 3". I wish I had gotten a 5" model instead. There really isn't that big of a difference between concealing a 3" and a 5" barrel. At least not to me.

Seeing as the 5" version is just so much smoother to shoot...anyone want to trade?

JK!!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I frefer a bushing style barrel to a bull barrel.

I prefer a 4.0 to a 5" bbl. as there are generally less issues with the longer barreled guns, and I'd take a 4.25 over a 4" I don't like the silly little tool that's needed to take apart the 4" and 3" guns.

I would suggest the following:

Para Ordnance makes good guns, but I've never been happy with their finishes unless it was all stainless.
    Isn't that the truth! I really like my Para, but the finish sucks! Mine's a 2 yr. old gun, but the finish doesn't look it.

Personally, I really like the LW Commander. I don't care for big heavy guns. I don't find the recoil a problem & while my hands are big, the Commander has a full grip, so it's ideal for me.

I'm considering getting one of those dura-coat kits I think someone else on this forum wrote about. For $50 or so, it wouldn't hurt to try it, & there's enough of it to try it again if I screw it up. Also, I should be picking up my new Kel-Tec P-32 (Used, but new for me). If it needs it, maybe I'll dura-coat it 1st, then do the Para.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I carry a Para LTC every day. Either IWB or in a maxpedition fatboy.
    Great gun, 100% reliable with every ammo I can chuck thru it. Also damn accurate.

I prefer the full-sized Colt 1911 over any of the others. For IWB it conceals just as well.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I carry a Para LTC every day. Either IWB or in a maxpedition fatboy.
    Great gun, 100% reliable with every ammo I can chuck thru it. Also damn accurate.

How old's yours? I have the LW one with the cocobolo grips, although I wouldn't mind getting some slim ones. Are those normal or slim, BTW?

CL01
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ...I will advise that you have the MIM parts replaced. I never really bought into alot of the stuff I'd heard about MIM parts until recently, but it's definately true, all steel parts do hold up better.

I'm going to start acquiring replacement parts and get rid of the MIM stuff.

MIM? What does MIM stand for? A brand or manufacturer?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links