Concealed Carry model 1911

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry model 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MIM is M etal I njection M olded. Basicly they're not solid steel, or even from a stamping, theres a good post regarding the manufacture ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry model 1911

JD
    Administrator
    MIM is Metal Injection Molded.

Basicly they're not solid steel, or even from a stamping, theres a good post regarding the manufacture of MIM parts some where around here, I'll try to find it.

Either that or I'm sure Bud, OD, or QK can answer off the top of their heads about the process.

The bottom line is that there is a lot of talk about the MIM parts not being as strong, some view it as BS, because they haven't had a problem....yet. I was partially in that boat, basicly because I likt to go off first hand info. So now I can honestly say that the all solid steel parts are better.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    THIS is the thread I was looking for regarding MIM parts.

OD*
    Metal Injection Molding or MIM, also called Powder Injection Molding or PIM, is a net-shape process for producing solid metal parts that combines the design freedom of plastic injection molding with material properties near that of wrought metals.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Yeah beat me, John.

~ Tiger McKee

All depends on what size you want how you dress and how much you want to spend

I have carried 5" about 40% of the time i have carried a 1911 and the other 60% has all be 4 1/4 Commander size

Then ya can go to sub 4" but i have no personal EXP with them

Also you can go bobtail so there is no corner poking at your shirt

I carry a Les Baer 4 1/4 gun

If im recommending a gun my list goes like this in this order

Les Baer not for everyone because $$$$

so we will start here

Dan Wesson
    Colt
    both tied for first though i really like the bobtail Dan wesson

Springfield

Those are all i recommend at this time some guns are left off because i have not Personal EXP with them other are left off for other reasons of Dislike
    My EDC

The DW

Ive carried the 5" in the pic also

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    MIM is Metal Injection Molded.

Basicly they're not solid steel, or even from a stamping, theres a good post regarding the manufacture of MIM parts some where around here, I'll try to find it.

Either that or I'm sure Bud, OD, or QK can answer off the top of their heads about the process.

The bottom line is that there is a lot of talk about the MIM parts not being as strong, some view it as BS, because they haven't had a problem....yet. I was partially in that boat, basicly because I likt to go off first hand info. So now I can honestly say that the all solid steel parts are better.
    Basically ya covered MIM pretty well JD

MIM if done right is great when its done cheaply well

Smith & Wesson is at the top of their game with MIM their stuff seems to hold up well and kimbers well they would be at the bottom of the list

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 3". I wish I had gotten a 5" model instead. There really isn't that big of a difference between concealing a 3" and a 5" barrel. At least not to me.

Seeing as the 5" version is just so much smoother to shoot...anyone want to trade?

JK!!
    Yes, but the real difference is the grip size. A full size grip is harder to conceal than an officer grip is. The barell is not usually the problem with it.

The best all around 1911 platform IMO is a CCO type set up, commander length either the 4" or 4.25" with an officers grip. Way cool CC piece. I have several, Ultra's, Commander's and full size 1911's but not a CCO yet, yet!

Good one to look at is the Kimber Compact models.

Kimber Compact Stainless:
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...tstainless.php

Kimber Custom Compact CDP:
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/compactcdp.php

Also, buy some Tripp Research Cobra Mag's or Wilson Combat Mag's and throw the kimber in the drawer or buy a spring and follower kit from TR or WC for the Kimber mag and use it for the range if you want.

Good luck dude, 1911's are great to carry and shopping for one is the best part.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Hey, if you can swing it ($) a Les Baer Stinger is a sweet piece, a DW is nice as well I agree with them too. Bud is a Kimber hater, don't let him run you off from them, Kimbers are very nice as long as you dump the mag. A springfield has the most MIM of any 1911 out there and are made and/or assembled out of country. I like Springfield but they have there quirks too.

The only way out of the scary MIM parts is go semi custom but the cost goes way up like almost double with a lot of the models.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Hey, if you can swing it ($) a Les Baer Stinger is a sweet piece, a DW is nice as well I agree with them too. Bud is a Kimber hater, don't let him run you off from them, Kimbers are very nice as long as you dump the mag. A springfield has the most MIM of any 1911 out there and are made and/or assembled out of country. I like Springfield but they have there quirks too.

The only way out of the scary MIM parts is go semi custom but the cost goes way up like almost double with a lot of the models.

Ti
    Colt uses almost no mim

Dan wesson i think only thing mim and i believe that has changed to was the mag release

kimber uses just as much mim as springfield with one difference springers mim is much better.

For reliability, durability and ease of maintenence, I would strongly recommend against anything under Commander length, 4 1/4". Things start getting weird with 1911s below that magic number. When size goes down, tolerances get squeezed to the breaking point. In the compact 1911s, you get into proprietary recoil springs and the rate of required replacement goes exponential. The parts are a LOT more expensive aswell.

If you consider that the recommended R&R of recoil springs for Gvt model is 2000rds, Commander at 1500rds, 4" guns at 1-1.3k and the littler fellers, like the Para Warthog, SA EMP, Micro Compact, etc., at <800 rds... you're talkin a lotta dough; assuming you're gonna actually shoot it a fair bit.

Add to this, that the compacts, even officers, are not much fun to shoot for most people. The exception is for those with small hands. While the .45 acp isn't bad for recoil, it's best dealt with, with a full-sized grip... for 'most' people.

I generally agree with my friend Bud, and I must here, aswell. I don't think there's a better, pure carry gun than the Les Baer Stinger. It appears that this is well out of your price range, however. I also agree with him that a bobtail affords 95% of the concealment advantages of the officer's grip, without losing as much fore grip and recoil absorbing mass. As Bud said, Dan Wesson does a very nice, affordable bobtailed commander. Stick with stainless for a budget carry 1911.

As for MIM parts, the list of builders not using them is a lot shorter than those which do. Colt uses five. Kimber uses them wherever they can... Ed Brown, Les Baer, Rock River Arms, STI, are manufacturers I know of, not using MIM parts. Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, Hilton Yam, Michiguns, Yost-Bonitz and myriad others, I consider "assemblers", but also do not source MIM.

Again, like Bud says, when MIM is done well and applied appropriately, there is little to complain about.

I wholeheartedly invite you into the wonderful world of John Moses Browning's miracle. Once it bites you, there is no looking back.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

OD*
    Colt uses five.
    MIM
    sear
    disconnector

CAST
    Thumb safety
    grip safety
    mag catch

FORGED
    slide
    receiver
    barrel
    slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
    hammer
    all pins
    bbl link
    bbl bushing
    trigger finger piece
    ejector
    firing pin
    firing pin stop
    extractor
    plunger tube

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    MIM
    sear
    disconnector

CAST
    Thumb safety
    grip safety
    mag catch

FORGED
    slide
    receiver
    barrel
    slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
    hammer
    all pins
    bbl link
    bbl bushing
    trigger finger piece
    ejector
    firing pin
    firing pin stop
    extractor
    plunger tube
    I stand corrected by my nit-picky brother, D-OD*. Colt uses only three MIM parts... sear, disconnector and (drum roll) mag catch!

Gotcha, buddy!

Sorry for the "5" typo... I wasn't paying attention and figured OD* had already had his say on this thread... goes to show... watch your six!

Proud to be an infidel.

OD*
    mag catch!
    I have seen that written, as coming from Mark Roberts, I let you know definitely after next Wednesday.
    What I can tell you now is, my newest Colt's, a 2003, 2005 and another 2005, are indeed cast and not MIM.
    You can easily see the flange line, no spur indentations on them.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Hey, if you can swing it ($) a Les Baer Stinger is a sweet piece.
    Ti
    The Stinger, all steel and no MIM. Next to it's bigger brother the 5" Baer:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I have seen that written, as coming from Mark Roberts, I let you know definitely after next Wednesday.
    What I can tell you now is, my newest Colt's, a 2003, 2005 and another 2005, are indeed cast and not MIM.
    You can easily see the flange line, no spur indentations on them.
    What happens on next Wednesday? electronmicroscopy? Drill and test for density?

Question for ya OD. Would Les Baer lose points if I told you his mag catches were cast?

Proud to be an infidel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links