Concealed Carry model 1911

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry model 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am beginning to reconsider a full size model 1911. I'm really looking for a good concealed carry gun in a model 1911. A compact ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry model 1911

I am beginning to reconsider a full size model 1911. I'm really looking for a good concealed carry gun in a model 1911. A compact or possibly even a sub, but subs can get a bit pricey for my budget.
    Anyone got any suggestions from first hand experience/knowledge?

All responses are appreciated.
    Thanks,

Rick
    RickH

How are you planning to carry it? The smaller 1911s differ from the fullsize in the length of the barrel and (for the officer's model) the length of the grip. If you're carrying IWB, the barrel length isn't much of a factor, since it's inside the pants anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    How are you planning to carry it? The smaller 1911s differ from the fullsize in the length of the barrel and (for the officer's model) the length of the grip. If you're carrying IWB, the barrel length isn't much of a factor, since it's inside the pants anyway.
    Honestly, I'm new to carrying but I figure IWB is probably the way to go......

Rick
    RickH

Administrator
    I like the commander size guns for CCW, I have a Kimber Pro CDP. It has proven itself to be a great CCW choice. There are lots of 1911's to chose from, why dont you toss out a figure your trying to stay under and I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions within your budget.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by RickH View Post
    Honestly, I'm new to carrying but I figure IWB is probably the way to go......
    If you're going IWB (which I think is a good way to go) then the barrel length doesn't matter quite so much. If you can conceal the full length grip, you could go with a full size government model. Some people prefer a shorter grip, such as is available on the officer's model (3.5 inch barreled subcompact). This is a bit easier to conceal, but you give up one round of magazine capacity in what's already a fairly low-cap gun. A comprimise that a fair number of people seem to like is a gun with the commander length slide (4.25 in barrel) on an officer's frame, giving them the shorter grip with a slightly longer barrel.

Senior Moderator
    What caliber would you prefer?

If it's a .45, sure, go with a Kimber Pro or Ultra CDP.. If you are looking for something in .40 or 9 go for something else like the Springfield EMP.

Good luck!

Try a S&W 1911PD its commander size and very light. I have had one for about a year and its a great little gun and very accurate

I just picked up a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtailed Commander.

.45 acp 4.25" barrel bobtailed grip to help facilitate concealability and as the range report that I will post later this evening,.... shoots GREAT!!!

MikeV

4 inch aluminum frame

For 1911 carry I like a 4 or 4.25 inch barrel with aluminum frame for weight reduction. The Kimber Pro would be an example, and the Colt lightweight Commander and S&W scandium 1911 are also good candidates. If you put thin grip panels on this you have a very thin gun that carries well either IWB or OWB, and is light weight enough to be comfortable all day long. With 8 round Wilson magazines you have 8+1 rounds of .45 on tap.

This is the Kimber Pro CDP I use for this:

One of my favorites is my Kimber Ultra Raptor II. I also have the full size Raptor II, and the Pro Raptor that my wife decided was hers after shooting it...

If you like the LDA trigger, the Para Ordnance C7 .45 is a good choice. 3.5" barrel, shorter grip, and you retain the same capacity as the fullsize.

I started with a full size Dan Wesson Pointman Seven. Then I found a used Kimber Ultra Carry for under $500. Looked like it was never fired, I have put about 1000 rounds through it using reloads and factory ammo without a failure. That has been my carry gun ever since. Its a lot lighter and easier to conceal, very important for CT.

My EDC is a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail Commander....I find (with a Tucker Gunleather Texas Heritage IWB) a Commander sized 1911 very easy to carry and concele

well you need to decide on a caliber and a size. it all depends on the person. im pretty small so i decided to go with a 3" type 9mm.
    i have the kimber aegis. i would also suggest the springfield emp if you can find one.

I've carried concealed a Para Ordnance P1345 Limited for years, 100% reliable, and 13 rounds available without reloading.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links