Long term durability: Kahr PM9 or S&W M&P 340?

This is a discussion on Long term durability: Kahr PM9 or S&W M&P 340? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into picking up either a Kahr PM9 or a Smith & Wesson M&P 340 for a pocket gun and am looking to find ...

Thread: Long term durability: Kahr PM9 or S&W M&P 340?

I'm looking into picking up either a Kahr PM9 or a Smith & Wesson M&P 340 for a pocket gun and am looking to find out the expected durability for each respective firearm. I've found that I can shoot the Airlight J-frames without any pain and the PM9 is very manageable as well. I was hoping to get some insight into how many rounds each is able to withstand in its lifetime. The M&P 340 would be shot mainly with .38 special with occasional bouts of .38 +P or .357 Magnum and the PM9 wouldn't see too many +P rounds either. Any help would be appreciated.

both are good.... I'd pick one of each.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    Flip a coin...

If I had to, I think I would bet on the S&W out lasting the Kahr, but both will out last you or I anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You wont wear either one out shooting , or carrying . Pick the one you like best , or pick up both lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    pick up both lol .
    Sounds like the best option to me

On a more serious note: I personally would probable go with Kahr.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff_P239 View Post
    I was hoping to get some insight into how many rounds each is able to withstand in its lifetime. .
    I don't have either of those guns, but I have noticed that most replies here mentioned that either gun will last longer than your needs.

Not necessarily true, if you are going to be using the gun you choose for extensive range time and training - and IMO you should do that with any carry gun - then the Kahr manufacturer's directive regarding the life of the gun should be addressed. i don't recall the exact figure but they do state (in the manual) that Kahr's have a 'life' relative to the number of rounds fired.

Hopefully someone will answer that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't have either of those guns, but I have noticed that most replies here mentioned that either gun will last longer than your needs.

Not necessarily true, if you are going to be using the gun you choose for extensive range time and training - and IMO you should do that with any carry gun - then the Kahr manufacturer's directive regarding the life of the gun should be addressed. i don't recall the exact figure but they do state (in the manual) that Kahr's have a 'life' relative to the number of rounds fired.

Hopefully someone will answer that for you.
    Would an owner of a PM9 be willing to pull out their owner's manual and let us know the expected round count that it is designed to withstand? I'd really appreciate it.

Would an owner of a PM9 be willing to pull out their owner's manual and let us know the expected round count that it is designed to withstand? I'd really appreciate it.
    http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Has a lot of handgun manuals, not the PM9 specifically but does have two Kahrs, I guess they are generic to a point.

EDIT: The KP manual covers the PM9.

ckd
    Have both, can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't worry about wearing them out and you can send them back to their mfgs if need be. I shoot both quite a bit and no problems. Gold Dot HP short barrels .357 and Corbon DPX seem ideal in the 340, the PM9 isn't as affected by choice of ammo.

Size: advantage PM9, flat, still both excellent for pocket; Weight loaded: slight advantage 340 but is has two fewer rounds; Variety of ammo and price: advantage 340: Ability to rapidly and accurately hit target with hot loads: PM9; Night sights: advantage PM9, three dot vs. single with cupped ramp; Cost of spare magazines/speedloader: big edge 340; Cost to purchase: 340 wins again; Holsters other than pocket: 340 by a large margin; Resale: can't be sure yet but 340 again; Trigger pull a draw: long and even before suprise break vs. progessive loadup action of the 340; Reliability: FTF scenario, advantage 340, just pull again; Abilitly to hand off to a non-shooter or beginner comfort: small or greater advantage 340; it's a revolver.

For the money the 340M&P is hard to beat, but the PM9 is a serious SA pocket gun than can be reloaded more quickly and provide more capacity, nice in areas where thugs travel in packs.

I would select the 340M&P (the best of the alloy j-frames), with the PM9 a second.
    Last edited by ckd; July 15th, 2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: edit comments

No maximum round count mentioned in Kahr manual

Would an owner of a PM9 be willing to pull out their owner's manual and let us know the expected round count that it is designed to withstand?
    I just looked in the owner's manual that came with a Kahr MK9 pistol and there was no mention of a round count the pistol is designed to withstand. This Kahr owners' manual, which came with a 6 month old pistol, covers all Kahr models, both steel and polymer.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I just looked in the owner's manual that came with a Kahr MK9 pistol and there was no mention of a round count the pistol is designed to withstand. This Kahr owners' manual, which came with a 6 month old pistol, covers all Kahr models, both steel and polymer.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if Kahr was as open about the expected life of their pistol's as KelTec (not that I have any experience with KelTec or expect Kahr to do so).

I shoot a PM9 primarily and as such it goes to the range with me ALL the time. As of yesterday, it has gone through close to 2,000 rounds without a single hiccup. (NO failure to feeds, NO failure to ejects, and only one striked primer that didn't fire but that was the cartridge, not the gun) I will admit that I am VERY clean oriented, and it is kept pristine at all times. But this may give an idea as to its reliabilty. As for the manual stating a "lifespan", I have read and re-read the manual and found no mention of that. Overall this is the most reliable gun I have ever shot with no exceptions.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Sponsored Links