Three inch revolver opinions...

This is a discussion on Three inch revolver opinions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; People are talking about how heavy the SP-101's are... I just feel Ruger builds one hell of a revolver! It is a gun that just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three inch revolver opinions...

People are talking about how heavy the SP-101's are...

I just feel Ruger builds one hell of a revolver! It is a gun that just by picking it up, you know it's not going to let you down!

My wife and I each have 2" SP-101's and about 8 or so years ago I was lucky to pick up a used Stainless Ruger Speed-Six w/ 3" barrel and Hogue Combat grips for around $180. ( I was freaking to get a Stainless .357 in a 3" for under $200. Came from U.S. Postal Inspectors when they switched over to the Baretta 92's, but those old Rugers were in primo condition! Like new!)

Now I have to say that 3" Speed-Six is just a natural companion to the SP-101 and I have no problems with either of them. I don't think they are too heavy... I think they are just right. To me, they feel like "security!"

If you pick up a 3" Smith or Ruger I think you'll be more than happy!

And then there are the Colt's too! Can't remember if they make a Python in 3" but if not, I bet you can find a gunsmith who can make it a 3" for ya!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I have a 629 with a 3" barrel does that count?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    And then there are the Colt's too! Can't remember if they make a Python in 3" but if not, I bet you can find a gunsmith who can make it a 3" for ya!
    Original three-inch Pythons are as scarce as hen's teeth. You can buy a three-inch barrel here and there, but I wouldn't re-barrel a Python unless its first barrel is shot out (also rare). Most snub Pythons were two-and-a-half inchers.

Colt revolvers are so rare nowadays that I wouldn't recommend altering them much. (Grips are about all I could stomach changing--and keep the originals and all the hardware too.)

If you can find one, however, jump on it!

Good points Falcon1... Thanks for chiming in on that! I will keep that in mind. May start shopping around for an old Python.

I shot one quite a bit in the late 70's that belonged to a friend of mine. Smooth as butter! I just couldn't afford one back then. Probably still can't, considering the rarity!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've recently aquired a Ruger GP100 with a 3" barrell, in stainless, Wolff springs, polished trigger work, custom front sight, and a bobbed hammer..Looks great! I haven't been able to shoot it yet; waitin' for it to dry up some!!

S&W Model 36 3"

I have a Model 36 which I bought new in '76 while in college. It is no pocket gun but it is easy to conceal IWB, OWB, purse, or fanny pack. Super shooter and accurate. Sad to say my wife shoots it better than I! Currently I CCW a G23 but I, along with my wife, shoot the 38 regularly. If you are in the market for a 38 special, I don't believe you would be disappointed with a S&W Model 36 with 3" barrel.

I just saw it Motley! Great choice!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I am very partial to the 3" revolver. I have two. This factory DAO stainless GP-100 just back from Gemini Customs is one I will never part with. Marc Morganti can do some amazing work.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Tex, I've seen a couple of pics and read about your customized Ruger above. Really neat gun.
    Just wish Ruger could have figured out a way to put "GP100" on it somewhere that it could be seen easily......
    :)
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links