Show us your snub! - Page 6

Show us your snub!

This is a discussion on Show us your snub! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My blued Taurus 905, 9mm, with Excalibur silver-black laminate grips. (click for larger sizes)...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    kle
    My blued Taurus 905, 9mm, with Excalibur silver-black laminate grips.

(click for larger sizes)

Hey kle;

I don't know anything about those Taurus 9mm revolvers. What's your take on its performance and does it reliably extract the empties?

kle
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hey kle;

I don't know anything about those Taurus 9mm revolvers. What's your take on its performance and does it reliably extract the empties?
    performance: mine kicks like a mule. I haven't shot either .38SPL or .357 Magnum snubbies, but I've heard the 905's recoil is somewhere between the two. The recoil feels (subjectively, of course) like a .357 Magnum Ruger KGP-161. It's accurate enough for close-in self-defense--I haven't tested it out any further than 15 feet (on a 1/4-sized target, simulating 30 feet), but I have no problem putting hits within the silhouette at 15 feet (30 feet, simulated) in rapid, semi-aimed fire (I'd better hope I could hit at such a close distance =). It's also fairly heavy, which mitigates some recoil and makes it feel about as heavy, empty, as my KelTec P11 does fully loaded. I carry it, however, because it isn't as bulky as my P11 in my pocket--it's easier to get a hold of and draw (spurred hammer notwithstanding) due to the slim grips, and its profile disguises its shape better.

loading/extraction: The rimless 9mm rounds headspace on the case-mouth (there's a rim in the chargeholes that the rounds' casemouthes sit against). After about 25 rounds or so propellant residue builds up in there, making it necessary to manually seat each round in each chamber firmly so that the cylinder won't bind up. In a self-defense situation, this shouldn't really be an issue if I'm [statistically] only going to need 0-3 shots. As to extraction, the rounds are normally used with star-clips (see image) and extraction isn't a problem--the rounds pop out just fine, with the extractor rod being long enough to clear an empty 9mm case. If I don't use a star-clip, I can poke out the empties with a pen without a problem (I've tried this once).

I bought it at a gun show for cheap snubbie/revolver practice (not as cheap as .22LR, but I wanted something with some kick to it, without using the more expensive .357 Magnum or even .38 SPL ammo) when I had mistakenly passed up an extremely good deal on a Medusa Model 47 at a previous gun show (still somewhat kicking myself for that one...).

After seeing Gemini Customs' work, however, I think I'm now in the market for an SP-101 in .357 Magnum. What I haven't decided yet is whether I want the 2 1/4" or 3 1/16" barrel. The longer one looks sexier, and the extra weight should help with the recoil, but the shorter one will be easier to carry. Hmm. This is, of course, barring my finding an SP-101 in 9mm...but I don't hold much hope of that =)

An inciteful report on your 9mm revolver. As long as it didn't get down right balky at accepting the ammo after a number of shots are fired through it I wouldn't be concerned about pressing the rounds into the chambers. It ought to be fast to reload with the clips.

Realistically one should be able to conceal the longer barreled SP 101 any place he can conceal the shorter barreled version.

My first revolver, Taurus Tracker M44c 44 mag.

Shot with FinePix S3100 at 2007-07-18

.44 mag. Thats a big snub. Congrats!

FJC
    My 642:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links