glock 30 vs SA XD .40 subcompact

This is a discussion on glock 30 vs SA XD .40 subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have shot the glock 30 and liked it very much. if you have fired both, how does the SA XD .40 sub feel comparatively?...

Thread: glock 30 vs SA XD .40 subcompact

i have shot the glock 30 and liked it very much. if you have fired both, how does the SA XD .40 sub feel comparatively?

40XD-C feels great, a lil snappy but manageable.

My G30 is also nice to shoot, wouldn't wanna shoot ball all day but OK never the less.

Which do I carry? The 40XD-C. It seems to be thinner, I have better holsters for it and its slightly cheaper to practice with.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

and to add to the question....

i am looking to get something acceptable for carry. I think i am partial to the springfield as far as its features are concerned. The issue though is i would prefer .45. I know SA XD has a 4 inch in .45. If i have a smaller frame(5'5" 130lbs), would the 4 incher be a big difference in concealability?

Lead Moderator
    My thoughts. I owned a 3" double stack auto . I found it grip heavy in the holster. A 4" seems to ride better for me IWB.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by primlantah View Post
    and to add to the question....

i am looking to get something acceptable for carry. I think i am partial to the springfield as far as its features are concerned. The issue though is i would prefer .45. I know SA XD has a 4 inch in .45. If i have a smaller frame(5'5" 130lbs), would the 4 incher be a big difference in concealability?
    The XD45c takes about an inch off the grip over the service model. It makes it imo a lot more concealable and you can carry full size reloads if that's your cup of tea. I personally carry two extra compact mags because they conceal better.

It has kind of a square shape, so it can be hard to conceal unless it's in the right spot. A good holster with a cant helps quite a bit. It can definitely be concealed though, especially if you dress for it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I carry an XD .40 sub. DH recently got a G30. The G30 has a wider grip. Which is something to think about if you have small hands.
    Personally, I like to carry the XD, but I have tighter groups with the Glock. Just another gun to "borrow" from DH The G30 is a .45, so there is a caliber difference also.
    Best of luck!

Having never held the XD I cant really compare the feel... but the g30 is perfect in my hand(and i love shooting it). The thing I don't like about it is the lack of external safety. This brought me to the XD but for the caliber i want in the size i want im out of luck.

does size matter when you carry or is it more the shape of the gun?

Grip length can have an affect on printing and concealability but if you carry in a good IWB then the slide length doesn't really matter because nothing below the belt is exposed anyway. I'm 5'-10", 195 lbs and made my Step-Dad and new BIL's jaws drop when they were comparing their .380s and I raised my shirt to pull out my 5" 1911 ... that was a fun day .

As far as Glock vs. XD, both are good guns so either would serve you well. The Glock has a lower bore axis and I don't care much for the .40 S&W so I'd personally go with the Glock. You might also want to check out the S&W M&P models in .40 and .45, they really are sweet guns and a viable option to the other two company's offerings.

Well personally speaking I prefer Glocks over the X-D's. I owned an XD-40. I sold it. They shoot good and it was reliable. For me, the glock is a better tactical shooting gun. I now carry a Glock 32. The 357 sig round is a great round to me. IMHO....
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by primlantah View Post
    Having never held the XD I cant really compare the feel... but the g30 is perfect in my hand(and i love shooting it). The thing I don't like about it is the lack of external safety. This brought me to the XD but for the caliber i want in the size i want im out of luck.

does size matter when you carry or is it more the shape of the gun?
    Like what maclean said, it's basically only what's above your pants (if you don't mind IWB carry). So, the grip length and the back end of the slide. The grip length on the xd45C is rather short, so it doesn't print any with a cant. The boxy shape of the back of the slide can indeed print more than thinner pistols (1911) or maybe more rounded pistols. However, it's easy to conceal if the pistol is on the right place on your body and you dress for it (a slightly overlarge shirt is key).
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    The boxy shape of the back of the slide can indeed print more than thinner pistols (1911) or maybe more rounded pistols.
    hehehe...thats what i wanted to hear!

I fought the same decision between the xd-sub and a Glock 27. I ended up with the 27, mainly because I all ready had an xd-40 service and wanted a Glock. If I had not all ready had the bigger xd, i would of gotten the xd-sub. Both are excellent pieces. Gotta have variety in life

Sponsored Links