Need a small caliber revolver for my mother.

This is a discussion on Need a small caliber revolver for my mother. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cliffs Notes Version at the bottom Heres the story behind this. My dad is in the military and he is being deployed to Iraq come ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cliffs Notes Version at the bottom

Heres the story behind this. My dad is in the military and he is being deployed to Iraq come September 1st. This isn't his first deployment by any means, but this is the first deployment where my mother will be left at home by herself (in Northern Virginia). All of us kids are "all growed up" and have our own places/will be at college.

My dad and I discussed the issue and we decided that we would feel better if we left her a handgun to defend herself. We want something that she can grab the phone and lock herself in her room and call 911. Now the catch is...she does not like guns in the house at all. She is very skiddish about guns and has a rather irrational fear of them (especially of handguns). She has been slowly coming around to the fact that I have a (couple) handguns now and have a license to carry. I actually got her to old my XD9 and dry fire it--she about jumped through the ceiling when it 'clicked'.

The reason I am telling you this is because we want her to have a gun but we also want her to be "comfortable" with it. With her, first impressions are going to be crucial. If it "looks" to big or too "dangerous" then she will be 10x more hesitant than she already is. We are also going to have her fire the gun...im thinking that if it kicks any more than slightly shes going to be put off. I told my dad that we should let her shoot a .17 or .22 but leave her with a .32 or .38 that looks like the smaller guns--but that would be dishonest.

So I am thinking nothing larger than .38. My dad was thinking more along the lines of a .25. We also want a revolver. The least complicated the better. We also don't want her to have a gun that could jam--so we would like a hammerless revolver as well. If SHTF and she has to use it then we want to K.I.S.S. I want to be able to tell her "just aim and keep pulling the trigger until you are safe". I don't even want to have to delve into "tap, rack, access" or anything else like that. Believe me..just getting her to accept having the gun in the house is a big enough step--I don't want to overload her.

So, I come to you guys. We did a quick google search and found nothing that matched those criteria and we even went to the gun store here and found nothing. What guns meet the criteria of:
    -small revolver
    -between .22LR and .38 caliber
    -hammerless or at least recessed (forgot the right term for this)

My dad and I decided that if worse comes to worse and shes anti owning/having a gun while he is gone then we may just buy her one anyway, hide it in the closet, and my dad will tell her over the phone when he gets to Iraq that he left it in the closet for her .

Cliffs:
    --Dad is going to Iraq
    --Mom will be left at home by herself(for the first time )
    --Want to get her a gun but shes very skiddish/afraid of guns
    --For that reason we want it to be small .22 - .38
    --Must be a revolver and would like a hammerless version

Administrator

Post The S&W .22 Magnum AirLite

You would need to remove the spur from the hammer. Easy to do.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Your Mother needs to be the one to decide if a gun is right for her. You will be making a mistake to force one on her. As much as you want to protect her, consider other options and make sure that she is part of the decision process.

I can't find that anywhere on ze internet that shows a price. How much does that run and where could I get my hands on one? Whats the model number?

edit: 351PD for $700 eeek. For a 22M ????

Lightbulb S&w 640

A model 640 S&W.All stainless,double action only,with no exposed hammer. Heavy enough to soak up recoil. load it with some 148 gr. wadcutters and it should be pleasent to shoot,and adequate for protection..................

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_56 View Post
    Your Mother needs to be the one to decide if a gun is right for her. You will be making a mistake to force one on her. As much as you want to protect her, consider other options and make sure that she is part of the decision process.
    I realize that. We want to present her with a selection of firearms that are acceptable. I am trying to get a list of revolvers that meet our criteria. So far we have one the 351PD but thats a tad pricey(especially for a 22magnum).

Dont rule out a SW model 60. I have an aunt that loves hers. She can shoot it pretty well too.

The SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 317 REVOLVER looks okay.

I would prefer a larger caliber but I think my mom would cry with anything above .38 (and when I say .38 I mean 38spec would be too much for her.

I'm not sure giving her a gun would be the right thing to do. With her being afraid of it, unskilled with a gun and lacking the mindset to use it,I would think it is more likely to be taken from her by an assailant. Perhaps some bear spray & a cell phone would provide better security.

But, if you must get her a gun, consider the Ruger SP101, it is made in a .32 caliber model. That should be less likely to scare her when teaching her to use it. Light recoil, small bullets.

Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with a 3" barrel. Load it will .38's, and it will not kick much at all. I suggest a 3" barrel because the snubs would be harder to hit a target with.

I think the SP101 is also made in .32 magnum, with a 6 shot cylinder, if you can find one. Gunbroker?

If you think a .22 is enough, a good used High Standard Sentinel would be a good option. I have one, and it's a good shooter. 9 shot cylinder in .22 lr.

In all honesty, though, if your mom has an irrational fear of guns, she might not have the wherewithal to actually use one to defend herself, even if her life is threatened. Some people are like that. If that's the case, a gun in the home will only have the potential to turn an unarmed intruder into an armed intruder. I'd sit down and have a serious talk with her about the reality of what could happen. In the end, it has to be her decision, whether she wants a gun in her home or not.

Bear spray works great, if she won't allow a gun in the house. It's hard to miss your target with the big can!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with a 3" barrel. Load it will .38's, and it will not kick much at all. I suggest a 3" barrel because the snubs would be harder to hit a target with.

I think the SP101 is also made in .32 magnum, with a 6 shot cylinder, if you can find one. Gunbroker?

If you think a .22 is enough, a good used High Standard Sentinel would be a good option. I have one, and it's a good shooter. 9 shot cylinder in .22 lr.

In all honesty, though, if your mom has an irrational fear of guns, she might not have the wherewithal to actually use one to defend herself, even if her life is threatened. Some people are like that. If that's the case, a gun in the home will only have the potential to turn an unarmed intruder into an armed intruder. I'd sit down and have a serious talk with her about the reality of what could happen. In the end, it has to be her decision, whether she wants a gun in her home or not.

Bear spray works great, if she won't allow a gun in the house. It's hard to miss your target with the big can!
    The plan is to sit her down and talk to her about it. But we wanted to present her with options. The Bear Spray is a good idea though. My mom has an irrational fear, but I honestly believe that if she needed to defend herself she wouldn't hesitate to use a gun we left for her. I get the impression that she is one good scare away for being 100% pro gun. Unfortunately, I don't want her to have to go through that scare before she realizes the utility of having a gun for self defense.

Lead Moderator
    Once you get her in the proper mindset, let her help pick the gun. She needs to pick what she can effectively use.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Consider the following self defense tactics and hardware: good door and window locks, alarm system, motion lights, guard dog, I have three Rottweilers (make the home a difficult target), self-awareness / self defense class, pepper spray, taser stun gun ( these work very well). I'm sure others will offer more ideas.

Are doggy of 17 years died last December :(. This is a good idea, though I think my mom was glad to be done with the dog hair . Excellent non-gun suggestions.

Sounds to me that you should have started working on your mother in preparation for this day a long time ago.

If she does not want a gun, Do Not get her a gun. That is foolish at best and at worst, Disasterous!

I sure wouldn't bully her into "accepting" one either.

Now, if you are willing to spend the time with her and train her and alieve her fears and take her to the range and teach her so that she is comfortable with a gun, then that may be different.

However if she doesn't have the mindset that she is capable of using a gun do defend herself, you might be tragically surprised at the outcome if she tried to use a gun she was afraid of and failed.

Now if you are looking for a revolver, I would look into a Ruger SP-101 in .38 spl, .357 mag, or .32 H&R mag. (as you know the .357 can be loaded with .38 spl rounds, which I woud recommend)

You can order the Ruger SP-101's with Crimson Trace Laser Grips already on the gun directly from the factory or get crimson traces as an aftermarket piece. (So any local gun dealer can order the model with the Crimson Trace Laser Grips directly from Ruger)

I would recommend getting the Crimson Trace for her gun! (simple to use, damn near fool proof, proven design, and quick sighting in the close confines of the house or bedroom and would increase her chances at getting a hit when needed)

I also wouldn't worry about a hammerless model being an "absolute must have feature." Trust me, it is not going to be an issue with the "limited" amount of use your mother uses it in. I don't see her getting her ccw and pocket carrying it everywhere she goes. I would also recommend getting one with a 3 inch barrel If you decide not to get the laser grips.

Below is the link to Rugers SP-101 page:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...&type=Revolver

Good Luck! BTW... I have two SP-101's and they are tough, accurate, indestructable guns. Of the highest quality!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links