Reliability of Taurus

Reliability of Taurus

This is a discussion on Reliability of Taurus within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have given my sub compact XD 9 to my son as a come home from Iraq present.(In one piece). So I am looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliability of Taurus

Reliability of Taurus

I have given my sub compact XD 9 to my son as a come home from Iraq present.(In one piece). So I am looking for a small 9 MM to replace it. I liked the features of the XD but it was rather thick. I carried it iwb.
    I was looking at the Millennium Pro Pistols line. They are about $400 out the door. I have a Taurus 357 revolver and like it very much. My ? to you is are they good guns? I remember the saying you get what you pay for. But is this also true with this model pistol? The Xd 9 shot very well and like the ergonomics. I just hate to be stuck with a gun I will not like. I know this is general question and every one has there opinion. But I am mainly interested of a lemon type gun to stay far away from.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Taurus Millenium Pros should cost a bit less than that so it might be that your area is expensive, but at the $400 range you could also look at the S&W M&Ps.

Taurus guns aren't lemons, there's probably hundreds of thousands worn every day, but IMO they are shadowed by other guns that only cost a little more, any of the ~$500 guns.

I don't have any experience with that particular Taurus but I have owned a 92 semiauto and an 85 snubbie and they were both good guns that never gave me a problem.

I personally would not have a problem with any Taurus that fit my needs.

Good Luck!

Good Concealed Carry Pistol

I carry a full size Taurus 1911 and it works fine. A friend of mine has a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It's a 3" barrel 45 ACP. I shot steel plate at 25 yards, out of the box, and hit all of them. I was concerned that the recoil would be a bit much. Actually, not only is it accurate, the recoil is no worse than my full size 1911.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have a couple of Taurus revolvers and have never had any problem with them. I would echo Pete's comment about the Smith M&P however. I think they are the best bargain out there for a semi-auto pistol.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I carried a PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm for two years. I put approx 2500 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any kind. Next to my Sig P239 it is the only pistol that I have owned to be 100% reliable. Its small, lightweight and easy to conceal. I wish I had kept it.

Lead Moderator
    try a search for Taurus on this site. I owned a Millemonium PT 140. Lets just say I was less than thrilled.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
    I carried a PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm for two years. I put approx 2500 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any kind. Next to my Sig P239 it is the only pistol that I have owned to be 100% reliable. Its small, lightweight and easy to conceal. I wish I had kept it.
    The Sig P239 is my other choice. How do they compare? Recoil fast on target and mainly accurately grouping on the target?
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    The Sig P239 is my other choice. How do they compare? Recoil fast on target and mainly accurately grouping on the target?
    They really dont compare. The Sig is a far better built gun. The Sig has better componets, tighter tolerances and better workmanship. The recoil is not an issue at all.
    If it were my dollar, I would buy the Sig and not worry about the extra money for it. Its money well spent, as you will not lose near the value with the Sig as you will with the Taurus.
    I will risk sounding a little snobish (what else is new) and say that those think Taurus is on par with the major gun companys really dont understand what they are missing. Taurus does fill a role, they build somewhat inexpensive guns that perform OK, and survive on the low initial price tag. Once you start adding things up like extra mags (Taurus mags are $$, with no cheaper alternative) you really dont save any money at all.
    Now that I kinda of bashed Taurus, I will give them a little praise. They do build a decent revolver, but their QC is a little lacking, but improving. Most are good to go but there is more than one bad apple in every Taurus barrel.
    I do think the Millenium is the best pistol they make, but see comments in above paragraph. One can do better for a little or no more money if you look at the bigger picture.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had a PT-111 mil pro in 9mm for several years. I stickly used it as a range gun. Only problem I had with it was the front sight came loose twice.

People bad mouth the heck out them, but I thought it was a good gun and it went bang when i pulled the trigger. I think the trigger pull could be better on them, but once you get used to it, I quit noticing it. I would trust my life with it.

Administrator
    I have never been enthralled with Taurus handguns because I have a long memory and remember the years of constant catastrophic mechanical failures associated with Taurus firearms and I personally will never fully trust them.
    They also do not retain much resale value so basically if you buy one you had best keep it because you'll never sell it for much if anything.
    Nobody seems to want used Taurus handguns - they have a pox like used Llama pistols.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I have owned a Taurus PT-99 for over 20 years, never flickered once with a truck load of ammo thru it. I also have a 3rd gen PT-111, close to 3K rounds thru it with no problems. Yes, they are cheap, yes, the mags will bite your wallet a little, but the two I have, I have 100% trust in. I alternate them every week for carry. Someone else will come on here and say that they should be tossed into the ocean. Opinions, everyone has one, just as they all have an
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Administrator
    Taurus overall QC has improved greatly.

mech1369dlw (of course) is correct that everyone will have their own opinion.
    To be honest with you when I pick up a gun magazine I skip over all Taurus articles & when I am in a gun shop I always bypass all Taurus firearms.
    My disdain for them them is so deep and ingrained that I personally would not even consider carrying one for self-defense.

So my opinion is admittedly extreme. Snobbery has nothing to with the formulation of my opinion. The past history of Taurus has everything to do with my present opinion.
    Personally I am just not willing to play the Taurus Crapshoot handgun game.
    Whoever got a good one I'm happy for them though and folks can carry whatever they want to carry and it makes no difference to me.
    As long as they are happy with their everyday carry handgun then their choice is honestly fine with me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I had no problems with my PT145 Mil Pro. I traded it because I found myself carrying my Kahr PM9 more often. When I wanted to carry a .45, I'd usually go for my 1911, but that's me.

My Taurus was fine, though. I'm sure the new owner (A forum member here), will enjoy it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Both the Taurus handguns I have handled this year have broken on me. Both were new in box and had very few rounds through them. (first one 22 rounds, second 250-300)

Their quoted warrenty repair times are sort of a joke. First gun that was sent back was done so 9 weeks ago, and after calling and checking on it they said it was still waiting to be evaluated to find out what is wrong , and may be looked at in about 3-4 weeks. (quoted time was 5-6 week total turn around)

That being said. If you get a good one they tend to be very good. Countless people have had 1000s of rounds through them without any problems. Their newest autos also seem to have shaken off a good deal of the previous problems, and are a good bargin if you get one that works. If not, they will fix it for you, but it can take a long time, which can be troublesome if that is your only carry option.

I personally will most likely not purchase another Taurus pistol however, the choice is yours, and if the taurus mil pro works for you then that is what matters.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links