Gemini SP101 - to port or not to port?

Gemini SP101 - to port or not to port?

This is a discussion on Gemini SP101 - to port or not to port? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I am going to have Marc at Gemini Customs slick up a 2.25" Ruger SP101 DAO for me. I am undecided as to ...

Question Gemini SP101 - to port or not to port?

Hello everyone,

I am going to have Marc at Gemini Customs slick up a 2.25" Ruger SP101 DAO for me.

I am undecided as to whether or not to port the little guy. I asked Marc if the ports would burn off the front of a FO sight and he said 2 cylinders worth of rounds would blacken it.

I am only wanting to port it now if I decide on using the factory front sight. Has anyone had success with any other front sight on the 2.25" ported model?

Any other thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

Any pics of ported 2.25" guns showing the front sight after shooting and before cleaning would be helpful.

I have owned a few ported pistols and don't mind the extra noise.

Thanks for your input!

Darin

you will get a lot of posts both ways on this

the old what happens if you shoot from retention will come up along with burning or blinding yourself..

Its gonna be personal preference my 44 Carry comp is ported of course the ports do allow you to control and recover on to target easier ..

The don't bother me i would say if you can find a wheelie to shoot that is ported try it first

Administrator
    I wouldnt port it... no good reason too IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A no port vote

I don't think a Ruger SP101 snubby needs porting for muzzle jump control, as the gun weighs 25 ounces empty and should handle .357 recoil well enough. If it were an alloy frame gun I might vote differently.

I will say that ports make for a very dirty front sight and barrel top after shooting a few rounds. A lot of black soot comes out of the ports and collects on the gun, obscuring the front sight and requiring extra time for cleaning. I have also felt hot bits of powder land on my hand when shooting my ported Glock 23. It made me replace the ported barrel with an unported barrel to neutralize the ports.

leave it alone.
    not only will muzzle flash will get you in trouble and blind you at the wrong time, but someone (maybe a friend, etc.)could be in the vicinity of the porting and get a burst of heat, concussion, and possibly it spit out some metal fragments in the wrong direction.
    the sp101's weight will do well enough to help with recoil reduction. If it still bucks like a mule when you lite off those 125 grainer's and you can't help but squirm and close both eyes, go with a .38 special + p..... or shoot alot....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the 3" SP101 and hope one day to send it to Gemini. I've thought it over too. To be blunt, I think it looks cool and it would make shooting .357's easier, however, with .38's it's already a dream to shoot so I think it boils down to use. If this is strictly a CCW piece, I would recommend you don't port it. flash, close quarters, etc., etc., are all very valid. If it's for hiking, plinking, range, and and occassional CCW and you can afford the porting and like it, then go for it.

Enjoy it, I think the look awfully sweet when they get back from Marc's.

God Bless
    Gideon

Thanks for your input!

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate your time.

Ported handguns do have their place. I am having trouble finding more good than bad for my situation with a ported CCW gun.

I thought the porting would allow significantly quicker follow up shots as it does on other ported handguns I have owned but the downside in a CCW application seems to outway the upside, at least for my needs/viewpoint.

Thanks,
    Darin

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I opted for the base package without porting....but Marc talked me into a fiber optic front....glad he did...it is very bright in normal light and makes target shooting a lot more fun....

Hi LoveLeather,

My SP101 will probably end up similiar to yours except for being DAO.

Thanks for the great pics. They are already saved to my computer for my SP101 screen saver.

Thanks,
    Darin

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I'm flattered...btw, I didn't go DOA since I didn't buy it for my main carry....I was actually looking for a snub to qualify with and save the abuse on my airweight 442 (since it's a pre-lock and I don't want to replace it with a new one if need be)...anyway, Marc does a great meld job and the hammer is nicely rounded....so if you decide you still like a hammer, it's a bit more snag free than stock...tell Marc Dave D from LA said hello....great guy to do business with...if you ain't happy, he ain't happy.

Administrator
    I would not have it ported right away.
    You can always send it to Mag-Na-Port International later on if you decide to have it ported and then go with their Quad Port.
    That would be the only porting system that I would consider anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links