.357 SIG or 10mm? - Page 2

.357 SIG or 10mm?

This is a discussion on .357 SIG or 10mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since your friend is considering a Glock in either .357 Sig or 10mm for concealed carry, I assume he is considering the two Glock models ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .357 SIG or 10mm?

Glock 32 vs. Glock 29, I presume

Since your friend is considering a Glock in either .357 Sig or 10mm for concealed carry, I assume he is considering the two Glock models G32 and G29, which are both compact guns of similar size. Each weighs about 24-25 ounces empty, and the G29 is slightly shorter in grip and barrel:

Both are powerful guns, and the 10mm G29 probably has a slight edge in ballistic performance. The 10mm, 175 grain Winchester Silvertip has a muzzle velocity of about 1290 fps and muzzle energy of 647 ft-lbs. A typical .357 Sig load is a 125 grain bullet with velocity of 1350 fps and muzzle energy of 507 ft-lbs. Both the practice and defense ammo for both of these calibers is expensive, as others have pointed out.

I guess my first choice would be to avoid either of these calibers and get a Glock 30 (similar to the G29) in .45 ACP or a Glock 23 (similar to the G32) in .40 S&W caliber. This way I could buy practice ammo at a more affordable price.

And if you pick the best defensive ammo in .45 or .40 you can come fairly close to the ballistics of the .357 Sig and 10mm. For example, 155 grain .40 S&W Winchester Silvertips have a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps and muzzle energy of 500 ft-lbs, which is almost identical to .the 357 Sig energy performance above. And in .45 ACP caliber, the 165 grain Corbon JHP has muzzle velocity of 1250 fps and muzzle energy of 573 ft-lbs, which comes fairly close to the 10mm cited previously.

A final advantage of the .45 or .40 over the .357 Sig and 10mm in a defensive shooting is that the prosecution will be less able to tell a jury that you were using an exotic "killer caliber", as happened recently in the Arizona trial of a man who used a 10mm to defend himself.
    marcclarke likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    10mm is used up here for people carrying pistols for defense against 4 legged predators including bears, the guys I know who do it have a lot of bush knowledge and like the controlability, hitting power, 10rds and the abilty to quickly reload.

JD
    Administrator
    Of the two, I'd go with 10mm each one has alot of umph to 'em, if your going to have that much recoil, noise, and expensive ammo, you might as well have the added diameter.

My Kimber .40 just came back from the smith, and I'm debating getting a 10mm AND a .357 Sig barrel for it, although in a LW frame they'd be a nightmare.

I would go with a Glock 33 .357sig (cause I have one..heheh), and get the .40 barrel, it's nice having two different calibers in one gun. He can shoot both and find out which caliber he likes. My next purchase is going to be something in 10mm, for some reason I like weird calibers. Everyone has a 9mm and a .45acp, sometimes having something different is nice. And from what I've been reading people are quite succesful in bagging whitetails with a 10mm, that says something about its stopping power as a SD round.

Bob (CLASS3NH) has a G29 that he installed a .357Sig barrel in for carry and seems well pleased with it. The 29 is very high on my want list and possibly my next purchase after the PPK. Since 10mm to .357Sig conversion apparently works well, then so would 10mm to .40. Your friend could buy the G29 and two conversion barrels and effectively own a three caliber platform.

Do a search on here for 10mm by CLASS3NH and you should find the thread.
    Jack

How big is your friend's hand? Does he have a strong grip? How about his amount handgun shooting experience? If choices are limited to 10mm & .357 Sig, a big, stout guy with plenty of experience can easily enjoy the increased power of a 10mm. If concealment, capacity & fast follow-up shots are at all an issue...I'm a BIG fan of the .357 Sig.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If he is that knowledgable I am surprised he is looking at either as a FIRST handgun. Actually how knowledgable can he be if this is his first handgun? He may have plenty of book learning and know his ballistics charts but the fact that he is choosing either as his first makes me think he has less knowledge than he thinks he does...

Both oare VERY expensive to shoot. I am a big 10mm fan. I carry a mag of DoubleTap 135 grain JHPs that zip along at 1600+ fps. Overpenetration is not an issue as the expansion is "dynamic" to say the least. Penetration in any caliber is as much a factor of bullet design as caliber. The back up mags I carry have 200 grain XTPs at 1200+ fps. While the 135 gr goes abotu 12-14" in gel (normal for SD ammo) the 200gr rounds will go over 21". You never know if you may need something that goes a little deeper and it is nice to have a choice.

For the 10mm I can easily reload it. This makes shooting it economical because factory ammo, like for the 357Sig, is very expensive. The Sig round though is harder to reload due to the brass I believe.

For CCW anything from 380 /38 spcl up is a good place to start. My first handgun was a 6" 357 that I put a whellbarrow full of 38s hrough, hard to go wrong with that as a first gun! Your buddy should look into a good wheelgun or a 9mm or .40 or even .45 before getting into some sort of "exotic caliber" he saw reviewed in Guns & Ammo.

If choices are limited to 10mm & .357 Sig, a big, stout guy with plenty of experience can easily enjoy the increased power of a 10mm.
    Practice, practice, practice. I am a 5'4" little guy and carry a Delta Elite loaded with full power 10 regularly.

I'd personally stay away from the 10mm - I don't see that cartridge lasting much longer. Even currently it is not something you find at all stores and it's pricey. Much better ammo selection/availability with the .40 S&W or 9mm and lower costs.

I have a 10mm (s&w 1006) and a glock 23. The glock 23 will carry much better as it is a smaller gun. I don't have a glock 29 but some have said it is hard to hold on to will hot loads. I cannot confirm that personally.

For my glock 23, I have a 357 sig barrel, a 40 cal. barrel, AND a 9mm barrel for cheap shooting. I bought a 9mm magazine to run 9mm ammo through the gun but found out it likes 9mm ammo in a 40 cal. magazine just as well. So far 150 rounds without a jam with the 9mm barrel but I still only use it for informal shooting.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    A good friend is getting his first handgun for concealed carry. He is handgun knowledgeable, not a newbie. He is considering a Glock, either a .357 SIG or 10mm. I'm a bit concerned about those choices due to overpenetration and liability issues and I'm suggesting other calibers. What do you think? Am I on the wrong track? Thanks!
    I like both cartridges don't get me wrong I've got both.
    However, the .357 Sig I Worry alot about if your the type of guy who does not shoot carry loads alot, and shoots your carry gun very frequently.
    The .357 Sig has some cartridge set back issues in this case due to its bottle neck case. If you are rechambering the same cartridge, you run a risk of developing alot higher chamber pressures.

We had a FAM (federal air marshall) who said one of his instructors said once you chamber a .357 SIG if you take it out of the chamber "throw it away!"

I love the 10mm use one for hunting, and I have a 29 that I sometimes carry. However, I'm not sure what a 10mm really gives you that is "that much more" than a .40. .40 being cheaper little less recoil, more managable grip size for the average person, and you can practice with it alot more because of the $ in ammo. Then again I'm not sure what a .40 really gives you that a 9mm doesn't either.
    The cartridge type/ calibre/ muzzle velocity/ energy transfer/ super duper expanding, imploding, armor defeating with no over penatration added recipe, really doesn't help alot if you don't have an accurate individual who is pulling the trigger.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

For a carry gun I'd go with .357 sig over the 10mm just because of the greated selection of firearms that are easily carried. I personally woud go with a .40 over a 357 sig because the .40 in many 155gr loadings matches the energy of the .357sig with its 125gr bullet. Also the .40 is cheaper more available and if you reload, the straight walled .40 case is easier to reload for than the .357 sigs bottleneck.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    I'd personally stay away from the 10mm - I don't see that cartridge lasting much longer. Even currently it is not something you find at all stores and it's pricey. Much better ammo selection/availability with the .40 S&W or 9mm and lower costs.
    EHHH I disagree. The 10mm will always be around, due to hunters and people shooting it pretty often as IPSC gamers. Its also has a pretty heavy cult following. Since the .40 ain't going anywhere and the bullets are exaclty the same, reloaders will always demand brass. Maybe not found in walmart but it will likely stay where its at, not high demand but enough to make your average gun stores carry it. Now that you have some manufactures who speciallize making SD loads only for magnum style handguns, I don't see the 10 disapearing anytime soon.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ted Nugent carries the 10mm if he hasn't changed. If that makes any difference to you.

I personally prefer the .40 cal with same concerns as you mentioned on your first post.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    What is on the shelf at Walmart should not be the deciding factor in carrying. THe 10mm is nto going away. Guns continue to be made for it with EAA, Kimber and Wesson introducing new ones from time to time. Even Wilsons will now make one in it. Ammo is also easy to find online.

As I already said though I think NEITHER caliber is the choice for the new shooter, no matter how knowledgable he thinks he is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links