.357 SIG or 10mm?

This is a discussion on .357 SIG or 10mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For defense against four legged critters I would say the 10mm without a doubt. For bipedal attackers/aggressors I would say, between the two poor choices, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .357 SIG or 10mm?

For defense against four legged critters I would say the 10mm without a doubt.

For bipedal attackers/aggressors I would say, between the two poor choices, the 357 Sig.

I would suggest a 40 S&W or a 9mm, or even a 45 ACP. Of those three, providing I can get "decent" by my standards ammunition, I would take the 9mm. If ammunition availability, (JHP), was a question I would select the 40 S&W. If, for some strange reason I had to rely on "Ball" ammo I would select the 45 ACP and not look back.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

I like 10mm for carry. I also like Glocks. But a Glock 10mm for carry is a hungry and expensive mouth to feed. If that's no object, tell him to get the G29. It's a great gun.

The problem with a Glock 10mm is that you cannot safely reload your spent shells because it has a chamber that is not fully supported. This results in brass that comes out slightly indented and weakened. I wouldn't reuse it. Because reloading is what keeps the 10mm reasonable in price to shoot, that means buying new brass every time, buying factory ammo, or getting an aftermarket barrel. I suggest a different 10mm if cost is an issue.

My friend is a retired USN Seal, so he is very knowledgeable about handguns, this is just the first one HE has bought. Right now, I think I have him leaning towards a .45; he is interested in the XD-45 compact or the Sig P220 Carry. He lives in a "not so good" neighborhood and I think his main concern was stopping power. I've been telling him NO cartridge can guarantee a one shot drop. Well, maybe .50 caliber but let's not go there! All the advice from you guys have been a big help. We're going shopping Saturday (7-14-07), so I'll let you know what he picks up. Thanks, friends!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Quote Originally Posted by whitestone View Post
    I like 10mm for carry. I also like Glocks. But a Glock 10mm for carry is a hungry and expensive mouth to feed. If that's no object, tell him to get the G29. It's a great gun.

The problem with a Glock 10mm is that you cannot safely reload your spent shells because it has a chamber that is not fully supported. This results in brass that comes out slightly indented and weakened. I wouldn't reuse it. Because reloading is what keeps the 10mm reasonable in price to shoot, that means buying new brass every time, buying factory ammo, or getting an aftermarket barrel. I suggest a different 10mm if cost is an issue.
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the chambers for the .357Sig Glocks are fully supported, or do they have the same issue?

Edit: grammer...
    Last edited by ShadeAngel; July 13th, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

10mm for me. Especially in MP5. Bigger and close in speed

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    The 357 Sig is basically a 9mm Magnum. The 10mm is basically a 40 cal magnum. The 357 is shorter and carries in a double stack mag better. Personally I dont like either, but since I carry a 357 Sig as an issued weapon, I have more experience with it than the 10mm and would likely choose it over the 10mm.

Why don't you like the 357sig?

Both my 239 and 229 are chambered in the 357sig (double tap 125gr ammo) and I really like that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    My friend is a retired USN Seal, so he is very knowledgeable about handguns
    I've known several HSLD guys who were clueless about handguns other than they could point and shoot em.

Do ya know that SEAL stands for Sleep, Eat, And Lift, cuz that's all they do

I just bought a Glock 32. I love it. Yes ammo is more expensive but I feel well worth it. The great thing is it is the same size as my 19. They both feel the same in your hand just different in the recoil.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post
    I've known several HSLD guys who were clueless about handguns other than they could point and shoot em.

Do ya know that SEAL stands for Sleep, Eat, And Lift, cuz that's all they do
    Believe me, this man could take out the Terminator! He is extremly knowledgeable about handguns, as I said. Maybe you just knew a bunch of wussies!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Carr View Post
    Why don't you like the 357sig?

Both my 239 and 229 are chambered in the 357sig (double tap 125gr ammo) and I really like that caliber.

Simple answer for that. Last shooting we had was at close distances with nine rounds fired with nine torso hits and SIX of them went through and through some of them ending up 90feet away with enough strength to put a half dollar size dent into a thin metal wall.

Sorry, I carry it because I'm issued it (and have no other choice there) but would not personally carry it (and dont on my time).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Got to admit, the .45 shooting we had the other day had one entrance hole & no exit hole.

Course the guy was shot in the chest and lived long enough to have his chest cracked in the ER.

They were unable to recover the bullet, coroner was going to take care of that little issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Simple answer for that. Last shooting we had was at close distances with nine rounds fired with nine torso hits and SIX of them went through and through some of them ending up 90feet away with enough strength to put a half dollar size dent into a thin metal wall.

Sorry, I carry it because I'm issued it (and have no other choice there) but would not personally carry it (and dont on my time).
    Fed - this is an honest question and not meant to be argumentative - but do you think the rounds that penetrated the BG had enough energy left to do any real damage? I can throw a bullet 90 feet and have in ding a piece of sheet metal, but that doesn't mean I'm going to send someone to the hospital with that same thrown round. I know over-penetration is a concern, and often a legitimate one, but do you think this was such a case? Thanks.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Bob (CLASS3NH) has a G29 that he installed a .357Sig barrel in for carry and seems well pleased with it. The 29 is very high on my want list and possibly my next purchase after the PPK. Since 10mm to .357Sig conversion apparently works well, then so would 10mm to .40. Your friend could buy the G29 and two conversion barrels and effectively own a three caliber platform.

Do a search on here for 10mm by CLASS3NH and you should find the thread.
    Jack
    LOL Hi Jack...Thanks for the mentioning me on this subject <smile>
    I still have that G29 with the fitted 357 Sig BBL for the gun... I use the G29 mags for BOTH cartridges and they feed flawlessly.. I use the Slivertip 175 gr and the 135 gr Speers for both types of carry with this gun.. When People ask me about the 357 Sig Ctg.I tell em "great for car doors and windshilds.........and the 10MM is even better for that purpose..I have a fw links in my previous posts about the gun and the drop-in BBL conversion. (mine is a Strom Lake BBL in 357 Sig.....Recoil is VERY managable in both loads... I'd say....go for it... and get the extra BBL in 357 Sig....this way ya got the best of both worlds.. and a LOT of good options
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'm kinda partial to this one.

P1020523 (Medium).JPG

P1020524 (Medium).JPG
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

I got a glock 20sf...and I can get a 40cal or a 357sig for my 10mm and use my factory mags...3 guns in one. I can get 10mm ammo that mimics 40cal and better accuracy IMHO.just a lot of options with the glock 20sf,20 or 29.....love the 10mm...
    AZJD1968 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links