.357 SIG or 10mm?

This is a discussion on .357 SIG or 10mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As someone who owns both a Glock 33 and Glock 29sf, I definitely favor the 29. The only advantage the 33 has over the 29, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .357 SIG or 10mm?

As someone who owns both a Glock 33 and Glock 29sf, I definitely favor the 29. The only advantage the 33 has over the 29, in my opinion, is it's less bulky. I love the G29 though; it's a lot of fun to shoot.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    A final advantage of the .45 or .40 over the .357 Sig and 10mm in a defensive shooting is that the prosecution will be less able to tell a jury that you were using an exotic "killer caliber", as happened recently in the Arizona trial of a man who used a 10mm to defend himself.
    A lot of state agencies and Federal Air Marshalls carry .357 Sig. So it would be hard to call it "exotic".

Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    A good friend is getting his first handgun for concealed carry. He is handgun knowledgeable, not a newbie. He is considering a Glock, either a .357 SIG or 10mm. I'm a bit concerned about those choices due to overpenetration and liability issues and I'm suggesting other calibers. What do you think? Am I on the wrong track? Thanks!
    Since the original post was almost five years ago, czman2006's good friend is probably more experienced than many of us by now; yet, this thread is still not complete without a post by glockman10mm.
    lyz_grace likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by czman2006 View Post
    A good friend is getting his first handgun for concealed carry. He is handgun knowledgeable, not a newbie. He is considering a Glock, either a .357 SIG or 10mm. I'm a bit concerned about those choices due to overpenetration and liability issues and I'm suggesting other calibers. What do you think? Am I on the wrong track? Thanks!
    Most of the Factory ammo in these two calibers is pretty mild.
    357 sig is milder than 357 magnum for revolvers.
    AND , the standard 357sig loads are often Equalled by 9mm Plus P offerings.

The 10mm factory ammo is only about 100fps faster than most .40S&W loads.

Both calibers are about 15% more expensive than common 9mm or .40sw

If you get indicted for a crime after using a gun in self defense - change lawyers.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I love .357sig!!!

It has a lot of energy, and has a flat trajectory so it's really accurate. I actually found a good article by Massad Ayoob. Take a look.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...S1211/?page=26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    A as a person who has shot Glocks in both 10mm and .357 SIG, I like the Glock 357 much better for recoil
    management.

Same thrilling muzzle blast as a 10mm, but less recoil than a Glock .40 or 10mm.

However, 10mm cost less to shoot than the 357, or it did two years ago when I had my 10mm
    Witness.

I'm eager to handle the Gen 4 G33 and G29SF whenever they come out
    as I like both cartridges and the feel of the Gen 4 G17s so far.

Bottom line would be for your friend to buy the Glock 357 in either 3 sizes,
    and to give it a whirl.

The Glock 33 does have more recoil than the larger Glock 19 sized G32.

And yes, having owned a 357 M&P Compact for a while..I think a SHIELD in 357 SIG would be an interesting gun as well.

KEV
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

I always liked the 357 sig....don't worry about liabilities or courts....shoot a good jhp.and prey.anyone have any experience with drop in barrels for the glocks..accuracy wise? Any brand better for reloading/brass bulge issues? Really been looking at lone .Wolfe for my 20sf

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    A as a person who has shot Glocks in both 10mm and .357 SIG, I like the Glock 357 much better for recoil
    management.
    With the .357 sig having 20% less muzzle energy than the 10mm comparing the two boxes in your photo (675 ft/lbs for 10mm vs 537 ft/lbs for .357 sig).
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    10mm is used up here for people carrying pistols for defense against 4 legged predators including bears, the guys I know who do it have a lot of bush knowledge and like the controlability, hitting power, 10rds and the abilty to quickly reload.
    This is in line with my thoughts. Not sure where the OP is from or what his intended use it, but if it included outdoorsman use I'd opt for the 10mm.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would go with a G23 or g27 in 40 and get a 357 and 9mm barrel. The 10 is great if you hand load or buy the expensive and hard to find exotic stuff but off the shelf ammo offers no real advantage over the 40. 357 is better than +P+ 9mm but not by much. Get a aftermarket 9mm barrel and shoot the 9 from mild to wild. I have a G29, 30 and 27 and the 27 is so much easier to shoot and carry and I carry it as a back up when long gun hunting. The 30 with 45+P is better than the standard 10mm stuff but when you load 10mm to its potential it is awesome.

I vote for the 10mm. I haven't shot it in the glock platform yet but do carry a delta elite.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

Let’s see 5 year old thread revived earlier this year...
    None the less and for the record I have owned both, got rid of the 357 sig due to the bottle neck cartridge and I reload.
    The 10mm will be around a long time and at .11 to reload almost as cheap as reloading 9mm, the only piece that costs more is the actual boolit ;)

Stay safe.
    PS I have a box of UMC 357 Sig that needs a good home (BristolTN area), found them cleaning out one of the safes a few months back.
    Last edited by pfries; September 27th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I really enjoy shooting my 29SF, and will highly recommend it. Remember that the 10mm has 10 bullet weights to choose from, more than any other caliber. The range of power is huge. You can choose some close to the .40 (but a lot easier to shoot), to all the way up to > 700 ft/lbs of energy. For instenace, the Winchester Super-X Silvertip 175 grain delivers: 1037 fps at a 100 yeards!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links