Kahr CW40 opinions or better options?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW40 opinions or better options? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to pick up a good concealed carry 40 S&W semi. I love the dimensions and clean lines of the Kahr's, and the CW40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW40 opinions or better options?

I'm looking to pick up a good concealed carry 40 S&W semi. I love the dimensions and clean lines of the Kahr's, and the CW40 seems like a good "budget" version of their pistol line.
    What are your opinions of the CW40 (or the P40)? Pluses? Minuses?
    The only thing I don't like is that the CW40 is only 7 rounds...

What are some other comparable options in 40S&W that are good for concealed carry - looking for something trim. Not a fan of doublestack Glocks. Thanks!

Nothing????

Steyr S40. Double stack mag though. I have no problem with the larger M40.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I like Kahr pistols , but dont care for the .40 ctg. I dont think you will go wrong with a cw in any cal even tho i do not own one , my kahrs are the p series .

The only real complaint i have with the cw series is the sights , or rather the way they are mounted , i prefer the dovetailed method .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I like Kahr pistols , but dont care for the .40 ctg. I dont think you will go wrong with a cw in any cal even tho i do not own one , my kahrs are the p series .

The only real complaint i have with the cw series is the sights , or rather the way they are mounted , i prefer the dovetailed method .
    Just curious - what's your problem with .40 cal? Thanks.

Kahr probably makes the thinnest .40 caliber guns

Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    What are some other comparable options in 40S&W that are good for concealed carry - looking for something trim. Not a fan of doublestack Glocks. Thanks!
    It is hard to find a .40 caliber CCW gun as slim as the Kahrs you mentioned. The Sig P239 is a single stack and available in .40 caliber, but is fairly thick compared to the Kahrs, especially in the grip area because of thick grip panels. S&W recently made a scandium frame single stack .40 called the 4040PD, but it may be out of production now.

I think your best bet might be a 1911 in .40 caliber with a short barrel of 3 inches and slim grip panels. Kimber, Colt and STI have all made guns like this, and they typically have a slide width of 0.90 inches (same as the Kahrs) and a grip width of about 1.0 inches with the slim grip panels. The Colt Defender and the Kimber Ultra are both in this category and have been made in .40 caliber. These are typically more expensive than the Kahrs, however, and involve cocked and locked carry.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    vashooter I find the .40 to be a solution in search of a problem . IMHO it offers no advantage over either my 9mm or my .45acp and has a recoil impulse that i find snappy and uncomfortable in almost every pistol i have tried in it . In fact i find full house 10mm more comfortable to shoot than the .40 , and it would offer some advantages if i still carryed one . Another round i see in the same light is the .357 sig IMHO they are not better , just different , and in fact worse for me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have a Kahr P40 that works well for me in the warmer months. When I first got it, I had some feeding issues. I sent it out to Kahr and had it back in two weeks with a polished feed ramp and a new recoil spring. Now it doesn't miss a beat.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have a CW40 and I like it. The one thing you will notice however, is that it is a pretty snappy gun (recoil). I have not had the opertunity to shoot a kahr in 9mm, but I would imagine that all the kahrs are pretty snappy to a degree compared to larger fatter weapons. Felt recoil compared to my glock 23 is significant. I also attribute that partially due to the fact that is so thin. When first shooting it, I felt that I could not get a firm enough grip on it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

The entire line of Kahr pistols are AWESOME! Some of the PM9 had recalls on them, but other than that they seem to be overall great. I have 3 P9's, 1 P40, 1 P9 covert, and a K40 (among various other firearms.) I find the P40 to be very snappy on recoil, but what do you expect from a powerful 40 cartridge and such a light gun. It is snappy, but not painful to shoot. The 40 cal is a great cartridge, which is proven by its foothold in the Law Enforcement community. The CW line has two faults as of now, and that is the sights. It will be difficult for a little bit longer to find night sights for them, until someone decides to make them, and they come with one mag. Due to the slim lines of the Kahr, you sacrifice round capacity, therefore having to purchase another mag unlike the P and K series that comes with two mags. As far as the capacity issue goes, 99.9% of self defense shootings will be over in around 3 shots, one way or the other. If you find yourself needing more than 6 or 7 shots, then you either need to practice ALLOT more, are in the WRONG location, or should have a badge and uniform. I always carry an extra mag with me, just in case, but do not feel under gunned with any of my Kahr pistols on me, and carry my P9 covert (same gun as P9, but has the PM9's shorter grip) allot of the time. You will most likely be very happy with the CW40, just practice allot and get used to its recoil and trigger and you will be fine.
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by TSquare View Post
    ...The CW line has two faults as of now, and that is the sights. It will be difficult for a little bit longer to find night sights for them, until someone decides to make them, and they come with one mag. ....
    PT Night sights make something for Kahr pistols. I have them on my PM40. Are the CW dovetails different?

The CW series does not have dovetailed sights. Almost every company make night sights for the P series guns, I have XS and trijicon on my P series guns.
    www.okshooters.com

How are the sights afixed to the slide in the CW line?

They are pinned or screwed in. Don't know for sure, have not handled them. They are not dovetailed though, I know that.
    www.okshooters.com

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    vashooter I find the .40 to be a solution in search of a problem . IMHO it offers no advantage over either my 9mm or my .45acp and has a recoil impulse that i find snappy and uncomfortable in almost every pistol i have tried in it . In fact i find full house 10mm more comfortable to shoot than the .40 , and it would offer some advantages if i still carryed one . Another round i see in the same light is the .357 sig IMHO they are not better , just different , and in fact worse for me .
    Same here...hate 40 recoil....for a small gun, I'll stick with 9mm...and much cheaper to practice with...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links