Defensive Carry banner

Range Report: DW CBOB .45acp 1911

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MIKEV 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my CBOB a couple weeks ago and wasn't able to get to the range until this past Saturday. I appologize for the tardiness of this report.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

Clock Circle Home accessories Wall clock

Circle Plate Dishware Tableware Platter

Circle Window

Ammo used, Fiocchi 230grain FMJ 200rds total
Targets used 9" "Pieplate" 7.5"inner circle 1" outer circle .5" border

Magazines used. 2 stock DW mags 7? round cap. (came with the gun) Honestly not sure if its 7 or 8 round mag but I could only get 7 rounds to seat in them.

Gun was FS, cleaned and lubed using FP-10 prior to visit to range.

First 7rounds were from 2hd supported (bench) position. 7feet out
3rd round didn't chamber "slide locked to rear". completed IAD, remaining rounds fired, all rounds were in the white aprox 2'' group.

next 7 same as above second round went click not bang, I discovered mag approx 1/3 out, (My bad,... didn't seat it well i reckon) remaining rounds fired in the white again approx 2" group

next 7 2hd unsupported 4th round slide lock, completed IAD and shot remaning all in whit about 2.5" group.

next 7 same as above no failures all in white same results as above.

backed up to 10' 2 hd from bench shot 7rounds no failures "two holes in target aprox 1" apart" :image035:

repeat above 7rds no failures, but more than 2 holes :wink:

backed to 15' 2hd, 14 rounds, all in the white, no failures

backed to 21' 2hd, 14 rounds, all in the white.round 4 slide lock (same mag each time)

backed to 75feet 2hd, 14 rounds, all but 1 within the border,one about 2" low left.:frown:

up to 10'strong hand, 14rounds, all in the white, no failures

back to 15' strong hand, 14 rounds all in the white, no failures

back to 21' strong hand, 14 rounds, all in the white, no failures

up to 10', week hand, 14 rounds, all in the white, no failures

back to 15' week hand, 7rds. all within the 2nd ring, no failures

back to 21' week hand, 7rds. 6 inside the border, no failures (miss was about 3" to the left)

up to 10' 7 rds strong hand rapid fire, unsighted, all with in the white
no failures.

remaining rds fired duplicating some of the above as well as attempting flash sight/ unsighted drills. no problems, no failures.

Overall I am very much liking this handgun, shoots well for me and I seem to be able to shoot it well enough.

I suspect the slide lock thing will go away eventually. I hope

One thing I did notice was that Fiocchi is dirty, my SS 1911 was as black as my xd from the muzzle opening to about 1.5" back up the slide.:biggrin2:

Thanks MikeV

See less See more
#5 ·
Dimple the slide stop .. This has to be done on the 10mm's as they bounce and premature slide lock a simple fix ..

yes it should be done at factory but no other makers do it for some reason the slide stop DW uses bounces here is my 10mm Bobtail

I will say i have not had this problem at all with my RZ-10 or Bobtail

#7 ·
Thanks for the range cover.

I have been looking at the CBOB for a while now but am not a fan of Stainless. I figured down the road I can have it covered. Bud White has helped with me deciding to buy it along with the lack of MIM parts they use. It was a long toss up between 3 1911s for carry but I wanted a bob tail and decent sights.

#8 ·
Gonna try to get down to the range again tomorrow to put a couple hundred more through it and see how it goes.

Questions, Are the factory mags good?
Who makes dependable replacement mags?
What type of SD ammo can anyone with this gun recommend?

Thanks in advance
MikeV

#11 ·
Locking back

Locking open early could be caused by a few things, but all are mostly minor. Could be a burr or a slightly oversized slide stop. Could be the ammo is longer than the gun likes and is hitting the slide stop, this could be a magazine issue too. Could be shooter induced, perhaps your thumb or finger is hitting the lever under recoil. Maybe the plunger spring is weak or the plunger is short or worn and that lets the slide stop pop up under recoil. The dimple will fix that in about 30 seconds. Most are easy fixes. The most expensive would be about $20 or so for a new slide stop from Brownells or something, assuming you couldn't get one free from DW. Otherwise you could try a JFP or JHP round and see if that works, or verify it happens with all of your magazines. Also, let someone else (maybe a lefty?) shoot it to see if it could be you.

FWIW, when I test a 1911 for a problem that's possibly magazine related, I use one of my Wilson Bureaucrat magazines. Those are the best I have ever seen. If it works in a 1911 when I use that mag, I have no problem saying I'm 100% sure the problem isn't mag related.

#13 ·
Sorry, but yes I went to the range last weekend and put another 150 230gr fmj through her and had ZERO issues. I figure if i can do that again she'll be ready to try some def, HP ammo.

Non ramped barrell. any one out there have any suggestion as where to start?

Thanks
MikeV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.