Bersa Thunder 380 FTF problem-help!

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder 380 FTF problem-help! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new Bersa 380 out to the range for the first time today - ran 100 rounds of Winchester "white box" target ammo ...

Thread: Bersa Thunder 380 FTF problem-help!

I took my new Bersa 380 out to the range for the first time today - ran 100 rounds of Winchester "white box" target ammo through it - 95 gr FMJ w/ the flat nose.
    The pistol is pretty accurate when I take my time on my shots- and I like the pointing and handling of the gun. BUT there was a FTF malfunction about every 14th round - it looked like the round was being fed too high into the chamber and got tipped upright so that the nose of the bullet got jammed and the slide closed onto the case of the round. To clear I had to eject the mag and the round would drop free.
    This seemed to happen on the last round of every other mag I went through. What could be the cause? Mag problem since it was the las round typically? Ammo problem- maybe it just doesn't like those flat points? Shooter error (seemed like it happened when I was shooting rapid fire -maybe I'm limp wristing it?)?
    I know I need to go back to the range with it with a wider selection of ammo and try them out -including my planned carry HP's, but just wanted folks' input. Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    I would guess mag problem. Probably it all happened with the same mag.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - almost has to be mag'.

Unless feed lips are at fault - I'd reckon that maybe the follower could be hangin' up a tad ... strip mag down carefully re spring .... and remember spring orientation. Degrease and clean and check follower on its own for any drag - a light smoothing with 600 grit or finer could help.

Other factor could be too - as well as mag' influence ...... new gun, slide travel slightly reduced with strong new spring. Shoot it some more to break in and that could help too. If slide travel increases ever so slightly it might strip off that last round a bit smarter and quick enough so that bullet gets into chamber before it can tip too much.

Thinks ....... every 14th round? Does that mean every other magfull - or are you trying any after market extended mags?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Thinks ....... every 14th round? Does that mean every other magfull - or are you trying any after market extended mags?
    Yes - last round on every other magazine I shot through. I was swapping between 2 mags... Factory 7 round mags. I should have marked which mag was doing it.

I'm hoping it's just that - a mag problem... now that I think about it, one of the mags did seem to take a bit more effort to load up -the rounds didn't seem to load as smoothly as the other mag. I'll take them apart and clean them and also mark them so that next time I can gather some more info.

Assistant Administrator
    I'll take them apart and clean them and also mark them so that next time I can gather some more info.
    Way to go.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links