Kahr polygonal vs. conventional rifling in "P"vs "CW" versions?

This is a discussion on Kahr polygonal vs. conventional rifling in "P"vs "CW" versions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the difference in these 2 barrel types? One poster in another thread mentioned something about shooting lead bullets in the conventional type rifling better... ...

Thread: Kahr polygonal vs. conventional rifling in "P"vs "CW" versions?

What's the difference in these 2 barrel types? One poster in another thread mentioned something about shooting lead bullets in the conventional type rifling better...
    Aren't most pistols out there made with "regular" cunventional rifling -lands and grooves? I'm comparing the CW karhs to the P versions. I only shoot FMJ or HP bullets.

Polygonal rifling has some modest benefits (better gas seal on bullet, easier to clean, potentially better long range accuracy) and some disadvantages (no lead bullets, when you try to sell it people think the barrel is shot out ). For a defensive pistol it doesn't make any difference that I can see.

I am a couple days from buying a CW9. The only significant downside to this model is the inability to easily upgrade the front sight to a night sight if desired. The slide stop pin is also not forged (as it is on the P series) but the design was modified to compensate for this and I have never heard of a slide stop failing on a CW. The difference in price is huge. $350 for the CW9 vs. $520 for P9. For a 33% price cut, I can live without night sights. Besides I have a buddy that is a machinist and he can probably mill a dovetail for me if I ask him.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Glocks, the XDs, most of the Kahrs, & I'm sure I missed a few have polygonal rifling.

I believe the biggest benefit is if you're carrying a sub-compact (short barrel), you won't suffer as much velocity compared to a regular rifle. I think polygonal barrels, particularly Glocks, have been around enough now that people should know what they are if they're buying a gun that normally has one.

Really, I think the biggest downside (Which isn't an issue for me), is that you can shoot lead bullets through. It's probably a bigger deal for someone shooting inexpensive ammo (Or reloading lead, for that matter).

The CW is still a good gun for the money & still gives you a great trigger feel, handling, & narrowness.

CL01
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

umm, I don't think the XD's are polygonal. You CAN shoot lead through an XD.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    umm, I don't think the XD's are polygonal. You CAN shoot lead through an XD.
    OK, I thought XDs were. I'm sure I still missed some makers, but that obviously doesn't change what polygonal rifling is or does.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Xd is not poly rifleing, but the H&k's are
    ...and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw............RUSH
    www.okshooters.com

Links