M&P 45 vs. XD45

M&P 45 vs. XD45

This is a discussion on M&P 45 vs. XD45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read a few reviews about the M&P pistols, but haven't really read anything on the M&P .45. It seems like another plastic fantastic has ...

Thread: M&P 45 vs. XD45

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

M&P 45 vs. XD45

I've read a few reviews about the M&P pistols, but haven't really read anything on the M&P .45. It seems like another plastic fantastic has made it onto the market. When the XD45 came out, many were saying how great of a pistol it was, so I had to buy one myself. I ended up selling it (which I regret.) I was looking at the M&P .45 on gunbroker, but have yet to handle one myself. What does the M&P have that the XD doesn't?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    nothing

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    It's Uglier ?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Yes, I can agree that it is uglier, but I'd like to know how reliable it is. I don't think anyone would care how their gun looks when their life is on the line.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

It's a Smith & Wesson....

I just put one on layaway. I like how it fits the hand. AND the adjustable grip can't be beat....

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I have one and like it a lot. The M&P has a lower bore axis than the Springer. For me it points easier and thanks to the interchangeable grips it feels better in the hand too.

Now I have shot a XD and really liked it. I have one on my list of things to get, but I am glad I got the M&P first.

BTW Buds Guns has some good prices on the M&P's. Got mine there for $399 (M&P9).
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    What does the M&P have that the XD doesn't?
    This month? 2 free mags, or something like that...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Handled the M&P 45 the other day. It is a big gun, but felt great. Too big for me to think about carrying. Would make a great bedside gun though. It did have a slide safety almost like a 1911. My local police force are seriously looking at these to replace their current Berettas.

I have a Xd 9mm 4in and trust it 100%. I look for over a year to find

a carry gun. I rented alot of gun at the range and the XD was the one I

like the most to shoot a carry.And the back strap saftey makes it alot

safer. And you get a life time warrety.

I can't say anything about the M&P .45, but I also can't say enough good things about the XD45C. You might do as well or better for you with the MP, but imo, you absolutely can't go wrong with the XD45.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

What purpose will it serve? If you are looking for something to carry, the M&P45 might be rather large like slimjim mentioned. Beyond that, both are great guns. I have the M&P9 fullsize and compact as well as a XD9SC. I like them all but for me, the M&P just feels better in my hand and shoots more naturally.

If you are looking for something to carry, might I recommend the XD45C. It is liked by many members here and if I had the means, I'd have one too.

I was just curious as to the pros and cons of the M&P, and how it compares to the XD45 in reliability, and features. As a former XD45 owner, I'm kinda wondering about the competition, but I guess there's not much the M&P has to offer over the XD besides interchangeable backstraps. It's a gun I may consider in the future. Thanks for the info guys!

Sponsored Links