Smith 696

This is a discussion on Smith 696 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by The Tourist I plink with the .45 ACP. I guard my home with a .40 SW. I wouldn't plink with either and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith 696

Cool It's all about the load

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    I plink with the .45 ACP. I guard my home with a .40 SW.
    I wouldn't plink with either and I guard my home with both. I think at this stage of development, it's no longer about the round or the platform, but rather a matter of bullet configuration and accuracy. A cranio-ocular strike with a substandard round like a 158gr round nose lead in .38sp is going to prove TERMINAL (even though cops call this round the "widowmaker") before a 40 or 45 that hits someplace like a hand or leg. Similarly, a 38 load like the one above where the strike occurs in the chest will be less effective that a 38sp load in the same place where the configuration is a JHP.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    ExSoldier,

I agree with most of your assessment--in some circumstances.

Now granted, I try to make those 'circumstances' come to pass in my home. For example, I have good doors and windows to give me time to ensconce myself, wife and pets. I have reloads available. And, like always, I have measured distances around my home to figure out the best corridors of fire--even in places where there is just wall board and a shot can be taken when the BG cannot see me.

But that's if all goes right, and you are at home.

Getting caught on the street is another matter. First, you let down your situational awareness and you're not in 'condition yellow.' The guy(s) are too close. You might not be prepared for a number of BGs. You might not have a reload. There might not have a fire hydrant or a solid engine block to hide behind.

My wife and I always practice backing up and out. We once took a vacation both carrying 5-shoot SW 'hammerless' revolvers with HKS speed loaders filled with the same replacement load. (My ammo fit her gun, etc.)

We were on vacation in historical places in the USA. There is always security in those areas, and the idea was to just get out of the area and let the pros take over.

While Euc and I are friends, I do tease him about his dependence on revolvers. The police force used them successfully for years. They also used horses, perhaps now used only for border patrol. Time moves on. Now revolvers are too weak, or loaded too hot, have limited ammo supply, and not as fast to reload.

I also believe in shot placement, and many professional LEOs have used snubs successfully against great odds. I'm not one of them. I need the advantage of modern ammunition, simpler reloads and (at my age) more well-defined sights. None of the personal defense guns in my home are revolvers, and none of my automatics are chambered for loads in .355 of an inch.

As I stated, I tried lots of reloads and combinations of the .355 bullet over a good span of time. I got rid of the guns as a main-line defense, and scrapped the idea. Even my 'mouse gun' is loaded with Gold Dots and has a spare magazine nearby.

I do not pretend to be the last word. Security is a personal matter. My wife's gun is a .44 SPL Charter Arms Bulldog loaded with Silver Tips. She has confidence in the gun and the load. YMMV.

Wonder if you're interested in this type of handgun 3in round butt fixed sight Smith 629 44 mag Classic Carry.. Might be worth looking into
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    While Euc and I are friends, I do tease him about his dependence on revolvers. The police force used them successfully for years. They also used horses, perhaps now used only for border patrol. Time moves on. Now revolvers are too weak, or loaded too hot, have limited ammo supply, and not as fast to reload.

I also believe in shot placement
    I love it when you genuinely contradict yourself Tourist.

You know I was thinking today of what other handguns I may want to get sometime and then call it good. I do fancy something that's between my .38 mousegun and my huge honkin' .44.

I mused over the lovely thought of a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum with a 3" barrel. It would be easy to shoot and the perfect size.

But then I corrugated my brow as I considered my ammunition choices.

I can either carry .38 Special, which is fine for my little bitty pocket gun, or .357 Magnum, a great caliber for everyday use but not something I'd want to use for carry ammunition for various reasons.

I reasoned, I need something in between... or something that's just bigger.

Like a 9x19. Or a .45.

But then I realize the importance of shot placement. And it goes back in a circle.

Where is the Gaston Glock of revolvers?

No, Euc, I mean it. I intend to carry enough gun, and I have real concerns about guns in the calibre of .355 of an inch.

Sometimes you cannot carry the gun you want, and you have to carry the gun that fit those concerns. Ask Betty to post pics of my daily planner and my mouse gun. Sometimes a shirt and tie are required.

But let's face it, you have to get really close. I don't want to do that. I take the mouse gun and search for the nearest exit.

I admire Rfurtkamp's commitment to face the action. I fell and broke my wrist. I fell and broke my hand. My mind wandered in traffic for a 1/10th of a second and I broke my neck in five places.

I'm backing up, fast.

Tourist I swear you're one of the voices in my head sometimes. I have been considering a relatively inexpensive piece of Tupperware in a large bore caliber as a kind of "throw away" gun. I honestly view my 642 the same way.

you're one of the voices in my head
    No, that's just experience and age talking and asking yourself if there aren't some other answers and consequences for actions. I always considered your point of view, along with the disagreements, the sign of maturity and ethics.

I have voices in my head, as well. However, when I say that, it's back to Doctor Hidalgo's Home for the Chronically Bewildered and Taxidery School.

The debate we're having is called "The high speed needle or the slow speed brick." That debate goes back at least 40 years, and it has lined the pockets of more gun writers than we know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links