.22 Revolvers

This is a discussion on .22 Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My lovely girlfriend would like to carry a small .22 revolver. She does not do well with a loud bang. So the .22 is the ...

Thread: .22 Revolvers

.22 Revolvers

My lovely girlfriend would like to carry a small .22 revolver. She does not do well with a loud bang. So the .22 is the only option. Does anyone have any suggestions for a .22 revolver. Please make it as small as possible.

2. Remove Ads

the smith 317 is small and lightweight

As small as possible would be: http://www.naaminis.com/short.html
    They also have some slightly larger one. Not that I'd recommend one of them as a primary carry piece.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Ruger Bearcat is about the size of a kid's cap gun. Great gun, if she can handle single action.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    There is small and there is small.

North American Arms makes some really small revolvers.
    http://www.naaminis.com/

You might try and get her to carry something with a little more bang. Maybe a Kel-Tec. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with only 5 rounds of 22. Better than nothing, but not by much. You could throw a NA pistol at the BG when it's empty, but it's not big enough to do any damage.

Maybe you could get her to try a 38 airweight. She may get used to the bang. If not then a 22 is a great place to start.

IMHO

EDIT:

I see after posting that I have once again taken too long to post and have been beaten to the punch.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

S & W makes a very nice (and extremely light) .22 revolver with enough capacity (8 rounds) to get someone's attention. It weighs in at around 12 ounces and fits in the smallest of purses. It is available as a Model 317 (as mentioned above) as well as a Lady Smith model that carries a bit lighter action spring.

The Smith is no match size wise for the Keltec P3AT, though. In my state (as probably in yours) you must qualify with an auto to be able to carry an auto, but having qualified with an auto you may carry any action. If you qualify with a revolver you are limited to using a revolver. The Keltec is about an ounce lighter (unloaded) than the Smith .22, but can only be loaded with a total of 7 rounds (without a mag extension) compared to the Smith's 8 rounds. The true advantage, IMHO, is when comparing physical size of the two - The Keltec is so much smaller and more easily concealed than the revolver.

But as in most things, there are down side's to consider. The Keltec is a locked breech design (a good thing) and double action (modified striker action?) only and probably will require a tad more training than the revolver - especially due to the almost nonexistent sights on the P3AT compared to the Smith. The Smith can be fired from a cocked condition and the trigger is very smooth and crisp - the double action trigger on my Smith is, well, just no good.

Quote Originally Posted by zukinoobi View Post
    In my state (as probably in yours) you must qualify with an auto to be able to carry an auto, but having qualified with an auto you may carry any action. If you qualify with a revolver you are limited to using a revolver.

I'm Surprised some states still bother with this .. Here it is run what ever you feel like doesn't matter what you shot the course with as long as it wasn't a 22

Another vote for the 317. The NAAs are nice revolvers, but single action and half the barrel length. Reloading much easier on the smith as well.

What about a .38 Special snub loaded with target wadcutters? They surely wouldn't make any more noise than a .22 and would be more effective.

If size is an issue, I'm talking about the hole in the end of the barrel and comparing the size difference between 38 and 22 rounds without actually shooting different guns then some experimenting is in order. Visual perception gives one preconceived notions on sound and recoil.

Make sure good quality properly fitted hearing protection is worn. Double up with plugs and muffs if need be. Shooting mild loads in the 38, as mentioned, is also a must.

What about something in .22mag? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31348. These are also made in .22lr and .17hmr. I would say a .22mag, just b/c the recoil and "loudness", are probally not much more and you get a more potent cartrige, with an 8 shot capcity.

ckd
    Since you're locked into a 22lr, another vote for the 317. I would stay away from 22lr SAs for two reasons, most SAs finicky about ammo and clearing jams takes practice and routinely having a spare magazine handy - lets say she has an FTF, with the revolver just pull the trigger again. Large choice of j-frame holsters available for the 317; incredibly light. I like Stingers for your purpose, but others may have better thoughts.

If she could handle a j-frame in 38 it would be a better defense choice, and the louder bang screams "shots fired", a 22lr does not.

VIP Member
    Unless you use cb's a .22 revolver will be loud and the smaller the louder.

I think the best thing to do is start her off with a nice .22 revolver, take her to the range, and let her get to the point where she really enjoys shooting. Then introduce her to a medium weight .38 revolver with wadcutters. A 2" snub airweight is not a gun for a beginner. Airweight recoil is pretty stout, even with target loads, and they are harder to shoot accurately.

I'd sit down with your girlfriend and really ask her if she has the mindset necessary to carry a firearm, though. I doubt that the noise of a firearm would be an issue to someone who is serious about carrying a weapon with which to protect themselves and their loved ones. ALL firearms are loud, even .22's.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Lead Moderator
    I agree with Metro 40. A NAA revo (derringer) is loud, less accurate and hard to hold due to recoil. It isn't really punishing, just such a small package.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links