Help! Looking to get a Snubbie - Page 2

Help! Looking to get a Snubbie

This is a discussion on Help! Looking to get a Snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pocket carry is a great option. I carry a S&W642CT everyday during warmer month. The holster of choice is a Robert Mika pocket holster. They ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pocket carry is a great option. I carry a S&W642CT everyday during warmer month. The holster of choice is a Robert Mika pocket holster. They are cheap and very well made. Do a web search for him.

CT = Crimson Trace Lasergrips are a great option but costly.
    I have seen the S&W642CT for $525.00 ( 3 Months Ago) now they seem to have gone up. As far as ammo you will not find a better ammo than Speer Gold Dot .38 for a short barrel .

Hope this helps

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    To answer the question about the 357 340PD vs the 442. Its pretty simple, the 340PD cost twice as much and the benifits of a 357 Mag out of a 1.7"ish barrel is minimal and the punishment is excesive when attempting to qualify with it.

The difference between the 642 and 442 is a few oz's and some more money. The 642 is stainless where the 442 is an airweight.

For my money, I'd go 442. (Oh Taurus makes decent weapons, but I'd still find that S&W are not much more expensive and better quality.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

442 and 642 both aluminum frame

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    The difference between the 642 and 442 is a few oz's and some more money. The 642 is stainless where the 442 is an airweight.
    Actually, the 442 and the 642 both have an aluminum frame and weigh the same amount. The only difference is the finish - the 442 is black and the 642 is light colored, like stainless steel. I have a 642, and it weighs 15 ounces empty.

VIP Member
    If it is no guns it is no guns period

Lexington... I'm not going to try and change your mind... Just going to give my opinion on Ruger SP-101's. I have never shot J fram Smiths so I can't compare.

But I have had two SP-101's for about 18 years. I love them. Ruger builds tough revolvers! They don't fail, as far as I'm concerned! While they are all stainless, they weigh a bit more, but in my opinion when you go for it, you know you have a gun in your hand and you know it's a lifesaver! If I'm in a fight and it gets slammed hard on the pavement, I don't feel the cylinder is going to fly open or fail to cycle.

They are small. 5 shots so I don't think they are any wider than a J frame for any practical purpose including concealment. My wife carries hers .38 spl, DAO with bobbed hammer and mine is .357, DAO with bobbed hammer. While I usually shoot .38 spl +P's, same as my wife, the factory rubber grips are excellent and shooting the magnum loads is not hard or uncomfortable as far as I'm concerned, but I still shoot the .38 spl loads for defense.

I can carry it in a pants pocket without a pocket holster and not notice a print that the sheep will really spot. I am going to get a pocket holster anyways someday.

I carried it as a BUG for years but am now using an XD for BUG now so I don't carry it much these days but I'll never get rid of the SP-101's.

This is just my opinion and YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I suggest something like a SW 638 with the "bodyguard" style hammer. The exposed part of the hammer is a little no-snag nubbin, so you can shoot SA if you want to cock the hammer or straight DA just like a 642. I like being able to choose. The 638 will handle up to 38+P. My wife has one with Crimson Trace grips and it's a sweet little piece, every once in a while I get to shoot it.

I lke the little S&W j frames...my wife has the 637...
    I have considered trimming down the hammer, but it really isn't carried in a pocket...so not a real problem.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stay armed...stay safe!
    Heh... that is certainly the overall goal here!
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

VIP Member
    I really like my S&W 640 because I can shoot full .357 rounds if I choose to. Do I practice wih .357's? Hardly! I practice with .38's!

But that baby has 125gr JHP's in it for SD!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My 24/7 gun

S&W 442
    Speer 135 gr. GDHP
    Kramer pocket holster
    Desantis Apache ankle holster
    Bianchi Speed Strips
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Here in hot-n-muggy south Florida my summer heat is a S&W M642 in a Mika pocket holster with one (usually) HKS speedloader in the other pocket. When it gets "cooler" I'll start wearing my Sig again.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have owned several snubbies over the last 30 years or so. The one I own now is a S&W Model 36. I prefer the steel frame to any lighter weight, and would not want a .357 magnum. I shoot the steel frame guns much more accurately, with much better control for a follow up, and use JHP +P ammo without any problems. If you find you can shoot a light weight small revolver accurately, enjoy it...the steel frame is my choice based on my experience with several of each.
    FWIW, I have never had a problem carrying a hammer gun in my pocket, and I always carry a loaded speedloader as well.

If you practice, you will find the snubbies are a lot more accurate than you would believe. Learning to shoot one well will make you a better shot overall.

Good luck.

mark

JPP
    I LOVE my newer model S&W 60 (.38/.357)
    I have been carrying it more than either of my Sigs lately.
    Not too bad with .357 loads and perfect with .38 +P's.

JP
    Sig P239
    Sig P238
    Glock 17
    Glock 36
    S&W 60
    WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

Our band likes the S & W 642 and FOX pepper spray.
    -Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links