Help! Looking to get a Snubbie

This is a discussion on Help! Looking to get a Snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay guys, here's the deal. I had what I would call an epiphany today as I was getting ready to head into town to our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Looking to get a Snubbie

Help! Looking to get a Snubbie

Okay guys, here's the deal. I had what I would call an epiphany today as I was getting ready to head into town to our annual Arts Festival.

I normally carry a full-size M&P9, which I can conceal pretty well in a C-TAC. I know it does print sometimes though when I'm bending or turning certain ways. This is fine and dandy usually though, because here in PA, open carry is legal. The problem today was the fact that part of the Arts Festival is located on the local University's property. This presents a problem because of the University's "victim zone" policy. The University is not state-owned and thus is private property. Because I am a student at the University, if I am caught with a firearm on their property, I could be expelled (which I definitely don't want to happen).

So, given this dilemma and my large carry gun, I made the tough decision to only go in with my Gerber folder. This is the point when I realized that for times like this, a small snubbie would be perfect, since I could throw it in a cargo pocket (with a pocket holster) and be good-to-go without a single worry of printing (and feel not so "sheepish").

Now I am in the market for a snubbie to fill this need. I want something that is small and light, while still being comfortable to shoot. I don't think I want anything larger than .357 (which may be ideal so I can practice with .38 special and still have the .357 option). Should I go DAO or DA/SA? Normal hammer, hammerless, or shrouded hammer?

I am brand new to the revolver world so I'm looking for all of the tips/advice/suggestions you guys and girls can give me!
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

2. Remove Ads

can't go wrong with a smith&wesson; i'm thinking about picking one up myself -------> http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15703

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I highly recommend a Smith & Wesson J frame. I personally have a Model 36 (all steel) and have carried it as an back up for almost 15 years, however if buying today, I'll give you the same advice I just gave a really good friend (whos in the police acadamy right now) that the S&W 442 is about the best out there. The 357 snubbies are just to much of a handfull when shooting. So of all the snubbies out there, the one and only one I'd choose is the afore mentioned 442 (saw them at gun show today and at stores for about $360).

Ohh I know you didnt ask but I'll throw this out. I've used the same ankle rig for the same 15 years and its still going strong. Its a "Renegade" and good luck finding them, LOL, their hard to come by but if you do, they'll last you as it has me (15 years of daily street work).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Moderator
    Since S&W has been covered I'll mention Taurus 605 and 650. They will not hold their value as well as a Smith but they are solid guns.

A little bigger and you can go with a Ruger SP 101 which might be the best for the money.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    The 357 snubbies are just to much of a handfull when shooting. So of all the snubbies out there, the one and only one I'd choose is the afore mentioned 442
    Couple questions from this:

1. Do other people out there agree that .357mag is too much to handle effectively in a snubbie?

2. What is the difference between a 442 and, say, a 642?
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Since S&W has been covered I'll mention Taurus 605 and 650. They will not hold their value as well as a Smith but they are solid guns.

A little bigger and you can go with a Ruger SP 101 which might be the best for the money.
    I do like the 605 and 650. My mind tells me the 650 would be better due to the lack of a hammer to get snagged. Is this a valid concern when considering pocket carry?

Does anyone know if there is any appreciable difference in weight/size between the SP101 and other 2" snubs?
    ~Lex

Senior Moderator
    A concealed hammer is much better for pocketcarry. I place my thumb over the hammer of my 605 when I draw so it doesn't snag.

I carry 38spl +P in my 605. I would still suggest to get a 357 becuase you can shoot 38's or 357's and there is not much of a price difference.

You will have to compare on the websites but I am pretty sure the SP101 is heavier and wider.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

just my $0.02... go with the S&W442 or 642. First of all a snubbie is not for high capacity or super accuracy or super knock-down power. I had an SP101 that was my primary carry with .357 until I bought a .45. The SP101 was too heavy for pocket carry (but great for shooting .357), so I found a j-frame to replace it. The j-frame is a great pocket carry (light and small), and i use it when i'm too lazy or dressed not to carry the Sig P220.

Get a j-frame and used .38 or .38+P. don't worry about .357 in a small package. practice with. 38 and carry .38. a good pocket or ankle holster will work with a j-frame. good luck.

I've owned a S&W 442 Airwieght for years, its great, I think the hammerless is the way to go for concealed carry. 442 steel, 642 stainless, barrel and cylinder; both with lightwieght alloy frame options.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    personally, for the money, I don't think you can beat the S&W Airweight 637. Yep, it has an exposed hammer, but it CAN be fired single action as well as double action. Small, light package that can handle +P's as well as standard .38 spcl.

If you want something even smaller and lighter, the Kel-Tec has a line of DA pistols that are much easier to conceal than even the J frame. I have, or have had all the KT pistols (except the PLR16), and currently am in love with the PF9. Still, the S&W 637 fills the bill for a small frame revolver in my opinion.

Okay, so I think I've narrowed my choices down to either a Taurus 650 or a S&W 442. I think I'm going to be going with .38spl +P.

Bud's gun shop has the 442 for $361.12, and the 650 for $297.85. Are these good prices?

Also, what ammo do you guys normally carry? I've been looking at the 135gr .38spl +P Gold Dots that Speer makes specifically for snubs.
    ~Lex

I'd go with the 442 over the Taurus in part because of Smith & Wesson's customer service. A lot of people believe that S&W customer service is the standard by which all gun manufacturers should be judged. I, myself, am picking up an M&P 340.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any appreciable difference in weight/size between the SP101 and other 2" snubs?
    When I need to compare guns I go to Genitron.com - Handgun Reference Resource and use the Handgun Database. I click on the Pop-Up Detail for all the guns I want to compare and then show them side by side.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Go with the 442, good choice on the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    When I need to compare guns I go to Genitron.com - Handgun Reference Resource and use the Handgun Database. I click on the Pop-Up Detail for all the guns I want to compare and then show them side by side.
    Wow!! Thanks a bunch for that link. After comparing the two snubs side-by-side, I'm sold on the 442. It's a little bit shorter overall and weighs nearly 10 ounces less than the 650.

Now I just gotta find one at a good price...
    ~Lex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links