Walther PPK

This is a discussion on Walther PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many James Bond types out there. Mine a Walther PPK/S .380 manufactured under the Interarms agreement, purchased over 20 yrs ago and still running ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK

Walther PPK

How many James Bond types out there. Mine a Walther PPK/S .380 manufactured under the Interarms agreement, purchased over 20 yrs ago and still running strong.

2. Remove Ads

I've got a .380 PPK (Walther/S&W) sitting in layaway now. Trying to decide if I want the .32 PPK or .380 PPK/s next .... yep, I'm going to try to get all four. I can't decide if I wanna be a double naught spy or a fry cook.

I've always liked the lines of the Walther PP series and finally found one sitting in my dealer's case so I had to jump on it.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I have an Interarms .380 PPK/S which serves as one of my two primaries in the summer (wardrobe dictates) and as a potential BUG the remainder of the year.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If I was gonna get a PPK, I'd get one of the new S&W ones because of the extra tang on the back to prevent the infamous slid cuts.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have one also

I've had a PPK for about 10 years, and it is a nice little gun that has never failed to fire or eject. It is only about 0.80 inches thick and hides easily, but the .380 caliber is a little on the weak side. The serial number on mine, an Interarms gun, ends in 007 by coincidence.

Hopefully, you've shot one, and know what you're in for. I think they're beautiful guns, but a friend's PPK/s is the only gun to ever bite me. After shooting his, I still like the looks of them, but I have no desire to have one.

Good luck in your purchase. I hope you have fun with it.

Cheers,
    Herk

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Fun to own if you are a bit of a collector...but I hated shooting mine and for carry, a Kahr PM9 is about the same size, lighter, is a 9mm, and kicks less...YMMV

The extended grip tang on the Smith made PPK's helps with slide bite and it's pretty easy to dehorn stainless if it needs it. I'm sure the Kahrs are good guns but I don't buy guns strictly based on size and weight. The Walthers are classic, old school beauty.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    The extended grip tang on the Smith made PPK's helps with slide bite....
    Yes, indeed it does. If, however, one has small hands as I do, the slide bite isn't an issue even on Interarms/German-made Walthers, at least in my experience. I bought my Interarms Walther from a friend who is tall and has very large hands...he was willing to sell it because his hands were bitten by the slide--two nice, neat, painful cuts. I've never had a problem with it.

VIP Member
    I have a PPK/S by S&W, I bought it new a couple of months ago. I had read reviews about feeding/ejection problems but have never encountered any problems with mine, and I've fired a mix of ammo through it. I use it as a ccw sometimes, though I select differently depending on the weather, clothing and where I'm going. The PPK's thinness really helps it disappear. I'm thinking about buying a Colt Defender pretty soon to add to the mix.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    If, however, one has small hands as I do, the slide bite isn't an issue even on Interarms/German-made Walthers, at least in my experience.
    Hmmm. I wear a size 9 glove and got bit. Like I said, it's the only gun that's happened with. I wish it weren't so.

I have a .32 acp Walther PP, (WWII dead german officer edition!)

Brought back from war. It is sweet! I wish it had Nazi markings to increase the value but it is a nice family heirloom none the less.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have a .32 acp Walther PP, (WWII dead german officer edition!)

Brought back from war. It is sweet! I wish it had Nazi markings to increase the value but it is a nice family heirloom none the less.

Wow! Was it brought back by family or something you bought later?
    Jack

Walther slide bite

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I think they're beautiful guns, but a friend's PPK/s is the only gun to ever bite me. After shooting his, I still like the looks of them, but I have no desire to have one.
    The issue of slide bite with Walther PPKs is a common concern. It seems that a certain percentage of shooters will have a problem with this, depending upon the shape of their hands and how they hold the gun. I have been fortunate in that my PPK has never done this to me, and the bottom edge of the slide passes about 1/4 inch above the top of my hand when I am shooting the gun.

Perhaps the Walther company designed the gun to only bite the hand of non Germans. I am half German on my father's side and this may be what saves me from the slide. I notice that my H&Ks and Sigs also are nice to me.

Administrator

pogo2

"Perhaps the Walther company designed the gun to only bite the hand of non Germans."
    "I am half German on my father's side and this may be what saves me from the slide."

Then only one side of the slide should bite you...or your wounds should only be half as deep.

Getting Walther bit. Never was a problem for me.
    The slide passes Real Close over the top of my hand.
    A Very Tight grip should keep you from getting bit.
    You could also "break" any sharp edges on the rear of the slide and rear rails and then the slide should not bite you even if it does ride over your hand.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links