Everyone should have one...

This is a discussion on Everyone should have one... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We haven't done this yet. What is a firing platform you think everyone should own and why? I say first a double action .357 Magnum ...

Thread: Everyone should have one...

We haven't done this yet.

What is a firing platform you think everyone should own and why?

I say first a double action .357 Magnum revolver by any real gun company with a 3" or 4" barrel.

Why? It's a classic. If I could only have one type of handgun this would be it. It's chambered in a caliber that can handle any need most people have, it gives you options, it is easy to live with, and it's big enough to shoot easily and still concealable if need be.

Then I say second a double stack 9x19 DA/SA semiautomatic service size pistol by any real gun company.

Why? It's an important manual of arms to know. Practice with it and you should know how to work pretty much any semiautomatic pistol that our police and military might use. Why is it important for a civilian to know a military manual of arms? Well you want to be prepared don't you? Also 9mm catridges are easy to shoot and cheap and plentiful.

Third... I'm not sure what would be third. What do you guys think should be on this list?

Ya Forgot a 22

Assistant Administrator
    I go with that Euc - but my emphasis is mostly on a broad useage and so familiarity with many examples of the major platforms. Revos come out easiest as so little changes between variants. Agreed, the .357 is about the most obvious choice.

Semi's - different matter. I reckon skills with basic 1911 platform are a must - that covers the S/A deal - then D/A-S/A platforms - SIG, SW99, P95 etc ...... and finally DAO.

Much of this down to ''controls'' - where they are and what they do. I reckon JMB's controls will usually be the best at coming to hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    What is a firing platform you think everyone should own and why?
    Pump 12GA shotgun. Reason, unbeatable short range stopping power in a rock solid/simple platform.

Ruger 10/22....22lr perfection.

Now for handguns, that's a bit more tricky. I have very little use for any revolver of a size greater than my j-frame .38. I've had lots of bigger revolvers and have sold them all with only a couple regrets. Had a sweet stainless Ruger Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel, .357 Mag. It was class. Truth be told I didn't really have much use for it though. I could just as easy carry my easier to shoot Glock 19 with 15+1 rounds of 9mm +p compared to only 6 for the Speed Six. Glock 19 reloads 2.5x as much twice as fast, the round gun just can't keep up. Also had a S&W M10 4" .38 Special marked RHKP. Had a dark parkerizing and was just plain simple. Probably the perfect, loaded it, stash it and forget it handgun....and know you can count on it when you need it. Sold for what I had in it, about $150

Truth be told, if you are going to choose an everyman's platform, it's probably a 6 shot mid-frame .357. Far from my first choice but simple enough about every skill level can be reasonable proficient with it. But one handgun everyone should own...there isn't one.

Monty

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Either a 12 guage pump or modern semi auto shotgun, just because they are so damn reliable, versitile and effective. A .22 pistol and rifle for fun and practice. A reasonably accurate centerfire rifle with a good trigger between .223 and 30-06, because you never know when you might need to reach out past shotgun range. A good quality full sized handgun in either a .357 mag revolver or .45 1911. And for those of us who can, a concealed carry handgun that you can realistically carry all the time.

Sadly, I don't have all of the above yet...

I have to answer this question as a youth handgun instructor pretty regularly since I'm expected to provide at least a basic amount of information on the types and varieties of guns out there.

- DA revolver of any reasonable caliber. 22, 38, 357, doesn't really matter.
    - Single action automatic. I'm partial to the BHP for the older kids and of all things my 9x19 Tokarev for the younger because of the small grip size. 1911 doesn't even get mentioned or pulled out until they've hit mid-teens both for recoil and added complexity.
    - 22 automatic of some type to build skills. I used to say 22 revolver, but the difficulties extracting cases and a lack of good contemporary new models available says autoloader is oging to win out.
    - Glock 17, just to illustrate that not every pistol is what they're used to seeing. No safety, looks radically different to anything that the average parent seems to own.
    - Something bizarre. Webley or another top-break, bolt action pistol, M11, whatever - just to show that pistols are a heck of a lot more diverse than a cursory examination would show.

I'd wager any single gun on this list would do, but I'm teaching 8-18 and need a variety.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Tough Question

Euc, that's an unfair question. I can make a good argument for each and every weapon in my possession, regardless of platform. In fact, that's how I justify the "absolute need" for buying each new gun . But, if it ever came down to being able to have only one gun I would have to pick a Smith model 17 (or model 18). The reasons are that even though it's a 22 cal, it can be used for almost any purpose, from hunting to protection, and they're fun to shoot. Ammo is plentyful, cheap and effective. I just cannot imagine not having at least one 22 revolver around.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I say a Mars/Fairfax pistol.

If you can shoot that, you can figure out how to shoot anything.

VIP Member
    A Lemat. It's a pistol and a shotgun on one platform.

That and it's just cool.

-Scott-

---

1911, sa/da semiauto, wheelguns and did I mention 1911?

Regards
    'I rather have it but don't need it, than not have it when I need it'
    Duck Dodgers - If he's our future, we're history

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I agree with the .357 wheelie for a gotta have.
    After that a 1911 S/A.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Sponsored Links