Smith 686

This is a discussion on Smith 686 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you carry a medium frame revolver? I really want a 686, seems kinda big to carry though....

Thread: Smith 686

Smith 686

Do you carry a medium frame revolver? I really want a 686, seems kinda big to carry though.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Model 66 is my limit

I presume you are talking about the model 686 snubby, with the 2.5 inch barrel. I have seen these, and they are pretty hefty with a weight of maybe 36 ounces.

I have carried my model 66 snubby, which weighs 32 ounces and is a little smaller than the 686. It conceals quite well because of its shape in the right holster. I guess the 686 wouldn't be too much bigger - maybe 10% larger or so. You could certainly carry it concealed with the right holster and belt. And it should handle the hottest .357 magnum ammo with relative ease, I think.

Go for it.

Is IS big to carry, especially in Texas. It would only really be concealable ( a requirement in Texas) with a shoulder holster and a fairly rroomy/bulky cover garment.

I think I would opt for something else (well, I DO opt for something else!)

It's one of the finest revolvers there is though.

The 686 is an "L" Frame, I carry an "N" Frame off-duty, which is a bit larger.

It can be concealed quite nicely with a good belt/holster combination wearing a one size too large Polo Shirt. I went to Sam's Club today wearing Cargo Shorts, the above mentioned Polo Shirt and my 4" N-Frame Revolver. No issues with "printing" and such and had a most forgettable trip.

I buy my pants 1"-2" larger in the waist to accomodate the thickness of the Revolver and off-duty wear "over-sized" shirts. Hawaiian shirts also hide my roscoe well.

The 686 can be concealed very effectively, even in Texas weather. I am in the desert southwest and like I said, I conceal my 4" N-Frame with no trouble. I suggest a 3"-4" Barrel no matter what caliber. If you are hiding it IWB the extra barrel legnth works to "stabilize" the weapon and is hidden from view by your pants.

Good luck, Biker

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

I agree with Biker RN and make every effort to accomodate a larger handgun whenever I possibly can. I buy pants the next size up in the waist and wear a sturdy belt for IWC. One can easily and securely tote a 4-inch medium or large framed revolver or a full-sized 1911. The only problem I have is growing into that next size up.

What about the weight?

I've owned a 4" 686 for 20 years. It is a great gun, one of the best ever made. I bought it for home defense in a state where I cannot carry.

I recently moved to a state where I can carry and bought an XD9SC. It weighs half of what the 686 weighs. If you carry all day it is a huge difference. The XD is also easier to conceal (not that I couldn't hide the 686). JMHO.

Ken

I find the weight of my N-Frame "comforting".

Biker

I also Carry a N frame sometimes .. Good holster good belt nothing to it

As to weight carry a week or 2 and you won't notice a difference with guess what a Good holster and Good belt .. I carry a 1911 everyday a Steel one and only notice it when i don't carry it like tonight as i sit here and type this its next to me but not in a holster when i get up and move i will notice the weight isn't there

I also find the Weight reassuring

Links