XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26 - Page 2

XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26

This is a discussion on XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey And the need to depend on all those extra safeties is... ? The newer GLOCKs have a chamber loaded indicator. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    And the need to depend on all those extra safeties is... ?

The newer GLOCKs have a chamber loaded indicator.

I have an 11-year-old GLOCK that has never had a negligent discharge. And no grip safety or cocking indicator to help out!! Imagine!

I have to ask, really... what is it that you would do with a gun that has a cocking indicator that you'd be afraid to do with a gun that lacks it? Likewise the grip safety?

I just don't understand why these features make the difference for some people. I don't want to be unfair, but what springs immediately to mind is the notion that anyone who wants to have those features plans to depend on them; and anyone who is depending on "safeties" for gun safety is an accident looking to happen.

Just one man's opinion. (One man who is confident that plenty of other men share his opinion, actually.)
    I can't say I need the cocking indicator, because of the loaded chamber indicator. If theres a round in the pipe, the thing is cocked. If it were a double action, I wouldn't feel the need for the grip safety. But since my gun is always cocked, I feel a bit better that it is there. It takes less to forced to pull my trigger than yours. Also, because it is always cocked there is some possibility that after wear something could slip with a good bump and send the striker down memory lane. It's never happened yet to my knowledge, but as some will be quick to point out, the XD hasn't been around forever.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i like the Glock it fits me better and I like the trigger. I thought the trigger on the Xd was to soft, it just didn't feel right for me.

But you will be the one lugging this thing around so try them both.

I had a thread entitled 'G26 vs XD9SC vs M&P9C' that has now been lost in the quicksand of older threads.

IIRC, XD won, Glock came second, M&P had the most enthusiastic owners but not as many.

I got the XD9 SC as it shot the best for me, it is on a par with my Glock 34, which is extremely comforting for a carry gun.

I came very close to buying an XD at one point, going so far as to put it on layaway and make a few payments before swapping it out for something else. It felt great in my hand and the trigger was nice but it wasn't quite the perfect gun I was looking for.

I've had a Glock 19 for about three weeks now and I'm really happy with it: Shoots and carries well, plenty of aftermarket support and spare parts, nice low bore axis, etc..

If I were to walk into a gunshop today and buy a polymer 9 it'd be a tough choice between the Glock 19 and the S&W M&P 9c - I really like the new Smiths and I think, over time, they're going to take a sizeable chunk of the polymer market share.

In the end, all three are incredibly good guns and any of them would serve you well provided they feel right to you. Handle all of them, shoot them if possible and buy whichever suits your taste and needs best. Then find which defensive loads perform best in that particular gun and you're golden.... then comes the fun of deciding on belts and holsters!
    Jack

+1 for the XD9SC for all the reasons mentioned before. I have one and love it.

Nothing wrong with a Glock, of course. Shoot them both and see what feels good to you.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

+2 on XD9mmSC, I've got one too and love it. Easy to conceal and love the high cap 16rd+1 mag.
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

I own a Glock 26. For me, the only difference I cared about was the rail on the XD. Then I realized that I do not need to put lights or lasers on a subcompact. I ended up going with the Glock because of the amount of after market parts, just look on Ebay and you will see what I mean.

They both have loaded chamber indicators and trigger safeties, and I see no need for the cocked indicator on the XD.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

agree

I have an 11-year-old GLOCK that has never had a negligent discharge. And no grip safety or cocking indicator to help out!! Imagine!

I have to ask, really... what is it that you would do with a gun that has a cocking indicator that you'd be afraid to do with a gun that lacks it? Likewise the grip safety?

I just don't understand why these features make the difference for some people. I don't want to be unfair, but what springs immediately to mind is the notion that anyone who wants to have those features plans to depend on them; and anyone who is depending on "safeties" for gun safety is an accident looking to happen.

Just one man's opinion. (One man who is confident that plenty of other men share his opinion, actually.)

I can't agree with you more. I believe the XD is a gimmick that attracts newer shooters or occasional shooters. I think its features are silly, but if it makes someone comfortable that doesn't have tons of shooting experience...I guess it is worth it. People won't carry a gun that makes them nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I can't say I need the cocking indicator, because of the loaded chamber indicator. If theres a round in the pipe, the thing is cocked. If it were a double action, I wouldn't feel the need for the grip safety. But since my gun is always cocked, I feel a bit better that it is there. It takes less to forced to pull my trigger than yours. Also, because it is always cocked there is some possibility that after wear something could slip with a good bump and send the striker down memory lane. It's never happened yet to my knowledge, but as some will be quick to point out, the XD hasn't been around forever.
    Isnt the firing pin safety suppposed to protect memory lane no matter what?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, I certainly wouldn't say an XD's junk, but I would prefer the Glock.

In fact, if you're thinking about the 26, check out a 19. For most hands, the 19's better because you can get a full grip on it. If you need to put a finger extension on the 26, than why not get the 19?

Having said that, if you're in a state that limits your guns capacity to 10+1 rounds, then I would say get the little one.

Probably the best thing for you to do is try both of them (& maybe the S&W M&P), & see/feel which one's better for you. Both are excellent guns, though.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Isnt the firing pin safety suppposed to protect memory lane no matter what?
    Sure, supposed to. I'm not saying that one safety shouldn't be enough, although I always engineer fail safes for the fail safes in my designs where safety is concerned. And even if the odds of one fail safe failing are slim, the odds of 2 failing are slimmer yet. Hey, the Feds mandated secondary door and hood latches on cars and the first one works fine for me.

I guess all I am saying is that you might convince me that one safety is enough on a SA carry gun, but you won't convince me that 2 are bad.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Well I had an X-D 40. I shoot on Thursday nights in a defensive/tactical league. I can honestly say the glocks preform better for this type of shooting. I sold my XD-40 and bought a 19. I love it....To me the XD's are too top heavy. But that it just my opinion.....I now own 3 Glocks. A 17, 19 and now a 32. I love them, for me I will not buy another XD...IMHO....
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I have owned guns, and been a shooter for more then 40 years. I tried both of these late last year and I bought the XD for every day carry. My decision had nothing to do with safetys or indicators. It is all about how it feels to shoot it and how well you shoot it.

The XD just felt and worked better for me. JMHO but given somewhat equal expectation for useful life and reliability that is what mattered to me.

Ken

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

It has nothing to do with neccesity(sp) and fear. Think of all the ridiculous features cars are being built with today? Do you absolutely need them? NO. BUT if you can be safer while still having a very high quality, easy to conceal unit that doesn't negatively affect operation? Why not? Its stupid not to take advantage of the extra tweaks and nice features.As aforementioned,the glock is a great unit,and was a HUGE deal when it came out, how many years ago, now?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    I can't agree with you more. I believe the XD is a gimmick that attracts newer shooters or occasional shooters. I think its features are silly, but if it makes someone comfortable that doesn't have tons of shooting experience...I guess it is worth it. People won't carry a gun that makes them nervous.
    Thats exactly how i feel though i have to say ive shot an XD & its ok but i still LOVE my GLOCK's. I have a G23 & my wife has the G19. You can always count on a GLOCK to fire no matter if you pulled it from the depths of a mudd pit also no matter what store you walk into they ALWAYS have accesiories for GLOCKS, we can even use whatever we feel like that day because all our holsters & carriers interchange

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links