XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26

This is a discussion on XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any body own both? Would love to know which one carries better. Also, I have seen a really simple pancake holster that looks like it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26

XD 9 SC vs. Glock 26

Any body own both? Would love to know which one carries better. Also, I have seen a really simple pancake holster that looks like it would keep either of these guns in tight. It was an open top non molded model...Any clues who makes them?
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I didn't have any expereince with the XD until recently when I was at the range on saturday. For me? Hands down XD. I think mainly its the firepin window thingy that lets you know its cocked,and the grip safety + the trigger safety. I really like glocks, but my next peice is an XD.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Throw Walther PPS into mix?

Not to confuse things, but you might want to also consider the new Walther PPS handgun that was just introduced. It differs from the G26 and the XD9 in that it is thinner - 1.04 inches - and has single stack magazines. It would be easier to conceal at the cost of a couple of rounds of capacity. Rather than being a chopped version of a larger gun, the Walther PPS was designed to be what it is.

Model: PPS
    Caliber: 9mm
    Length: 6.3″
    Height: 4.4″
    Width - Frame & Slide: 1.04″
    Barrel Length: 3.2″
    Sight Radius: 5.4″
    Weight (without Mag): 19.4 oz.
    Magazines: 6 & 7 Round Magazines Included (8 Rounds Available)
    Standard Magazine Weight: 1.9 oz.
    Action: Striker Fire Action, Pre-Cocked
    Trigger Pull: 6.1 lbs.
    Frame: Anthracite Polymer

The Glock and the XD both carry easily. They are about the same size.

Honestly, if you are picking between those two guns, shoot and handle both and go with the one that fits your hand best and that you shoot best.

You really can't go wrong with either. They are both very good guns and completely reliable after being broken in.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I would take the XD over the Glock ..

In Fact my Dad will be using my XD soon for carry Wouldn't let him have it if i didn't trust it

I agree with TN Mike in that you need to handle and shoot both guns. They both have different grip angles and think you will know instantly which one is right for you.

I've shot both and the XD worked better for me, which is why I bought one. The Glock may work better for you. The main differences are the grip angle, the XD's grip safety and the striker indicator. I believe the XD is like an improved Glock or Glock+, if you will.

I'd recommend you shoot each gun and decide what you like best. If you can't shoot both, at least hold them and find out which one points the best for you. It seems trite, but a recurring theme with firearms and especially carry is whatever works the best for you. It really is the truth.

The glock is a better gun. No need to send it to factory when it breaks, smaller,better trigger, better finish, more accessories. Research the safties on glock and you'll realize you don't need the silly grip safety. A grip safety was good for a 1911..but a modern striker.....come on. The glock is never fully cocked so the only way it'll fire is if you are an idiot and pull the trigger when you don't mean too. I owned xd's and sold them. I now have 3 glocks and no xd's.They seemed cool at first, but I believe they are over engineered gawky looking glock wannabes.

Also there is the kahr, keltec p11 or m+p. They are all good guns. I actually love keltecs for the price.

I have shot a G-23 (.40 cal) for about 8 years now, and I like it fine.

When deciding on a subcompact I was leaning toward a 9mm in case I wanted to pass it on to the wife. I shot the G-26, G-27 & XD9sc.

I bought the XD9sc!

For me there just seemed slightly better ergonimics. And I like the grip safety in addition to the "safe action" type trigger which is similar to the Glock.

Then there was the "cocked striker" indicator and the "loaded chamber" indicator. Just bells and whistles to some folks, but I like the extra features and believe they have a place.

The Glock was an evolution that took the gun world by storm, but in the 20 plus years they've been on the market, I think Springfield managed to make a few improvements, and there's nothing wrong with improving an already fine weapon platform. And the finish on the new XD's is reported to be the same "Tennifer" finish as the Glock, but with a different name.

Also the baby Glocks; G-26, G-27 don't have an accessory rail for the cool Mini-Light Insight makes for the XD sub compacts.

Been extremely happy with my decision!

YMMV (bottom line: try them both, you decide... my opinion mattered to me... you may reach a totally different conclusion)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I didn't have any expereince with the XD until recently when I was at the range on saturday. For me? Hands down XD. I think mainly its the firepin window thingy that lets you know its cocked,and the grip safety + the trigger safety. I really like glocks, but my next peice is an XD.
    And the need to depend on all those extra safeties is... ?

The newer GLOCKs have a chamber loaded indicator.

I have an 11-year-old GLOCK that has never had a negligent discharge. And no grip safety or cocking indicator to help out!! Imagine!

I have to ask, really... what is it that you would do with a gun that has a cocking indicator that you'd be afraid to do with a gun that lacks it? Likewise the grip safety?

I just don't understand why these features make the difference for some people. I don't want to be unfair, but what springs immediately to mind is the notion that anyone who wants to have those features plans to depend on them; and anyone who is depending on "safeties" for gun safety is an accident looking to happen.

Just one man's opinion. (One man who is confident that plenty of other men share his opinion, actually.)

A major factor to me in deciding on GLOCK to the exclusion of the XD (and, frankly, just about all other pistols) is the fact that the GLOCK can be easily (and I mean easily) taken utterly apart by anyone, with very little training needed.

There are no rolled pins that can't be taken out without replacing them fresh. Those bug me. The GLOCK is so well-engineered it's almost like holding a gun made of four pieces: barrel, grip, slide and trigger. They hit on what I really consider to be a magic confluence of design ideas and simplicity. No one before or since has come close enough to knock them out of my #1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The Glock and the XD both carry easily. They are about the same size.

Honestly, if you are picking between those two guns, shoot and handle both and go with the one that fits your hand best and that you shoot best.

You really can't go wrong with either. They are both very good guns and completely reliable after being broken in.

Yeah, what he said. :clever graphic of arrow pointing up here:
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Model: PPS
    Caliber: 9mm
    Length: 6.3″
    Height: 4.4″
    Width - Frame & Slide: 1.04″
    Barrel Length: 3.2″
    Sight Radius: 5.4″
    Weight (without Mag): 19.4 oz.
    Magazines: 6 & 7 Round Magazines Included (8 Rounds Available)
    Standard Magazine Weight: 1.9 oz.
    Action: Striker Fire Action, Pre-Cocked
    Trigger Pull: 6.1 lbs.
    Frame: Anthracite Polymer

It's hard to tell from the photo: is that entire long lever at the bottom of the trigger guard the magazine release? If so, it looks like a lever big enough to be subject to inadvertent actuation.
    Any such problems known?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It's hard to tell from the photo: is that entire long lever at the bottom of the trigger guard the magazine release? If so, it looks like a lever big enough to be subject to inadvertent actuation.
    Any such problems known?
    No, it's on the trigger guard and butt's to the grip. The walthers are big on that one. I hate it as I have a P22 and it's just hard to deal with when your used to the 1911's and such.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links