When to choose .357Sig

This is a discussion on When to choose .357Sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read some great and entertaining caliber debate on the forum. My goal IS Not to start a new one. Rather, I have a honest ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to choose .357Sig

When to choose .357Sig

I've read some great and entertaining caliber debate on the forum. My goal IS Not to start a new one. Rather, I have a honest question for you guys with experience.

I have never been attracted to the .357Sig, I figured I would have similar results with a 9mm+P+. I have been looking for a G-27 and found a G-33. After looking at a Speer reload manual, my curiosity was sparked because it was listed as a hunting round as well as self defense.

I have looked at ballistic tables and the .357Sig is similar to both the .40s&w and the 9mm with +P or +P+ ammo.

So- for my forum peers who have shot and tested the round, Is it worth while round? Does it have some bonus attributes that I've missed? and can it be used for hunting like the .357mag?
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

No for hunting at least for my tastes .. No gun out there has a barrel long enough to make use of it 5" or more is what i would look for so you would have to rechamber a 1911 from 40 to 357 to make effective use of it ..

I mean you could use it but its not ideal

when to choose it when ya got nothing else left on your plate to buy..

It is very accurate round though for what it is better than a 40 .. But ammo cost makes me say no to this one

I have had one and was fun to shoot

Administrator
    It is fun to shoot, its def. "hot". I like the round, but its just an oddball and that means tough to find sometimes and spendy.
    If it were a common choice, I'd have and carry one. Its not though, so I'll stick to .40
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just got a G33 not too long ago, the .357sig is a fun round to shoot,...it is LOUD. A barrel change and you have a .40 as well. As far as hunting with a .357sig , I'd say no. If you want an auto to hunt with as well as for SD, buy something in 10mm. Rent something in 357sig at a range, you'll know if the ammo prices are worth it or not.

I've never owned or shot a .357 Sig, but I can tell you that I wouldn't use one to hunt with. The typical .357 magnum hunting load is a 158 or 180 grain jacketed soft point, hollowpoint or hard cast lead. I think 125 grains is the most common bullet loaded in this caliber. Double tap does offer a 147 grain round that is hot, but I still wouldn't hunt with any autoloader, other than maybe a hot 10mm. It's just wrong, like putting ketchup on steak!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Hot 9mm or lightweight .40 cover same base

I would agree with your assertion that a 9mm +P+ or a lightweight (140 to 155 grain) .40 will fairly well duplicate the ballistics of the .357 Sig. If you like a 125 grain bullet moving at 1300 fps, which are the .357 Sig numbers, you can come close to it with the two more common calibers of 9mm and .40 S&W and the right bullet choice.

Given the higher ammo cost and the more limited number of guns for .357 Sig, it would not seem to fill a unique niche. I would not personally buy one as I am already supporting too many handgun calibers at present.

I bought a SigPro in .357 Sig. I had done a little research on it and it sounded like a good idea at the time since I already had a .40. I bought the pistol with a box of HP ammo, no target ammo. They had target ammo but I didn't want to drop the extra coin at the time, plus I thought I could get it cheaper online. So my shopping expirence began...and ended. No matter where I looked it was much more than the price of .40 even...for FMJ. So I ordered the .40 barrel for it and have not looked back. I ran a box of FMJ through the .357 sig barrel and it was good. It's my bump in the night gun with a TLR-1 (surefire makes an adapter for the rail) and the .40 barrel.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI

I for one, enjoy shooting .357Sig. I bought a P229 in .40 S&W and almost immediately put a .357Sig barrel in it. It is my "cold weather" carry piece. It's relatively expensive to shoot as far as just practicing goes...which is why I normally shoot .40S&W through the 229 at the range, and only run a mag or two through it with the .357Sig barrel.

As far as hunting goes, I'm not sold on it, though in one of his books, Mas Ayoob anecdotally talks about one of his friends who takes a deer with his Sig in .357Sig annually. From what I've read, the ballistics of the .357Sig approach the numbers of the .357 magnum. There is about 100fps difference in .357Sig fired out of a 4 inch barrel (e.g., fired from a four-inch barrel, a typical commercial .357 Magnum load propels a 125-grain bullet to 1450 ft/s, while a typical 357 SIG load propels the same bullet to 1350 ft/s). The one down side, other than price, is that when loaded to more closely replicate the ballistics of .357mag ammunition, one runs the risk of overpenetrating with .357Sig.

One of the things that is really appealling about the .357Sig cartridge is due to the round being bottlenecked, misfeeds are virtually nonexistant, making it an extremely reliable round for defensive carry.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've carried the 357 Sig in a 229 for the past 6 years. It was not an easy choice, I have carried a 45ACP for 40 years and have a number of fairly high end 1911's. One of my former students is a Secret Service agent and he came to visit and sold me on the 357 Sig. I bought a 229 and was absolutely astounded in the flat shooting ability. I have a bunch of 9mm including a wonderful HKP2K that I do stoke with Ranger +P+ loads but even these fall 100 fps short of the lowest Sig load.
    I have recently purchased a P2K in 40 that I am ordering a 357 Sig barrel for. That will be my new carry gun.
    (Don't get me wrong the Sig is a great piece but the HK is just a bit smaller and lighter.)

I have been debating this issue for quite some time now and I have yet to buy anything, but I can talk myself in and out of a .357Sig several times a day.

There are a lot of pros and cons so it is a difficult choice.

Here are the reasons I am still strongly considering one.

1) Yes ammo is more expensive, however range ammo is almost as "hot" as the carry ammo. This to me is a benefit becuase you train with almost the same amount of recoil you will have if you have to shoot in a SD situation.

2) When you come at it from the point of view of first looking at .357Mag snub, but then decide you want an auto, the .357Sig makes perfect sense, very similar ballistics, but better capacity. And there does not seem to be a lot of people who knock the venerable .357Mag

3) I would hope there is a good reason that so many law enforcement agencies have decided to go with this round.

4) My primary carry is a .45, and I am moving from my .185 grain DPX to a 230 grain (probably HST) to go as heavy as I can get. I wanted my BUG to go the opposite way with light and fast. And I want that light bullet to go as fast as I can reasonably push it. I am of the opinion that as a rule you loose to much when you settle for the middle ground. Want heavy?...go HEAVY, want fast?... go FAST. If you get get my meaning.

5) Edit, almost forgot, out of the factory choices for SD ammo .357Sig generally has some of the best ballistic numbers. Not so say that is the end all be all, but is a factor to take into consideration.

Do these or any of the other pros outweigh the cons? I guess that is for you to decide.

only IMHO, YMMV.
    Last edited by ShadeAngel; July 16th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I just bought a Glock 32. I love the 357 sig round. I now carry this all the time. Yes the ammo is more exensive but well worth it to me. As some one else mentioned it, more and more LEO's are carrying this round.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Check those ballistics tables again.
    the 357 Sig STANDARD load will shade the 9mm+p by 100 fps -
    shoots flatter too.

And it's a hoot to shoot.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I own a G33 and love it. I purchased it for its compact size and power. I also think that my reading on this forum and others that the rounds were "odd ball", "Pricey" and or "limited in grain selection" helped me choose this lone warrior. I love it and will never part with it. Personally, I think the G33 is the epitome of Glock; Some love it, some hate it, but secretly ALL wish they owned one.

My only complaint is that I wish they made a 44mag handgun the same size as my G33. Then I could really have my cake and eat it to.
    Last edited by Passa Fist; July 17th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

.357 Sig rds are pricey. I don't think a short barreled Glock makes for a great hunting gun. Sure you could kill something with it, but I don't think it is well suited to the task. I've got a friend who dropped deer on his rural property with his 10mm Glock, it was the only gun he had on him, when the buck stepped out of the brush close by.

Thanks for the opinions guys! I dont necessarily plan to hunt with it. I will be boar hunting this fall and it would be nice to carry an auto instead of the big .357mag. That was my thinking there.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links