FN Five-seven

This is a discussion on FN Five-seven within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to get some info on a hand gun called FN five seven. I understand it uses a 5.7 mm ammo. and has the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN Five-seven

FN Five-seven

I like to get some info on a hand gun called FN five seven. I understand
    it uses a 5.7 mm ammo. and has the hitting force of AR 15. Its this fire arm legel for ccw by the public? I also understand the size is the same as a compact style Springfield's xd 9 compact. It also has a low recoil?
    I am looking for a new carry pistol. My last post query was about the Taurus Mill Pro. And thanks for the input from you guys I decided that is not a good quality pistol, thus if it needs repair it might be a night mirier. I also have a feeling this FN five seven is not in the same league as that Taurus, am I right?
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

2. Remove Ads

Only thing I can think of is some people's confusion about the 5.7mm being armorpiercing.

The SS197SR Sporting Round is available to civilians.

Give it a rental first if you can find a range with one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7_x_28_mm_cartridge

Here's some more good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seveN

While I think the Five-seveN would certainly be a fun range toy, I don't think it's a good choice for personal defense. The 5.7 x 28 round isn't nearly as powerful as the .223 used in most AR's, but still runs the risk for over-penetration.

I'd recommend going with a gun chambered for one of the common personal defense rounds (.38, .357, 9mm, .40, or .45). As for specific guns, look into the Springfield XD and S&W snub-nose revolvers (642 is a popular choice). I hope you find something that works well for you.

There is alot of misinformation running around about these great guns so here is a link to a website deticated to that gun http://fivesevenforum.com/. I have rented one and think very highly of it. It is on my long list of must haves.

Some may question its stopping power, but not me. If I had one I would trust my life to it in a heartbeat. It has very little recoil and can be rapid fired and kept on target very easy. It is extremely accurate. You can also get aftermarket 30 round magazines for them.

As far as comparing it to a Taurus, well you're comparing a $350 gun to one over $800. Of course there is going to be a quality difference there, even though I am a happy PT145 Mil-Pro owner.

The biggest downsides I see to the FN are ammo cost and availabilty, holster availability, and size for a CCW. I'd like to see FN make a compact version, but that will probally never happen. Libtards have been trying to ban this gun for years (same people who brought us the "teflon" bullet scare and the "easy" full auto conversions for any semi auto). I'd say shoot it, if ya like it, buy it.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    As for the ammo, I think it's the military version that's armor piercing. I'm sure the civilian round is very powerful too, though.

As to the gun being a sub-compact, I think it's more like a full size. I believe it's over 8" long, although it seems to be light for its size (Under 30oz. empty, I believe), I'd still consider it a large gun & probably not a real good choice for a CC gun. Nice shooting gun, but large guns usually are.

We did get one to use at our Dept., & it wasn't as big & heavy as I thought it would be. Ammo's not exactly inexpensive, either, BTW. For concealablity, reliability, & costwise (Ammo & holster availability too, not just the gun), you might be better served by a good compact or sub-compact .40 or .45, if you're looking for more power.

I wouldn't say the Taurus PT145 Mil Pro is a bad gun, but I'd probably buy a Glock 36 (Which I use to have) or one of the sub-compact 1911s (Although I personally have a LW Commander size 1911).

Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; July 16th, 2007 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I like the FN Five-seveN, and would certainly not discount it for use as a carry weapon. While more traditional caliber weapons (9mm, .40, .45) may be an ideal choice, the Five-seveN (both in theory and execution) marches to the beat of a different drummer. Different, but I'd imagine no less effective, all things considered (perhaps less stopping power per shot, but higher multiple hit probability due to better accuracy, less recoil, and greater magazine capacity).
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by macphisto View Post
    Here's some more good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seveN

While I think the Five-seveN would certainly be a fun range toy, I don't think it's a good choice for personal defense. The 5.7 x 28 round isn't nearly as powerful as the .223 used in most AR's, but still runs the risk for over-penetration.

I'd recommend going with a gun chambered for one of the common personal defense rounds (.38, .357, 9mm, .40, or .45). As for specific guns, look into the Springfield XD and S&W snub-nose revolvers (642 is a popular choice). I hope you find something that works well for you.
    Yes I had a XD 9mm, but I gave it to my son when he got back from Iraq for the 3rd time. It is a good gun, but it is now his. If I take it back he will probably shoot me. LOL. Once a Marine always a Marine. I am looking for something special.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

For me I would see the FN Five-seveN more as a great SHTF gun or open carry ranch gun. Lots of fire power on hand & switch to the 30 round extended mag only makes it better. Little big for CCW & some of the bad publicity that surround it would create more of a possible liablity issue for a CCW.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    That's some coincidence. I've never heard of the Five-seveN until I started reading my first Tom Clancy book "Splinter CELL". At first I thought it was a fictitious made-up spy gun until I looked it up on the net.
    And today I see this post about it...
    I called my friend at my local gunshop & he's going to let me know if he can get one and how much it'd cost.
    For God, Family and Country!

Bud's gunshop has them for $799.99.

bae
    I have one. It's a great gun. It works fine on squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't rely upon it for defensive purposes though, the cartridge is essentially in the same ballpark as a .22 winchester magnum rimfire.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have one. It's a great gun. It works fine on squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't rely upon it for defensive purposes though, the cartridge is essentially in the same ballpark as a .22 winchester magnum rimfire.
    Took the words out of my mouth.

The .22 WMR would be a hell of a lot cheaper to practice with, too.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Interesting posting on 5.7 in "Tactical Forums"

I did a search on the Web for any test work done on the 5.7mm handgun and found the following posting, which contains lots of referenced articles. The bottom line seems to be that you are better off with a 9mm pistol for defense.

5.7 mm commentary on Tactical Forum

"Other than being able to perforate soft body armor, the 5.7 x 28 mm used in the FN P90, as well as the 4.6 x 30 mm fired from the HK MP7 cause wounds less incapacitating than those made by 9 mm FMJ fired from a pistol.

I have personally fired the 5.7 x 28 mm FN P-90; velocity, penetration, and tissue destruction is like a .17 Hornet--far less than we see with 75 gr TAP or 77 MK out of our M4’s. Winchester RA45T 230 gr JHP’s fired from our duty 1911’s crush more tissue and penetrate further than the 5.7 x 28 mm. Use of the 5.7 x 28 mm is a good way to ensure mission failure.

Several papers have described the incredibly poor terminal performance of projectiles fired by the FN P90.

--Dahlstrom D, Powley K, and Gordon C: “Wound Profile of the FN Cartridge (SS 190) Fired from the FN P90 Submachine Gun". Wound Ballistic Review. 4(3):21-26; Spring 2000.

--Fackler M: "Errors & Omissions", Wound Ballistic Review. 1(1):46; Winter 1991.

--Fackler M: "More on the Bizarre Fabrique National P-90", Wound Ballistic Review. 3(1):44-45; 1997.

--FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit. FBI Handgun Ammunition tests 1989-1995. Quantico, U.S. Department of Justice--Federal Bureau of Investigation.

--Hayes C: “Personal Defense Weapons—Answer in Search of a Question”, Wound Ballistic Review. 5(1):30-36; Spring 2001.

--Roberts G: “Preliminary Evaluation of the Terminal Performance of the 5.7 x 28 mm 23 Grain FMJ Bullet Fired by the New FN P-90 , Using 10% Ordnance Gelatin as a Tissue Simulant”, AFTE Journal. 30(2):326-329, Spring 1998.

--Roberts G: “Terminal Performance of the 5.7 x 28 mm 31 Grain SS-190 FMJ Bullet Fired by the FN P-90 in 10% Ordnance Gelatin.”, AFTE Journal. In Press.

The early 5.7 x 28 mm 23 gr FMJ bullet fired by the FN P-90 had insufficient penetration for law enforcement and military use. The current 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet has nearly adequate penetration, but the wound resulting from this projectile has a relatively small permanent crush cavity, as well as an insignificant temporary stretch cavity. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm penetrates soft body armor, wounding potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Even 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound--and we are all aware of the awe inspiring incapacitation potential of M882 ball from the M9......

Numerous other projectiles commonly used for law enforcement and military special operations applications, such as a good 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP JHP, the better 5.56 x 45 mm BTHP/JSP loads, as well as 12 gauge shotgun slugs and 00 buckshot, all provide better penetration, crush more tissue, and have far greater potential to reliably physiologically incapacitate an aggressor than the 5.7 x 28 mm 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet fired by the FN P-90. Law enforcement agencies and military special operations units are strongly urged to avoid adoption of this weapon system."

I own one...Great gun, but not for carry.... I have carried it before, but just is too big. It is a lot of fun to shoot though...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I always enjoy reading threads about the 5.7 on gun boards as they always make me laugh.

The 5.7 system was made for one, and one only, purpose. It was made for a Personal Defence Weapon (PDW) system. it was made to be packaged in small, manoeuvrable, ambidextrous, easily carried package that has a higer than normal magazine capacity and lower recoil than the 9x19. It was made to have better penetration capabilities than the current 9x19 NATO systems that are in service like the MP5. Examples of what it was designed for would be helicopter pilots, drivers and security personnel who may have to egress from comparatively small compartment like a car. Has anyone tried to get out of your car with your AR or other full sized rifle? Kind of awkward. The P90 is short enough that it can be taken anywhere where there is a need, or may be a need, for greater fire power than the normal handguns bring but a full sized rifle would be too much. Just ask the Secret Service.

Depending on ones view the cartridge has either too much penetration/damage, "cop killers" or not enough penetration/damage as the 5.56. The former usually tries to suggest that the SS190 military armour piercing rounds is what us civvies will use against police officers, which is untrue. The only way to get them is if the BATFE gives permission for the bonded warehouse to release them. And that will only happen to approved LEO/MIL forces. The SS196LF hollow points is the best we can do. And in reality, it is better for typical anti-personnel use as it is a hollow point and will create a better permanent wound cavity. The latter tries to denigrate the cartridge by comparing it to the 5.56 and saying that it is just a .22 Mag. It isn't supposed to be in the same class as the 5.56 and it is far superior to the .22 ballisticaly. The only other remotely comparable cartridge is the 4.6x30 that HK has released for their version of the PDW system. Comparing it to anything else is a waste of time.

Oh, and as for the FiveseveN, it is a full sized pistol that is rather thick and blocky. And the magazines are larger than almost any other calibre that one might carry. At least to me anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links