Opinions Between Two Kimbers

This is a discussion on Opinions Between Two Kimbers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at the Raptor II for a while now and am going to buy either it or a Custom II TLE this ...

I have been looking at the Raptor II for a while now and am going to buy either it or a Custom II TLE this week, any opinions on which to choose? I have the funds for either, but the college student in me kinda wants to go for the Custom with its $250 less price tag. I am looking for it to be a carry/weekend shooter.

Opinions would be great.

Thanks

Hard to beat the TLE for the price difference. The only thing extra your are getting with the Raptor is flash! No need for it, save your money and buy some ammo with it. .45's are expensive and all ammo is about to go up soon.

About the only thing I would suggest is get the stainless, it is more but the black kimber finish (whatever it is, Parkarized?) is not very good IMO.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I havnt heard many good things about the use of stainless in guns, I know that opinion is kinda an outdated one, but still just the simple idea of the same materials being better vs differing materials rubbing on eachother...

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1 I agree with Ti. for the money the TLE II is the better buy. It is a very very nice firearm.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Ultra Raptor II

I have mostly plain jane handguns,no bells,no whistles.The Ultra Raptor II being an exception.It has impressed me, to say the least.100% reliability and dead on accurate. I don't regret the purchase price at all.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pirate252 View Post
    I havnt heard many good things about the use of stainless in guns, I know that opinion is kinda an outdated one, but still just the simple idea of the same materials being better vs differing materials rubbing on eachother...
    Yep, to each his own!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

You're Facing a Great Problem...

Which Kimber should I buy?

You are going to be a winner either way! It probably only boils down to how much money you really want to spend...forget the $ and get the one you really like...or...get them both!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They are both very nice but I agree with some of the other posts. Go with the custom. Its a good choice for quite a bit less money. Thats what I bought for my first 1911 a few months ago. I figured I would get a good gun that was not super expensive and once I became a full fledged 1911 expert/nutcase I could get something really good later like a Ed Brown or Wilson Combat The custom has been really great so far! Good luck on a tough decision.

[QUOTE=Ti ...About the only thing I would suggest is get the stainless, it is more but the black kimber finish (whatever it is, Parkarized?) is not very good IMO.
    Ti[/QUOTE]

Roger that on the stainless...I just bought a Tact Pro II and I'm underwhelmed with the durability of the finish. But looking beyond the cosmetics this gun is amazingly easy to conceal and extremely accurate.

So, the first question you should ask yourself is what is the purpose youíre buying the gun for, or what need is it going to fill? If itís going to be a showpiece, by all means buy the Raptor. If itís going to be a concealed-carry gun thatís going to be hidden all the time, why spend the extra money to buy a designer gun?

My Kimbers are all ďworking guns,Ē are all utilitarian models, and are all in stainless steel. Whenever you carry a gun around in a holster for a significant amount of time, youíll get holster wear on the gun. If the gun has a finish of some sort, it will get marred, or sometimes even worn through eventually. If the gun is stainless, thereís no finish to wear through.

All of my Kimbers have ridden around in a holster enough to have bright spots worn on them form being in (and in and out of) a holster. Thatís just what happens with working guns.

By the way, Iíve had numerous stainless guns of several types since they started to become popular back in the Ď70s. All have served me well. Previous to the stainless guns, the guns I carried were blued, and I was constantly having to touchup the bright spots that showed up from holster wear. I know the new finishes are a lot tougher than the old blue finishes, but Iím still a fan of stainless guns.

Hereís a plug for the TLE II. I ordered a Custom with night sights just as Kimber was starting to convert production over to the series II guns. When it came in, Kimber had shipped a stainless TLE II. This was about a year before the stainless TLE II guns hit the general market. Itís been my main carry gun and has served me well ever since.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I bought the Raptor II and love it.
    works great and I like being different than everybody else. to the uneducated every 1911 is the same..but to see the Raptor, you know its different.
    Thats my reasoning behind my purchaase.
    If everybody else has it, there is a good chance I will buy something different.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I kinda agree with the unique thing, its just such an interesting looking gun, yes it will be a carry weapon, but I also plan to use it on the weekends for practice either just with targets or at local competitions (already looking forward to those!)

+1 for the Raptor. Just feels good in the hand & a straight shooter............

Pirate... I would strongly urge you to consider a Colt 1991A1 Government or a Springfield "Loaded". While Kimbers come off with a lot of marketing and visual "sizzle" to appeal to those inclined to respond to that, the meat in production 1911's is in Colt or Springfield. Kimber's "meaty" days were years ago (before the "II" appeared in their product names). Today they are riding on sizzle. Do you know what the Schwartz firing pin system is?
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Links