Davis Model=D,.25 cal. information?

This is a discussion on Davis Model=D,.25 cal. information? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I can ask the gun shop guys,but I would like to hear it from you folks.What is the proper way to load,cock and ...

Thread: Davis Model=D,.25 cal. information?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Davis Model=D,.25 cal. information?

I guess I can ask the gun shop guys,but I would like to hear it from you folks.What is the proper way to load,cock and shoot this gun?Do you cock it to the first notch and put the safety on to carry it? I bought this 8 years ago because it was cheap and I was purchasing another gun.I no longer sell or trade away any gun.I even keep an old BB gun I was given.I know this gun has limited use,but it is still a gun.Is it safe to dry fire it?I hope to take it to the range soon,just for fun.I am truly believe in gun safety so I ask before I shoot.Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

I recall seeing the Davis derringers but don't know anything about them. Seems like they sold for either $32 or $37 back when. It'd probably be best to have a fun afternoon with it but not carry it. I don't know how positive the safety is.

D25

Probably not safe to dry fire it. Davis recommended against it, and the pistol series would break the occasional firing pin. The manual is available here:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/cobra_derringer.pdf
    And it says 1/2 cock and safety on. I'd go with that. Not the most expensive gun with high tech safety features, so use care with it.

Exclamation Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I guess I can ask the gun shop guys,but I would like to hear it from you folks.What is the proper way to load,cock and shoot this gun?Do you cock it to the first notch and put the safety on to carry it? I bought this 8 years ago because it was cheap and I was purchasing another gun.I no longer sell or trade away any gun.I even keep an old BB gun I was given.I know this gun has limited use,but it is still a gun.Is it safe to dry fire it?I hope to take it to the range soon,just for fun.I am truly believe in gun safety so I ask before I shoot.Thanks for your help.
    As to loading,be sure the hammer is on half=cock, not down. If you will notice,with hammer down(broke open),one of the firing pins will still protrude through the breech face. Closing with the hammer down could cause a discharge,and because of the small size,your hand could be in close proximty of the muzzle,when closing. I would carry on half-cock and the safety engaged. I wouldn't dry fire.STAY SAFE
    U.S. Army Veteran

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Thanks

I used to own a Davis deringer in .38 Special and later another in .22 magnum.
    To load, keep the hammer at half cock and the safety on...carry it this way when it is loaded, otherwise the pistol may fire when you close it.

For what it's worth, both my Davis deringers were pretty accurate at a maximum 10 yards or so with practice.
    Also, the hammer on the .38 model would sometimes become fully cocked in my pocket from movement...keep the safety on when carrying the pistol.
    Dry fire only with a snap cap or a fired case in the chambers.
    They were not very expensive but they were reliable shooters and were a lot more accurate than I would have thought. The small ones are very easy to hide.
    Davis became Phoenix Arms some years ago...I don't know it they are still in business.
    The deringers were IMO the best pistols they ever made.
    Mark

Links