Kimber Ultra Carry II

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just got a Kimber Ultra Carry II for my bday and let me tell you that I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! So show me some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry II

Kimber Ultra Carry II

Well I just got a Kimber Ultra Carry II for my bday and let me tell you that I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So show me some good toys for it. I really want to get some good stuff for it but wouldn't even know where to start.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Carbon Creations grips
    5 Shot "Uncle Lou" IWB holster
    dual mag holder
    3 Wilson Combat mags
    500 rounds of FMJ to use for practice rounds

have fun with it :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Carbon Creations grips
    5 Shot "Uncle Lou" IWB holster
    dual mag holder
    3 Wilson Combat mags
    500 rounds of FMJ to use for practice rounds

have fun with it :-)
    I can't argue that list. But you will need a holster sooner rather than later and a Don Hume or something that is available (ebay usually has some good finds) will get you by for now until you order the good stuff.

Only thing I would say is get a full case 1000 rds, break the Ultra down clean it very good, toothbrush cleaning and all, use good lube and lube very well the first 400-500 rds. Cleaning every 100 rds, re-lube, etc.

The new mag's are essential, just throw out the mag that came with the ultra I wouldn't even bother using it unless you buy a new spring and follower kit and install it and even then I would only use it on the range. Any mag that has a metal follower will likely start beating on the inside of the frame chipping at it. There is no real damage other than cosmetic but why would you want to beat up you new gun if you don't have too?

I have no idea why Kimber or any other company would send a mid/higher dollar 1911 out with the worst possible magazine to use it is beyond me.

Report back and let us know how you like it. Slim CC grip's will also make all the difference carrying it. I bought some Wilson Combat Concealed Carry grips for my Ultra CDP and they are perfect for what I wanted.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Excellent choice, excellent recommendations.

I second the Wilson Mags The best place to start.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Ditto the thin grip panels

I agree with the previous poster that thin grip panels, which reduce overall grip thickness by 0.20 inches, will make your Kimber much easier to conceal. And they feel good in the hand, as well.

Two brands that I like are Alumagrips and VZ Grips - the first are made of aluminum and the second of micarta with paper, linen or canvas.

Alumagrips website

VZ Grips website

Here are slim Alumagrips on my Colt Defender, which takes "officer" size grips like your Kimber Ultra:

And here are the VZ thin micarta grips:

Mine has slim grips, stainless mags, other than that nothing fancy. Great guns!

"Any mag that has a metal follower will likely start beating on the inside of the frame chipping at it. There is no real damage other than cosmetic but why would you want to beat up you new gun if you don't have too?"

O.K., I am a newbie and I have learned a lot from this forum and I am willing to listen. I don't understand how a metal follower which is contained internally in the mag could chip the frame! I have heard that they are garbage and unreliable but I have fired about 3000 rounds cycling through my Wilson mags and using the mag that came with my Kimber. I have never had a misfire, hang-up or seen any chipping in the frame. What am I not understanding?

VIP Member
    I too would like to know more about that, my bro has a Kimber Ultra carry, and I'd very much like to pass on the info.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by CT Kid View Post
    "Any mag that has a metal follower will likely start beating on the inside of the frame chipping at it. There is no real damage other than cosmetic but why would you want to beat up you new gun if you don't have too?"

O.K., I am a newbie and I have learned a lot from this forum and I am willing to listen. I don't understand how a metal follower which is contained internally in the mag could chip the frame! I have heard that they are garbage and unreliable but I have fired about 3000 rounds cycling through my Wilson mags and using the mag that came with my Kimber. I have never had a misfire, hang-up or seen any chipping in the frame. What am I not understanding?
    Does your Kimber have an aluminum frame? If not that is probably why it hasn't chipped at the inside of the frame. If it does have the aluminum frame you are either lucky that it hasn't chipped or you are not looking in the correct place for the damage/chipping. It chip's at the "inside" of the frame behind the front strap but internally. The mag's with polymer followers will prevent this from happening.

ETA - Remember this is only a cosmetic issue and will not or does not cause a problem with the gun function or otherwise. The black aluminum frames such as on the CDP show this the most because when this happens the fresh aluminum shows up like the lights are on. If I thought I had skills enough to take a picute of mine to show I would. I only have two very small chip's that were from the previous owner using the stock mag. It's not bad due to he shot very few rounds through it.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    The Kimber Ultra Carry II is a great little gun! I ran 650 rounds through mine last weekend at the threat focused training with AZQKR. It got really dirty,as I didn't have time to clean it all day but it ran like a champ!! I carry mine in a Brommeland Max-con V with a single mag pouch, great rig. I will trust my life to my Kimber, as it has about 3000 rounds down the pipe without a glitch. It had some teething probs though, Wilson combat mags cured that, save the Kimber mags for practice only...just my 0.02 worth Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

eww
    I put the thin Alumagrips on mine. Still fits my hands well and makes it slimmer for CCW.
    Attached Images

Over on the 1911 boards, theres post after post on the metal -vs- plastic follower. From what I remember, it had to do with the metal split followers, like Chip McCormicks. That type of follower actually contacts the aluminum frame, and nicks it. The KimPro mags aren't made with the same style follower and shouldn't have the same problem. I personally like Wilson Combat mags, I've rebuilt several of my Chip McCormick mags with Wilson guts, but I still go back to all Wilson mags.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Thanks for all of that info. I already took it and out and was very impressed by the shot. It shots better than my Glock 27. IMO

Thanks for the grip sites that is wht I was looking for.

Where would be the beast place to buy wilson mags? Do any of you have them for sale?
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

VIP Member
    thanks for all the input guys, I'll pass it on to my bro. He'll be glad since he is going to a new job thats not inside a school building and will be able to carry all day now
    ....although "officially" the Kimber is supposed to be his wife's carry piece
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Wilson magazine sources

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    Where would be the best place to buy Wilson mags?
    Wilson magazines are widely sold in gun stores, gun shows, on Ebay, at the Wilson Combat website or at other dealers' websites, such as Midway. You will need the shorter "officers" length magazines for a Kimber Ultra. I have paid between $20 and $27 each for new Wilson magazines.

Note that you can choose from several styles of baseplates and either stainless or black magazine bodies. Make sure you order the type you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links