Best Gun

This is a discussion on Best Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have $1,000.00 dollars and I want to get the best 1911 for the money. Please keep in mind that I do not have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Gun

Best Gun

I have $1,000.00 dollars and I want to get the best 1911 for the money. Please keep in mind that I do not have a 1911 at the present time. What is the best weapon that I can pick up and use with my limited experieince. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

First try to figure out whichever one fits your hand best. If they have dummy mags (just for the weight of the mag) for god sakes don't ask them to put rounds in it in the store, try to test it a bit like that. Most .45's will feel very different and heavier when fully loaded.

Second select the best 2-3 that fit your hand and seem to just point naturally and then shoot them. Most 1911's are very similar in shape but that doesn't mean they will feel the same with recoil. 1911's are great you'll find a huge following, if you have limited training I don't think that it would be my first recommendation. Single action is a bit more touchy and if you don't train consistently you might even forget to take the safety off when you need the gun.

I have an HK USP45 which is very similar in style to a 1911 but it has a few additional features you might or might not like. Personally I'm probably going to change the trigger group from V1 (double and single action) to the LEM trigger so the pull is always the same.

To answer your question you can't go wrong with Kimber, HK, Wilson.

Figure your budget is 1k then spend 1/3 to 1/2 on the gun. The rest will be spent in ammo and training (these are the things that really add up to make you more proficient, not just a nice/expensive gun).

There are any number of decent quality 1911's you can get for around your quoted price. Kimber, Springfield, STI, Colt, Para, S&W,Taurus, etc. I purchased an STI Spartan to use as a spare "duty weapon" last week and it appears to be well made and shoots well. I've only put 200 rds through it so far but no problems. For the money I think its one of the best values on the market right now (I paid $571.00 plus tax).

I currently have 2 Para's, 2 SA's, and 2 STI's (all 1911's) and they are all good weapons. I guess it just depends on which brand appeals to you most and what accessories you want on it.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Man this is a loaded question!

What do you plan to do with it? Carry it, range, training, safe queen to look at now and again? Gotta know that before to much can be recommended.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Question Q?

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I have $1,000.00 dollars and I want to get the best 1911 for the money. Please keep in mind that I do not have a 1911 at the present time. What is the best weopon that I can pick up and use with my limited experieince. Thanks.
    Why a 1911, if I might ask? Have you extensive experience with them and just haven't gotten around....no that's not right you asked us for the "best" 1911, if you'd fired them you'd know already. So why?

Is this going to be a "carry weapon?" If so, why? I understand a 45 as I have four of those myself: A Sig P245, an H&K USP and two 1911s. My H&K is my dedicated home defense weapon because I KNOW it is 100% reliable and that's what I want to defend my family. But it's really too big for comfortable carry here in South Florida. But it IS a sweeeeet shooter. The Sig is what I normally carry...until it got really hot then I had to shove the S&W M642 into my pocket, unless I know in advance I'll be crossing "Indian Country" and then I'll live with a cover garment in return for 45 happiness. Guess what? I NEVER carry my 1911s. Sure, I used to....my Remington Rand GI 45 was my very first carry semiauto on active duty. The Combat Commander is my wife's house gun. I simply moved from an intense "like" of the SA auto to a similar "like" of the DA variants. I haven't carried a 1911 for about 15 years.

So....why? If we know exactly WHY it will be easier to assess your requirements and then make a recommendation.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Instead of dropping $1000 on a gun, especially when you admit you have limited experience, spend $600 on the gun and the rest on some good training. A $1000+ 1911 won't do anything that a good $600 one will except shoot slightly more accurately. My choice in your situation would be a Springfield Mil-Spec. It has good sights, a forged frame and slide, and a lowered ejection port. Try it out at the store and if it fits you well, take it home. Put a few hundred rounds through it and decide what you like and don't like. Maybe a flat mainspring housing or long trigger will fit you better than the stock ones. Go ahead and buy those parts and install them, if you buy quality parts there's no need to fit those two they just drop in. In the end you'll still spend that $1000 but you'll spend it on actual upgrades that will help you shoot better instead of compromising with a 'factory custom' that uses substandard parts and unnecessary 'features' like full length guide rods and front cocking serrations. JMO of course.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Here's an idea: Get a sample of a $1000 gun and three run-of-the-mill 1911s costing around half that. Wear a blindfold and have somebody switch up the guns. Hold each one and figure out which is which. If you consistently pick the one worth $$$ then it'll be like the Boy King and Excalibur. But don't be surprised if you really love one of the others. Roadrunner had a GREAT point: The major difference in a $1000 dollar gun and one costing half that is the training and experience of the shooter. Roadrunner is absolutely right. Spend the money on training and get some experience. Then you can save for a custom made 1911 and really be able to appreciate the weapon for all the right reasons.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Not to contradict road runner but I did exactly what he's recommending with the SA MilSpec and now I almost regret it. Almost because I do like mine and i did change the mainspring housing to a flat one (myself), but now I wish I have more features and if you pay to have them added it ends up costing a LOT more in the long run than if you just did your homework and got more in the first place.

Instead of the MilSpec from Springfield, I wish I'd gotten the same gun in what they called their "loaded" form. You can get it for under $1000 but it has some much better options that I think you'll like unless you buy a 1911 and then decide you don't like it which isn't likely.

Now if you want to carry concealed, a full size (5" barrel) 1911 is heavy and big and even though you'll always have a guy or two who says they have NO problem carrying it and that it disappears under a T shirt with a good holster and belt, well, I don't want to be rude but I don't buy it. BIG guys can carry big better but average guys get tired of the weight and eventuall go for a lightweight gun with smaller grip.

Now if this is home defense and/or target/range then 5" all steel is the way to go!

Something else to consider is carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. I personally think that's the only way to carry one but it bothers some people alot.

For concealed carry only, you want the smallest grip you're comfortable with (hardest part to conceal), you want the flattest weapon and a reasonable barrel length. Double stacks are thick and put a bump on your side if you're in good shape unless you wear baggy shirts and even then, if you bend wrong or the shirts too thin you get printing.

So what do you really want this gun for?

I still like my plain mil-spec but sure wish I'd just gotten a loaded springfield from the get go.

Anyway, roadrunners advise isn't bad, I just have a different take after doing it that way.

God Bless
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I have $1,000.00 dollars and I want to get the best 1911 for the money. Please keep in mind that I do not have a 1911 at the present time. What is the best weopon that I can pick up and use with my limited experieince. Thanks.
    With great respect to the other people answering here I must point out that this question is not in relation to a first gun.
    If it were it would be relevant to cite the need for a training/ammo budget, and if it were definitely in relation to a carry gun then the need for budgeting for 200+ rounds of carry ammo would be relevant.

But, it's just a guy buying another gun, but one he doesn't already have. For all we know he's been shooting for 20 years and wins competitions and/or taught Massad Ayoob a few things...

So, with that clean slate regarding preconceptions what would you recommend as a decent first 1911 for about a grand.

My vote is on a Gold Cup.

Anyone know why that is a bad recommendation?

Two of my pistols are 1911's. The first was a Dan Wesson PM7 (CZ).
    Lots of features and accurate as hell. I paid about $800.00 for it brand new. My second pistol was the Kimber Ultra Carry II. This is my carry gun, I put about 3000 rounds through it without a hitch so I feel its reliable. Its not as accurate as my Dan Wesson but it shoots anything I put through it and its much easier to carry concealed. These were my first pistols, I wanted a single action because of a hand injury. The trigger pulls straight back rather than pivioting reducing the tendancy to yank the gun off target. The 1911 is a great choice and proven design, go for it!

Did you read his post?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But, it's just a guy buying another gun, but one he doesn't already have. For all we know he's been shooting for 20 years and wins competitions and/or taught Massad Ayoob a few things...My vote is on a Gold Cup. Anyone know why that is a bad recommendation?
    What he said in the initial post was: What is the best weopon that I can pick up and use with my limited experieince. Thanks.

Gold Cup's are awesome. I used one when I was XO of the 9th ID Pistol Team. But I wouldn't carry it. Why? Those great TARGET SIGHTS tend to dig into my body and also tend to snag on a cover garment when I try to draw, especially under pressure. But if this gun is never going to be carried just taken from a gun bag on the range and returned to the bag to be taken home for cleaning...that's something else. That's why we need to know its intended use. He already said he has limited experience. We're trying to help.

Ex, I did read it, I quoted it.
    His limited experience IMO refers to the 1911 platform, he lists a carry gun under his avatar and made no mention of needing training.

I could be wrong, I like it when that happens as it reminds me I'm not a woman, but I wrote how it looks from over here, in Peteland.

And of course, I was being facetious when I said he trained Mas, I meant Clint...

Question Let's ASK him!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ex, I did read it, I quoted it.
    His limited experience IMO refers to the 1911 platform, he lists a carry gun under his avatar and made no mention of needing training.

I could be wrong, I like it when that happens as it reminds me I'm not a woman, but I wrote how it looks from over here, in Peteland.

And of course, I was being facetious when I said he trained Mas, I meant Clint...
    I respect Clint more than I do Mas...but that's neither here nor there. His carry gun is listed as a Kahr 9mm. I know a lot of pros that love the Kahr. But none of them got it as a first, second or even a third gun. I'm not being snobbish, but it seems to indicate to me that there is more of a general level of inexperience. The Kahr is often recommended as a first carry gun.

I fired my first 1911 45 when I was about 15. I didn't have the occasion to purchase one until I was about 24. But I was well acquainted with the 1911 and a host of others in the intervening years. So let's find out his level of training and experience.

Speaking of Clint....I'd suggest saving up a few hundred more and getting a Les Baer TRS. There are lots of great 1911s available - but around the $1,000 mark IMO there are lots doodads and finishes and lasers and things. I think a less expensive or more expensive gun probably has more value.

Austin

Take a look at the Taurus PT1911. Lots of extras for MSRP $800 (stainless). It's a $1.5k gun for half the money.

blue:
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

Stainless
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links