Taurus PT1911

Taurus PT1911

This is a discussion on Taurus PT1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Taurus PT1911. When the slide is pulled back the slide catch engages holding the slide back. My problem is releasing the ...

Thread: Taurus PT1911

Taurus PT1911

I just purchased a Taurus PT1911. When the slide is pulled back the slide catch engages holding the slide back. My problem is releasing the slide. I push the release as hard as i can and it won't budge. I have to pull the slide back then release the slide catch.

This is my first 1911. Is this normal or is it just a tight new pistol that will loosen up over time?

Stuart
    Dog

This is normal.
    You'll need to slingshot the slide meaning pull it back to release tension on the slide hold (not really a release as commonly referenced) resulting in the slide coming forward to close.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of the 1911. :)

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Keep us posted on how that pistol performs. I want a 1911 but I don't want to spend a ton on one.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

http://forum.m1911.org/index.php? Excellent info on 1911s. Scroll down to the Tarus section and you can read for days.

Most 1911s have a 500-1000 round break in period. Use 230 gr. FMJ for this break in period. I have not read the Tarus section but Failure To Return to Battery (FTRB) is a common problem for a new 1911. You can pollish the ramp/chamber and slide/rails to shorten the break in process. Or you can put 500-1000 down range and let nature take its course. I prefer the latter approach as it lets you get used to your new gun and it quirks.

The other thing that helps is to do a complete disassembly and clean and lube. There is a guide at the above forum to help with proper disassembly and reassembly.

Welcome to the world of 1911. It is an awesome machine that has been around for almost 100 years. Once you get yours broke in you will absolutely love/hate your new gun...it is the nature of 1911s.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Congrats on the new buy...I've got a PT1911 and I love it...if you haven't shot it yet, you will be surprised at how well it shoots.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Senior Moderator
    If the magazine is full, just pulling the slide back and letting it go will drop the slide and chamber a round. If the magazine is empty the slide will not close (or at least SHOULD NOT close) by just pulling back on the slide.

On brand new 1911s (or guns in general) the slide release is pretty darned stiff, this is a good thing. It will smooth out with time.

Loading your magazine and then sling-shotting (pulling back on your slide and then letting it go) your 1911 will work just fine. Your slide should close and chamber a round.

If you have difficulty closing the slide on an empty chamber, drop the magazine, ever so slightly, and then hit either the slide release or pull back on the slide and let it go. It should close.

The empty magazine activates the slide stop, with wear from many rounds being loaded into it it will loosen up.

Correct Lima...
    I forgot to mention that fact and was thinking toward the pistol being either magless or the mag being loaded following a pistol reload.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I just purchased a Taurus PT1911. When the slide is pulled back the slide catch engages holding the slide back. My problem is releasing the slide. I push the release as hard as i can and it won't budge. I have to pull the slide back then release the slide catch.

This is my first 1911. Is this normal or is it just a tight new pistol that will loosen up over time?

Stuart
    If an empty magazine is locked in place, this is very normal.

If there's no magazine in the magazine well, this is very abnormal.

Links