I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. - Page 2

I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

This is a discussion on I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [B]I have a P-11 that runs perfectly. I paid 190 bucks for it. It has the IWB clip on it which makes it possible to ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

[B]I have a P-11 that runs perfectly. I paid 190 bucks for it. It has the IWB clip on it which makes it possible to carry the piece IWB without a holster. Sort of like the Clipdraw. I carried it today under a tee shirt.

So far I've shot about 400 rounds of various loads through it with no problems.

Euc? How about a SW40VE? New, they're pretty rerasonable, and used? well darn right cheap. I got to handle one this past week aat my dearler frriend's sho[. They feel good, stainless slide, something the Glock doesn't have. To me, the grip frame feels better than the Glock IMHO. I know, S&W had trouble with them in the past, but if you gat a good ramp job on it, you still have a weapon that's light, cheap, and a hi cap mag. They're about the very same size as a Glock 23, and used brings in about 235.00 to 245.00 on the retail..

Thumbs down Kel-Tec Handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Too darn thick. I have to admit it is light, but the P series just does not carry well for a lot of people.

I'm not even committed to the ideal anyway. I'm just kicking it around. Keltec P11? You know I've never actually seen that model in person. I've seen its little brothers but not that particular model.
    Okay, I admit it, I'm biased against Kel-Tec handguns. I think they just "feel" cheap and the trigger pulls are gawdawful. Now I have had in my collection that neat little folding carbine the Sub-2000 and I was very impressed with that. But I'd never own one of their handguns.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs down S&W Sigma?

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Euc? How about a SW40VE? New, they're pretty rerasonable, and used? well darn right cheap. I got to handle one this past week aat my dearler frriend's sho[. They feel good, stainless slide, something the Glock doesn't have. To me, the grip frame feels better than the Glock IMHO. I know, S&W had trouble with them in the past, but if you gat a good ramp job on it, you still have a weapon that's light, cheap, and a hi cap mag. They're about the very same size as a Glock 23, and used brings in about 235.00 to 245.00 on the retail..
    Is this the Sigma? If it is, there is a reason for all the hate publicity it's gotten in the gun community and for my money the Tennifer Slide on a Glock trumps SS all day long!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Honestly, I'd take the Glock it was designed after long before I'd get a Sigma.

I'm sure the new ones are better but they have no appeal to me at all. I held one not too long ago and wasn't curious enough to fire it.

See this is basically the problem. I'm curious if such a gun exists in this caliber that's not a Glock, and it looks like the only things out there are either too expensive or too cheap for my intended purpose. I need to find a Taurus owner and see if I can trade a "Hey want to shoot my..." for a "Could I fire your Taurus?" sometime.

It looks like I'll just have to go with another caliber or wait for a deal if I went through with this. Really I have no opposition to .40 S&W per se, but I'm thinking I need to stick to a caliber that I know is sickeningly common. .40 isn't exactly rare but 9mm and .45 ACP are much more common by comparison.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Euc,

Where will you ever go that does not have .40 SW ammo for sale?

Merciful heavens, son, there was a time I had only one .40 SW, and that was a 4013 I think I fired twice and carried once. I had over 2,000 loaded rounds and a small pile of brass I traded for. I'm frightened to think how much more I have now.

Chances are that The Cadillac Ranch is about as foreign a place as you'll ever go. If it gets any more bizarre I'm sure the government will be paying your tab.

Enjoy the cartridge. It's easy to reload, there are combinations enough to keep me up for many nights.

My disposable carry piece in the event I'm in an unfriendly state is one of the beat up $259 Sig 226s that looks like the slide was stored in salt water for a month.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Is this the Sigma? If it is, there is a reason for all the hate publicity it's gotten in the gun community and for my money the Tennifer Slide on a Glock trumps SS all day long!
    All I was thinking was to have a cheap gun, in case it was confiscated. I do know the stigma, behind the Sigma Let's face it, ANY gun that's confiscated is one too many, or if you had to use it to save your life, any gun is better than none. I've found a Para P12 matt finish lightweight with night sights <the front sight is dead> for 375.00 with 2 extra hi cap mags. Also seeing S&W 469's with extra hi caps for 265.00..
    The Glocks around here are selling for 385.00 to 450.00 used...<17, 19, 22,etc> Also found a Star PD in 45 for 275.00 I remember carrying a few of those in my belt.....light and still had the firepower in case I needed it.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Call the legal office of the NRA

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Im with tourist on this the 40 is every where just as popular as the 9 in fact its easyer to find the 40 short and weak here than it is 45acp half the time

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Euc,

Where will you ever go that does not have .40 SW ammo for sale?

Merciful heavens, son, there was a time I had only one .40 SW, and that was a 4013 I think I fired twice and carried once. I had over 2,000 loaded rounds and a small pile of brass I traded for. I'm frightened to think how much more I have now.

Chances are that The Cadillac Ranch is about as foreign a place as you'll ever go. If it gets any more bizarre I'm sure the government will be paying your tab.

Enjoy the cartridge. It's easy to reload, there are combinations enough to keep me up for many nights.
    Tourist in small places you just never know. I've been in a town where you can't even get .357 SIG. Even where I live, which is not a wide spot in the road, .44 Special is almost a special order, and there's only one or two varieties of .357 Magnum available at most shops. 10mm or .32 NAA? Forget it.

Although I will concede the point that if you can't find such a common caliber as .40 you probably can't find anything else either. My other thinking was that if you're having to improvise with store bought ammo, odds are you've got FMJ rounds.

Alot of good suggestions so far...

I personally must be the only one here who owns nothing but Glocks in handguns. I have tried many others..in all different calibers..but the Glock seems to be my soulmate.

I'd say your options are limited actually...budget vs. price, reliability vs. price, etc....a nice used Glock 26/27 with a finger plus one on it, or a nice used G19/23. there are some deals out there. I personally wanted a .45 Glock...but read a few stories about the 36...and while I have read MANY that say theirs are "great" and "no problems"...I went with a G30..

That said...there arent too many used G30's out there..and they arent cheap either when you do find em.

As much as you wanted a .45...Id say find a 9mm or .40 in a used Glock....try the different sizes if you hacent...I know for me the fullsize Glcoks dont sit right in my hand...but the compacts are excellent...as well as the sub compacts.
    Brad B.

A throw away gun... yet no one mentions a Makarov? It might be underpowered... but full mag will solve most problems. Accurate and reliable... and for just a bit over a hundred bucks, the loss of one is easily written off.

Thumbs up Boom Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Im with tourist on this the 40 is every where just as popular as the 9 in fact its easyer to find the 40 short and weak here than it is 45acp half the time
    Hey Bud, ARMY OF DARKNESS was on Sci-Fi last night. Thought of you, very KEWL.

Lead Moderator
    I got a PT Taurus for my compact auto and like it. The trigger pull is long but not that heavy. I considered a Glock, but the grip angle was wrong for me. So far , no problems with my PT.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links