I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. - Page 3

I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

This is a discussion on I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks Rocky. That's my problem with the Glock too. It's not the quality of the gun it's they physical shape of the gun. Anyway this ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

Thanks Rocky. That's my problem with the Glock too. It's not the quality of the gun it's they physical shape of the gun.

Anyway this all gives me a lot to think about.

I was gonna mention a Mak until he said ammo available at the corner filling station.:)
    Brad B.

Yeah otherwise it'd be an obvious choice. It's still not a bad idea just not what I'm trying to find.

Euc? I think I mentioned a Star PD in 45ACP. It's basically a compact 1911 alloy frame. Always been a good shooter and easliy able to break down should you decide to carry the slide and BBL assembly. They sell for around 225.00 to 275.00 in different ares. VERY dependable too. Might be "just the ticket" for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Thanks Rocky. That's my problem with the Glock too. It's not the quality of the gun it's they physical shape of the gun.
    It think it should be mandatory for a person to spend 3 months and a thousand rounds with a Glock before they are allowed to say they don't fit their hand. I expect we would be hearing a whole lot less of this

Monty

Smaller glocks sure dont fit my hand.. but the fullsize does but still to some people the funky grip angle just dont fit them

Here's the problem I have Monty that cannot be corrected:

If I bring a Glock up to eye level and look through the rear sight, I am looking at the top of the slide and not the front sight. In order to compensate I have to carefully tilt my hand forward at a very unnatural angle.

I have a strong feeling that in actual operation this translates to constantly shooting too high. I don't like that the first thing I see through the rear sight isn't the front sight.

The problem is less pronounced with the compact models but still present. The Glock 19 for example is the Glock I almost like because it does the best job of correcting this problem but manages to fail... you still see the top of the slide right behind the front sight and not the sight itself.

If Glock would ever correct this problem I'd get me a Glock because they're so common and they come in all sorts of configurations with the same manual of arms. Why they haven't changed this is beyond me. Surely I'm not the first to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    It think it should be mandatory for a person to spend 3 months and a thousand rounds with a Glock before they are allowed to say they don't fit their hand. I expect we would be hearing a whole lot less of this

Monty
    I dunno about that. I've had several Glocks. 2-19's 2-23's 2-27's 1-33 1-22 I've tried the early frames, Gen 2 and 3 frames and they still feel a bit strange to me. BUT that's my own opinion.
    I've also had the grip adaptors and Peirce Extentions too. I wish the grip angle wasn't such that I felt my hand in a position of a pointing downward mode. Otherwise, Glock makes a fantastic weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Here's the problem I have Monty that cannot be corrected:

If I bring a Glock up to eye level and look through the rear sight, I am looking at the top of the slide and not the front sight. In order to compensate I have to carefully tilt my hand forward at a very unnatural angle.
    It can be corrected, but not by picking one up and playing with it at the gun store. If you bought one and used it for a few months you would find it points perfectly, it just isn't what you are use to. But then you would find your other pistols for some strange reason point low.

Monty

It can be corrected, but not by picking one up and playing with it at the gun store. If you bought one and used it for a few months you would find it points perfectly, it just isn't what you are use to. But then you would find your other pistols for some strange reason point low.

Monty
    Guess that doesn't qualify me as a "casual user" I've had many in my time, I love the weapon, but always find myself looking down at the end of the slide. Points high to me, and my wrist feels weird in the position in order to fire the weapon.. but then again.. like i said.. it must be more me than anything

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Guess that doesn't qualify me as a "casual user" I've had many in my time, I love the weapon, but always find myself looking down at the end of the slide. Points high to me, and my wrist feels weird in the position in order to fire the weapon.. but then again.. like i said.. it must be more me than anything
    What do you shoot most the time and when you Glocked did you Glock exclusively? Sounds like this might need another thread.

Just as a test I went a grabbed a Glock 19, S&W 642 and a Makarov. Starting with eyes closed and using a just below eye level lap shade as a target I brought each handgun up with eyes closed to see where the sights fell.

The Glock, little surprise, sights perfect for elevation but a slight tad to the left for some reason.

The 642, right on, grip angle feels the same as the Glock.

The Makarov, points way low as I expect a lot of other pistols would since I am oriented to the Glock grip angle.

For what it is worth...and by the way, which Class3???

Monty

Lead Moderator

Monty
    I don't want to get used to a Glock. My HK and Taurus have manual safeties, and its something I want. I would own a Glock but don't want to screw up my natural point of aim from 1 gun to another. This is why I got a PT, grips are similar to my HK USP.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I don't want to get used to a Glock. My HK and Taurus have manual safeties, and its something I want. I would own a Glock but don't want to screw up my natural point of aim from 1 gun to another. This is why I got a PT, grips are similar to my HK USP.
    Can't argue with that. My advice was more directed to someone like Euc who doesn't have alot of semi-auto experience or really want to Glock but doesn't cause they say they don't fit. I've been thinking of getting another Sig and if I do I'll probably clean house of my Glocks at the same time and get an XD because I don't want to be switching back and forth between the different grip angles.

Monty

I personally dont notice the differnt grip andgles as much i can go from glock to 1911 in smae range session ans still be dead on must just be me

Monty has given me a thread idea.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links