I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

This is a discussion on I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh boy!! Euc's on a roll......hehehe <just kidding you > Monty? When I was shooting my Glocks (I owned a 23 and 27 respectivly) I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

Thumbs up

Oh boy!! Euc's on a roll......hehehe <just kidding you >
    Monty? When I was shooting my Glocks (I owned a 23 and 27 respectivly) I found both to point high. The 23 was a Gen 2 frame with a Pachmyre slip on grip adaptor, and the 27 was a Gen 3 frame with a Peirce adaptor. The others I previously owned <can you tell I DO like em> also pointed high, with me physically pointing in a downward position in order to bring sights into battery. I'm not against em in any way, I just find it strange for me to point it. Just like some shooters can't get accustomed to draw the weapon squeeze the cocker and fire <as in my P7's> I'm sure if anybody trins long enough with a weapon, they become VERY proficient in it's use. Heck, someday I may attempt it again. I'll just need to rummage through my holster bin again LOL

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    It think it should be mandatory for a person to spend 3 months and a thousand rounds with a Glock before they are allowed to say they don't fit their hand. I expect we would be hearing a whole lot less of this
    A thousand rounds and six months won't change the fact that the finger grooves sit right in the middle of my fingers, not between them. The position amplifies recoil and is downright painful.

I own one Glock - a gen 1 G17 without said grooves. I shoot acceptably with it to 10m, then things with better triggers smoke it consistently.

I've seen enough people personally that the gun is too small for at the shop - and enough where the folks with *big* hands have problems similar with or worse than mine.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    When I was shooting my Glocks (I owned a 23 and 27 respectivly) I found both to point high.
    That's the Luger grip balance versus HP/1911 in play. I point high with my Luger too.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    A thousand rounds and six months won't change the fact that the finger grooves sit right in the middle of my fingers, not between them. The position amplifies recoil and is downright painful.
    That's very true. My G19 finger grooves hit me wrong until I fixed it. I ground that annoying hump at the bottom rear of the trigger guard down until my fingers fall exactly where they should, plus I get a higher grip on the pistol. Win/Win. Won't work for everyone but sure did work for me.

Monty

very good point...Ive had a few "wear" marks on my hand from the serrations on the rear of the grip...I have sanded them down on a few Glocks to smooth them out...with a nail file. Not all the way...just enough so they blend better...you cant do that on a steel or alloy framed pistol..well...you can, but you'd have to get it refinished.
    Brad B.

Monty? By the comment"Which Class3" are you talking about? Are you pertaining to Class3 weapons in general? As for that, I was a 03 dealer at one time and I own about 22 registered full auto weapons. BTW I have had the chance to shoot a Glock 18 from another Dealer friend of mine, but that was many years ago. It was basically a 9MM with a selector switch on it. I've also shot the Berette 93R which was a really sweet item to shoot. I'm in NO way bashing The Glock in any of my coments, just that I've owned about 350 handguns in my time <I'm 52 now> and sort of have a feel for what I'm talking about I've sold weapons since 1979, and have had the passon since I was 20 yrs old. Seeing that you've mentioned about the "pick up the gun and close your eyes sight thing" it brings to mind my doing that exact manuver. long ago, I picked up my HK P7, S&W ASP with Guttesnipe sights, <a 39 that was customized way prior to the 469, 3913 series> a Browning Hi-Power, and Colt Commander. I found that the Colt, H&K, and ASP sighted exactly where I pointed them. NOW, I still have the ASP, The P7, and have tried it with two of the Glocks I've owned. The ASP, and H&K sighted perfectly (the H&K slightly low possibly due to my age) LOL. I did notice that the two Glocks (a 27 and 19 ) pointed the slide/muzzle high and to the slight right. Please believe me when I tell you I'm in NO way bashing Glock, as they're exceptional weapons. They just don't fit, nor sight the best in my hand.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    EAA's Compact Polymer CZ Clones - inexpensive ($260 in CDNN), reliable, comes in the 3 most popular calibers, but I don't know if you would be any better off than with the "pitted slide" Sig 226 that CDNN has for the same amount. I personally would not consider either good carry guns, as they are double stack and full length slides. If you want to go a little more money, On Point firearms has Kahr 9mm Coverts (polymer & stainless, very light, single stack 6+1) for $414.

As for that, I was a 03 dealer at one time and I own about 22 registered full auto weapons. BTW I have had the chance to shoot a Glock 18 from another Dealer friend of mine, but that was many years ago. It was basically a 9MM with a selector switch on it. I've also shot the Berette 93R which was a really sweet item to shoot. I'm in NO way bashing The Glock in any of my coments, just that I've owned about 350 handguns in my time <I'm 52 now> and sort of have a feel for what I'm talking about
    Yeah, was talking about Class 3 weapons. 22 full auto weapons! Sweet! That's alot of hungry mouths to feed! I played with a HK PDW at Knob Creek one year, was a fun but very expensive experience. So which is your favorite?

I thought the list of 80 or so firearms I have owned in my 15 years doing this (since 21) was insane, 350 handguns alone and 22 class 3, WOW! Marriage slowed me way down almost 9 years ago, probably was a good thing, my collection is very slim now days but still more than I find time to shoot.

I respect anyone's opinion that has tried a Glock and found it not to their liking or not high on their list. It isn't perfect for everyone. I don't think it is perfect for me, just the one I have settled on for now The ones who talk about a Glocks shortfall and have never seriously tried one do aggrevate me though. It wasn't until I had gone through about a half dozen Glocks before I seriously gave one a try and it completely changed my outlook on them. The grip is different than other pistols but easily conditioned to if you use that grip angle exclusively, at least that has been my experience. YMMV.

Thanks for sharing about the Class 3!

Monty

Thumbs up

Hi Monty
    Yup. 22 of em, mainly due to my being a 03 dealer..Since 21 yrs old, I've been buying, seelling and trading guns. I've kept many of them, but due to trying to find the perfect handgun, I've traded many also.
    I've had about 8 Glocks, in various models and calibers, and unfortunatly I find I still have a tough time with pointability. I DO love the concept of the gun, or otherwise I'd just buy only one Glock, try it, and then sell or trade it, and never go back to the Pistol. I'm still hoping some day to be able to feel comfy with one in my hand. I wish they would think of moving the angle of the Grip by a couple of degrees, as I'm sure they would get the rest of us as Glock users
    I'd stake my life on one if I had to. I know they're that reliable. (did plenty of LE Purchases in my time for several PD's buying Glocks) Most depts love em, due to the reilability, and then the COST factor (L E O's get to side step the FET on the guns, making them sooo much cheaper)
    NOT BRAGGING in any way, but just sharing a bit of my collection I have with the friends I have here. I was just lucky enough to get this stuff before all the prices went crazy. I'm hoping my 2 boys will care for them after I'm gone. The 14 yr-old is big into it, but the 16 yr-old isn't interested, go figure
    Colt "Ahbu Dabi" M16 11.5" with M203 under it (one tax stamp)
    Colt 16A1 W/M203 (one tax stamp)
    Maramont M60 LMG "D model" ( I also have the short BBL for it )
    MG 34 and MG 42 (belt feds)
    1918A2 B A R Winchester Mfg ( British loaner gun WWII )
    1921 Colt Thompson
    1921/28 "Overstamp" (Was a 21 but they added the Cutts Compensator)
    1928A1 Savage Mfg
    H&K MP5A3SD
    H&K MP5A3
    H&K 53A3
    H&K 51A3
    Chinese AK47 type 56
    Ruger AC556K (stainless)
    Ruger AC556F Folder
    UZI's Micro, Mini, and Carbine (all 9MM)
    Macs (Powder Springs guns)
    M10 45 ACP (Export model with NO threads for supressor VERY RARE)
    M10 9MM with "can"
    M11 380ACP stamped 9MM (MAC error. Re-milled the Recvr to state 380 ACP)
    So there ya have it. I'm going to get a full pic of the above stuff and post it soon. I'm sure my 14 yr-old (He drools when we go shooting them, not to mention the "excitment" he gets from his shooting them LOL I know will surely help me place them for the pics)
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 17th, 2005 at 04:59 PM.

I'm hoping my 2 boys will care for them after I'm gone.
    How does that kind of transfer work? Will they have to pay a tax stamp on each of them when they take possession? Mostly insignifigant compared to the value of the weapons but still a chunk of change and some paperwork I would expect.

That's a nice list

Monty

Man i wanna visit your house i just wanna try the mp5's i promise

Thumbs up

Hi Monty
    The transfers are valid if they're passed down to a decendent as follows:

The firearms may be transferred on a tax-exempt basis to a lawful heir. The executor would apply on ATF Form 5, Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of a Firearm, for a tax-exempt transfer to a lawful heir. A lawful heir is anyone named in the decedent's will or, in the absence of a will, anyone entitled to inherit under the laws of the State in which the decedent last resided. NFA firearms may be transferred directly interstate to a beneficiary of the estate. When a firearm is being transferred to an individual heir, his or her fingerprints on FBI Forms FD-258 must accompany the transfer application. However, if any Federal, State or local law prohibits the heir from receiving or possessing the firearm, ATF will not approve the application...
    It seems all they need to do is fill out the paperwork, (on Form 5's) fingerprint cards, provide a certificate of my death <not TOO soon I hope> proof they are my next of Kin, present my will, stating ALL my weapons will be transfereed to the Son who wishes them most, and they will be transfered without fees. Hope Uncle sam doesn't change things too soon.

Thumbs up

Bud? you may never leave here after doing that LMAO

Euc? Sorry for my slipping sideways on the thread...Have you decided yet what you're going to purchase for your next travel gun?
    I sometimes get on a roll and forget what the heck I'm doing LOL.. I'm wondering if it's an "Old Age " thing I'm heading toward LOL

I'm still not commited to the idea Class3.

I was mainly trying to see if the idea of a compact .45 was a good one for this purpose.

Yes it is, but they just don't make the gun I'd be happy with at the price I want to pay for it. Like I said, I didn't want to pay more than the cost of an insurance policy.

I have learned if I'm going to seriously do this, I simply need to look at another caliber, probably .40 S&W or else 9x19. What I'm looking for at the price I want to pay for it just doesn't exist.

Part of this was me trying once again to unsuccessfully control the number of calibers I have to own. I already have a 9x19 platform and I actually like the catridge a lot. I want to try .45 ACP some day too. I was trying to kill two birds in one stone: have a gun in .45 ACP and have this little niche filled at the same time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links