I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. - Page 5

I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

This is a discussion on I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That't why I was suggesting the Star PD. VERY reliable weapon, as it's based on the 1911 frame. Lightweight Alloy frame, machined steel slide, with ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I'm considering a travel/throwaway piece.

That't why I was suggesting the Star PD. VERY reliable weapon, as it's based on the 1911 frame. Lightweight Alloy frame, machined steel slide, with a 3.5 in BBL. PRICE is cheap at around 250.00 (They're all used) That place in Maine has one, and I've already looked at it. Also (gulp) I was considering the SW40VE for the very same purpose. I know Sigmas have a bad rap, but at 235.00 used and 320.00 new, if you tune it up a little, til you're 110% comfy with it, the pistol should supplimant the purpose. I have one on hold in Maine so I can look at it real good. What Mafgers are you considering? I know you spoke of Sig and Taurus, but who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I have learned if I'm going to seriously do this, I simply need to look at another caliber, probably .40 S&W or else 9x19. What I'm looking for at the price I want to pay for it just doesn't exist.
    Have you considered the KT 9mm. Generally reliable, cheap, easy to carry, great warranty and a very crappy long DA trigger pull. Should be perfect for a revolver guy like yourself. I've had two and was not really dissatisified with either one, there was just something I wanted more so they both went as part of different trades (one actually for a Sigma which never gave me a bit of trouble).

Monty

The Star might not be a bad idea, but if it's the Star pistol I'm thinking of it's basically a 9mm chambered 1911 clone. Or maybe it was more like a BHP clone; I don't remember. That would be a lot of fun to shoot tin cans with, but I remember the one I saw was a pretty big pistol. It was very thing however. I have to admit I don't know my Star pistols very well. The other issue I have with such a thing is that spare magazines, etc. are somewhat tricky to acquire. You might be talking about another model I don't know of though, and even then I don't know where I'd get such a thing locally.

KT suggestion noted.

I'll play with a Sigma, but the trouble is that a Sigma is a Glock clone and the Glock doesn't foot the bill either. Even if it is reliable, which a new one probably is, I have to wonder if it points and handles like a Glock too. If it fit okay it might be ideal. It is disgustingly common, I wouldn't really care for it, and I wouldn't mind losing it. This would be something I'd go shoot 1000 rounds through and after that just put it in the practice rotation.

I've heard that the Sigma series pretty much only "craps out" when it's fired a lot. I'd put a lot through it initially of course, but I probably would only take it out every once in a while thereafter. Once I was satisfied it worked I wouldn't try to find excuses to shoot it. But to be honest I'd just as soon buy that Taurus and avoid the Sigma experience entirely if I was going to go that route.

I'm pretty much looking at all real gun companies.
    Last edited by Euclidean; May 18th, 2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Add something

sm
    Understand I am a 1911, BHP, OLD S&W K frame kind of guy.

I have one "niche" gun that fits the Criteria asked for - my Keltec P-11.

I was asked to Tear this one up and run it thru the paces, T&E if you will. About as far from what I grew up with, and prefer as I could get. I kept this one, I guess I have ~ 20k rds thru it. Even had some groundhogs make me "fearful" and since they interupted my 2k rds in 2 days of shooting...I cleared the range. *ahem*

Will I buy another poly gun? Probably not. The smallest CCW I am comfortable with is a 9mm in a semi, .38spl in a revolver.

This P-11 fills a "niche" for me. Since I am a older returning student, and State Statutes says no CCW on campus - I don't park on campus. Easy to render useless, except for parts, when apart and locked up. Easy to put back for CCW on my drive home from a night class that lets out at 9:30pm.

9mm ammo is available anywhere, heck worst case - Blazer FMJ will work, that shot placment dealie. I shot my Carry ammo up ( lost count) in PA, used the Blazers until I stopped in KY and got some JHPs. Then Stopped in TN for some more. ( actually stopped for BBQ in Nashville and the gun store pulled out in front of me - you know how it goes)

All 5 mags have had at least 200 rds fired thru them ( my requirement) of various loadings, so I have known loadings to select from. I have bought ammo for it from PA to TX and points in b/t.

If I were rich, I'd use a Commander 1911 for this purpose, or a 3" RB K frame - since I'm not, this fills the niche for me.

Groundhogs btw look at you and laugh...they only die with a grin.
    Use Enough Gun

Hehe... I think I found the answer.

http://www.bersa-llama.com/cat_thunder45.html

It's cheap, it's chambered in .45 ACP, it's small, it's light, and while not common as dirt it's easily replaceable and I won't be pissed if it gets taken for evidence.

It's not really a configuration I like nor a gun I would want to use for any kind of competition shooting. It does have an external safety and I was hoping to avoid that, but it's worth considering.

The only thing that kind of kills me about the Bersas is you buy the gun for 200-370 dollars depending on what you get, and then the magazines cost 30-40 each. Of course I could get away with 2 or 3 factory mags and I'm sure there's some Pro Mag cheapies out there.

It's also not something I'd want to fire thousands upon thousands of times, but like I said, I'd shoot a boat load at first and then just occassionally.

Edit: Please don't anyone mention the Llama Max and Mini Max pieces, which have a bad reputation. People get Bersa and Llama confused because they're imported by the same people.
    Last edited by Euclidean; May 18th, 2005 at 07:10 PM.

Hehe... I think I found the answer.

http://www.bersa-llama.com/cat_thunder45.html

It's cheap, it's chambered in .45 ACP, it's small, it's light, and while not common as dirt it's easily replaceable and I won't be pissed if it gets taken for evidence.
    Wow...that was a long way around. After all Euc, you yourself suggested the Bersa Thunder in another thread on how to start CCW cheaply. But maybe you were not aware that they had a .45 version...I've thought about getting one of these .45's myself. I've read good things about them being inexpensive but well made, but have never personally shot one!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I had no clue they made a .45. I knew they made a 9mm.

My chief complaint about it is that Bersa saves money with South American labor and using cheaper materials. They do have very well designed and fitted guns, they're just not made out of the nicer materials we're used to. I don't know how well one of their offerings in such a caliber would hold up over time.

But as I was saying, it's a throwaway anyway. Even then, unless I found a real deal on one, I think it's better to just shop around and see what falls out of the monkey tree. But it's another option.

My chief complaint about it is that Bersa saves money with South American labor and using cheaper materials. They do have very well designed and fitted guns, they're just not made out of the nicer materials we're used to.
    The materials used would be my main stalling point on this, ya just don't know.

Pretty good buy overall it seems
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=32208214

Monty

Edited to add, but used is the way to go. Not having paper on all your guns could be a good thing, especially if doing so is perfectly legal where you live. Keep the eyes open.

Euc?
    I saw that Star <not Bersa> as Star is made in Argentina last time I knoew.. That place in maine has one for 250.00. It is as follows..
    Stock# 87385 STAR PD HANDGUN: PISTOL 45 ACP $250.00 4in.,BOX, PAPERS 92%
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976379723.htm <-for sale @ G A for 325.00
    Pic of it above. Hope it helps BTW, I've had two of them, worked exceptionally well, with NO problems at all. I traded em for other items and wouldn't give it a second thought about buying another one :thumbup:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links